Almond Milk

yummywhitewine

I've looked through this forum and others and there seems to be some grey area on Almond milk (unsweetened). Some forums say YAY! and some say NAY..

Has anyone had any success/ lack of success through using it.

Having looked at the statts for it per 100 ml it is lower than skimmed milk in every thing.
Energy kJ/kcal55 / 13-Protein0.4 g-Carbohydrates0.1 g-Sugars0.1 g-Lactosenil-Fat1.1 g-Saturates0.1 g-Cholesterolnil-Fibre0.4 g-Sodium0.05 g-(Equivalent as salt)0.13 g-Calcium120 mg*-D20.75 µg*-E1.80 mg*-

I find the whole Dukan thing with milk, both skimmed and in general. Totally bloody confusing! Some people (and the book) say unlimited, some say 1K a day and some say 250ml of milk a day.
As a latte lover I am curious to know how everyone gets on with milk in general on this diet. Also looking at the nutritional values and carbs surely my latte's would be better with almond milk than skimmed!!

I'm going to experiment over the next week of my cruise with tentatively using almond milk instead of skimmed .... However if anyone has had any dire consequences from using it then please do shout!!!:confused:

LIVE chat today, 2012-15-08 at 2:00 pm EST / Live Chat / My lounge / My slimming apartment / US - Dukan US
Join us for a LIVE chat today, October 3 at 5:00 pm EST / Live Chat / My lounge / My slimming apartment / US - Dukan US

Just to hi light my confusion. above are two links off the "official" web site chat.. The learned Rodriguo the expert dukanner makes two completely different statements. First link he says no to someone asking about almond milk. Second he says yay to someone else!! WTF

I've used the 'no added sugar' Almond Milk before - fine for me.

P x

Cheers Pauline! I'll give it a whirl then. I really like it. And logically surely it has to be better?? When i put my stats for the day into Mfp I'm doing about 30 carbs a day of skimmed milk. If i have the equivalent on almond milk i have less that 1g carbs! So I can still have a fair few "skinny" lattes hopefully with less carby's..

Hi I've used the almond milk a few times, the diamond breeze one was the nicest, but it was on offer at the time. I did find a few days I stalled on weight, but there was no definitive answer that it was the milk and not the hormones for me LOL.

Over the last eight months I have spent time counting my dairy and on other months not bothering at all. To be honest, neither have made a difference. It is said by a lot of us that if you find that your weight stalls or you gain then reduce your dairy for a while. Nothing in the book says to count your milk, it just says you can have it because it can make drinks better.

0% dairy is unlimited in my book.

So i put the arguement, if you were following your book and never found a forum or googled a question, you would follow the rules in the book strictly and would still lose weight. The book after all is the 'coach' we all reach for and have as our bible.

So see how you go with it for say a week, if you find weight is not shifting then you know too much dairy is not helping, reduce it and see how it goes.

Its all a personal thing as too much dairy for one person may not make a difference, yet to another its a gain in weight.

Sounds good advice to me! I do think that milk seems to slow me down. Going to try and consume in sensible quantities! I'm one of those people that the words "unlimited food/drink" is dangerous for as I take it literally. :)

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any unsweetened almond milk to try over here - all sweetenened versions in local shops. So I can't give it a go although I quite like the sound of it.

Dairy really isn't a problem for me. I know that there is supposedly a 1kilo limit on all dairy products, even if 0% fat, because of the natural lactose sugars it contains, but honestly, you do have to eat a lot to get to 1 kilo in a day! A yoghurt for breakfast, cottage cheese for lunch, milk in tea and coffee and some quark in my muffins was about as far as the dairy totals went. I think it's probably just something to keep a lookout for if your weight starts to plateau.

Finally found it to try! Unsweetened diamond breeze - interesting stats when compared with skimmed milk. It is lower in cals, but also lower in protein, so I can see why it's not favoured by some. It's also higher in fat, although the fat is the non saturated variety, which is supposed to be better for you. I also note that the long life version contains tapioca starch, which is probably not a good idea on attack, though I guess it may be ok on cruise.

To compare, the stats for 100ml are-
14 kcal
0.5g protein
0.2g carbs
(0.1g sugars, 0g lactose)
1.2g fat
(0.1g saturates, 0 cholesterol)
0.3g fibre
0.05g sodium
120mg calcium.

100ml of skimmed milk gives you-
36 kcal
3.7g protein
4.8g carbs
(5g sugar)
0.2g fat
(all saturates)
0.2g fibre
0.05g sodium
147mg calcium

I'll give it a go for taste and see.

that was one of the things that attracted me cos it was less than the milk I used, but I won't drink it all the time, a special treat only.

i have bought some of this Almond milk, not quite sure what im supposed to do with it though apart from drink it. Was thinking about custard in a trifle maybe? What do others do with it?

I use unsweetened soya milk, have done since the beginning of doing Dukan and lost 100lbs so it works fine for me - also use natural flavoured soya yoghurts. One of my favourite treats is a cup of hot milk with sweetener and praline flavouring before bed - bliss, dukan-style! Try the Almond milk and see if it works for you, after all, this is meant to not just be a "diet" but also a workable way of eating long-term. Good luck x

Mmmh, not convinced! Found the almond milk not quite my taste, bit thin, and lacked the sort of, well, milky flavour I'd expected. But if it works for you.....

I used it in exactly the same ways as normal milk. On my porridge heated in microwave. Custard but careful it doesn't curdle. In my coffees.

But I only had it a couple of times because I wasn't convinced it hadn't stalled me. Once in Conso I'll think again.

Back