• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more



Allergic to fruit????

pesty

Fighting the bulge
#1
Hello,

Is it just me????

When i was younger my mum told me that i was allergic to cherries and pineapple because my lips and eyes swell up like a balloon.

Ive recently noticed more and more that i get really itchy blistered lips when i eat nectarines, plums and peaches.

The obvious answer would be dont eat them, trouble is I LOVE FRUIT!!! It seems to be when the fruit is over ripe and squidgy then it doesnt bother me but i dont really like it like that!! lol

Am i a weirdo haha xx
 
Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!
#3
Could be to do with the pesticides maybe? Have you tried giving them a good wash with washing up liquid first (sounds mad but gets the residue off I'm told)...don't try that for pineapple obviously!!
 
#4
maybe its the extra sugar produced when the fruit is over-ripe? Or fruits with a high concentrate of sugar?
 
#5
My 6 year old son has a reaction when he has bananas and oranges.Although blood tests came back negative ,he gets swollen eyes, wheezy ,cough etc when he eats them.Do you notice your symptpms if you only have a small amount of these fruits?It is easy to say avoid it but when you enjoy it it is SOOO hard to do (I am the the same with cheese, think i'm allergic to certain types, but just can't do without it)!!!!
 

Fray

Full Member
#6
I get a bad mouth from pineapple! :(
 

pesty

Fighting the bulge
#8
Thanks for all the replies!!! I posted then had to suddenly log off haha

Allie - i do suffer very badly from hayfever, im on tablets, eye drops, nasal sprays and i still sneeze at least 15 times a day!! lol

Fray - I get a bad mouth from pineapple too, also when i eat mango it tastes like eating a spoonful of pepper to me!!

Xassy - i think i might book an appointment, i think maybe its something they're sprayed with as its only sometimes.

xx
 
#9
I used to be able to eat any fruit, now I am allergic to Kiwis, Raspberries and peaches. I thought it was yet another symptom of the menopause!!! :/
 
#10
A lot of folk have a reaction to pineapple because it's so acidic resulting in ulcers, lesions and redness.

One of my friends is allergic to the pectin in fruit, especially apples and pears which have a high concentration, so has to be very wary about what he eats and has to carry an epi pen about with him!
 
#11
A lot of people have allergies to fruit. I would suggest asking your doctor to send you for an allergy test so you can find out what fruits you're not allergic to so you know what's left to enjoy!!
 

pesty

Fighting the bulge
#12
A lot of people have allergies to fruit. I would suggest asking your doctor to send you for an allergy test so you can find out what fruits you're not allergic to so you know what's left to enjoy!!

I like this idea - it would be best to know - i just washed a plum very thoroughly and ate it and although it was very yummy the back of my throat is now itching like mad!!

Can they specifically tell you which fruits?? :rolleyes:
 
#13
I am not allergic to fresh pineapple but can't eat too much of it - tongue turns to sandpaper!!

Lots of people are allergic to strawberries - poor them!!

I know someone who is allergic to apples, plums, strawberries and runner beans - but is fine with other types of fruit and vegetables.

It is all a matter of trial and error to find out what you can safely eat.
 

alwyn

Silver Member
#14
I used to be allergic to strawberries but grew out of it!
 
#16
as far as I know, they do a little scratch test on your arm with about 10 different things, can be anything you might be allergic to, so if you said fruit, they'd probably just focus on fruits. Then they put droplets of the extract/substance on a grid like pattern on your arm, scratch the skin slightly to let it penetrate, then you go back to see which ones have reacted.

I seem to recall a friend of mine having it done privately years ago too.
 

pesty

Fighting the bulge
#17
as far as I know, they do a little scratch test on your arm with about 10 different things, can be anything you might be allergic to, so if you said fruit, they'd probably just focus on fruits. Then they put droplets of the extract/substance on a grid like pattern on your arm, scratch the skin slightly to let it penetrate, then you go back to see which ones have reacted.

I seem to recall a friend of mine having it done privately years ago too.
I remember watching something like that on embarresing bodies!!

I will definitly call my doctor and check it out!

Thanks
Xxx
 
#18
I have an anaphylactic reaction to pineapple, fortunately it's a fairly easy fruit to avoid. If you think the problem might be pesticides, there is some special liquid for washing chemicals off fruit and veg - I think Lakeland stock it.
 
Last edited:
#19
If you get a horrible itchy tongue eating pineapple it's because of the little black seeds inside the fruit. If you cut those out you should be ok. (A malaysian friend taught me that. I couldn't work out why fresh pineapple I prepared made my tongue horrible but M and S fresh pineapple was fine - it's because they cut it smaller so remove the seeds)
 


Similar threads