Am depressed today - weight has crept up and I can't seem to budge it this time

Seraphine

Hi all

I have been bouncing for months, but today I weighed myself and I've gone up to 180. I just can't seem to get it under control this time, and I'm really panicking. I've been doing low carb for 2 years, but always tend to fall off the rails during holidays. But I've usually been able to get things in check once I get home.

I've been having asthma trouble since January and started taking steroids. I'm off them now, but I feel like I'd put 5 pounds on each course I took, and now these pounds just won't budge. I can be good for weeks and it just doesn't shift. Which of course tends to lend me to pigging out on things I know I can't have.

So now it appears I've put on about half the weight I fought so hard 2 years ago to take off. I lost 50, and have put 25 back on. I'm feeling sick and disgusted with myself. I have a big family reunion coming in July, which is now just around the corner, and I really am worried about how I'm going to get back on track in time.

I've got food panic this morning - I don't want to eat anything. I'm doubting myself and whether or not I need to try something else (not low-fat, but am wondering if a shake plan will snap me out of this funk? I need to stop thinking about food so much, and maybe should I just take it out of the equation for a while?)

My husband just started Atkins this week and has been having a rough time - he's not happy, but I think he's realising that it's still easier to live with than a lot of plans (although he misses fruit, and worries about what it will be like for business travel... that's usually his downfall). He asked me yesterday if I needed a change as my weight has been creeping and he's worried about me and how upset I get.

I don't know what to do from here.

Sorry to hear you are having such a rough time. I've literally just started Atkins, so couldnt give any practical advice, I just wanted to pass by and say "dont give up" you have done well, especially through times of illness. x

The steady weight gain is something I can relate to. And weight just doesn't come off as easily as it used to. I think my own years of dieting have affected my metabolism. Low carb has kept my weight steady but still high, hence why I am going for full blown Atkins ! It's the only thing that seems to shock my body into action.
So I do feel for you , it's so damn frustrating :(

I feel ya!
After my first son i joined slimming world at 14st 2lb and lost 1 and half stone in 4 months. 3 months later i got down to ny lightest of 11st 10lb. I only had 10lb left! Now that was 4 yrs ago...i gained and gained and by last may i was 13st 13lb...found out i was pregnant..after tj i lost all the weight and was back to 13st 13lb the day after i gave birth. I also breastfeed exclusivly...but instead of slowly gettin thinner i am now tge biggest ever at 15st 1lb :,(

Now i find i am no longer motivated to do slimming world...calorie counting was boring and i was forever adding up...i craved chocolate bread and biscuits. Now doin atkins since tuesday on phase 3 as im nursing...and i feel better for it....its true when they say a change is as good as a break. Try somethibg you havent done or even havent done for years!!

Hope that helps even a little xx

calorie counting journey!! start:: 14s 8lb current:: 14s 7lbs... 43lbs to go!!

Steroids make life so hard - they're how I gained a lot of weight and unfortunately if that's how the affect you then whatever diet plan you do will be a lower, tougher experience.., and if you're doing shakes without great results it might drive you nuts. That said, you've been low carb for a long time. You know it works but maybe you've also gotten bored with it and things can creep in when you're bored. Try calorie counting or WW and see how you go on them - maybe they'll be great, and if not you'll have better motivation to start over strictly on low carb.

Come on honey you can do this. Just keep your head up.

Do you keep a food diary? Are you writing it all down? Are you checking your triggers?

I have every faith in you.

I know this is hard to sympathise with, but I've just been on holiday AGAIN. Cheapo package beach deal in Greece. Diet TOTALLY out of the window, worst week of eating I've had in a year. Chips, kebabs, crisps, cocktails, bread rolls, and one enormous ice cream. Utter junk. Dreadful. I've gained at least half a stone if not more (my scales are crap), although a proportion of this will be water weight.

You mention problems with holidays too. With situations like this, the only cure I can see is simply to get straight back on the wagon and be totally resolute about it, just make that decision. My rule is that the second I'm through the front door I'm back on a low carb, grain free diet, no ifs or buts. The instant I give myself just "one more day" off, I'd be doomed.

If you're on the wagon and it's not working, rather than giving up dieting completely or trying something else, maybe have a go at tweaking your low carb diet? Add some different veg, or more veg, or fruit? I don't know what you do for exercise, but maybe changing that might help- weights maybe? The phenomenon of low carb working for a while and then not anymore is quite common, and people seem to do best by upping their carb level a bit. Maybe not as much as I just did, and not with utter junk, ok? ;)

I've been off diet do two weeks on holiday but before that I stalled for four weeks running. It's seems I'll have to up my carbs as induction is leaving me knackered and in starvation mode at around 1000 calories a day. I totally feel your frustration but as boggins and a few other have told me keep tweaking till you find what works for you. I'm going to measure myself from Monday too, I'm sure I'm changing shape but not weight.

Atkins is great but it seems to be a diet we need to fit to ourselves. I hope you find what you are looking for :)

Thanks everyone. I'm trying, but it's so hard.

I'm still quite hard core (I tend to keep my carbs under 25-30/day), but have found myself cheating with the odd chocolate binge or chips. It sometimes doesn't happen more than 2 or 3 times a month, but that's really too many times I guess. I think maybe I've "broken" my ability to get into a good ketosis.

I can't think of how many rounds of steroids I've been on since January... probably upwards of 10? (week long courses) I'm okay at the moment, but I'm worried the damage is done. I'm so swollen looking, and I just feel FAT. And because I can't shift any pounds it's just feeling really hopeless.

Compounding that is my husband has lost 4 pounds this week since Monday, and is dreadfully disappointed... he can't handle the low-carb lifestyle and is giving up tonight. I think 4 bloody pounds is pretty fantastic! He thinks I should rethink eating like this because it doesn't seem to be doing me any good, but I don't know how else to eat anymore :( I really don't know what to eat.

Should I add more carbs? Cut portion sizes? Find a new plan?

When I go on holiday, I usually let the low-carbing go but do try to get back on track as soon as I get home. This has worked in the past... we went on a 3 week holiday in September 2011, and I put 10 pounds on. A week or two back on low carb fixed that no problem. But since then, my weight has crept and crept and crept. Now I can't budge it. We have another big holiday in July and instead of being happy about going, I'm starting to worry about it. I don't fit my holiday clothes, I don't want to go to this reunion and show how I couldn't keep it off, I don't want to have to explain to my mom that I'm trying, but I just can't do it. Now that my husband (who is trying to say these things nicely, but it still hurts as he's NEVER made comments about my weight) is worried about my eating like this (he thinks I eat too much fat, and can't wrap his head around this at all), it's just making it all very apparent that I have to make some changes fast.

I'm sorry to dump all this on you guys, but I'm just having a really hard time.

You know it works. You know the science. Why let this 'bump' get to you. You know medication is the problem not this WOE.

Commit your head and your body will follow.

I don't think there is anything wrong with this way of eating either, especially since you have lost weight before. I'm not on steroids but quite a few other drugs and I'm under active thyroid so metabolicly damaged. I know there is an Atkins combination out there for me and I'm sure others would agree with me you need to give yourself a break from feeling bad.

You know Steroids do nasty powerfully things to your amex ((AMEX, i ment body lol) and pump you full of weight. It's not your fault you've gained this time and of course that is going to affect how you feel and affect you staying on track.

I have only had negative comments on my diet choice in real life outside of this forum, so come back here and talk to the people who will support your choices :)

Last edited:
I honestly don't think a choccie bar or crisps every fortnight is going to cause lasting damage to your metabolism. Some people swear by "cheat" or "refeed" days, there are entire diets based around what's called "spiking". It seems much more likely to me (not a medical professional, utterly unqualified) that your problem is a result of the steroids and would be a problem whatever you were eating. Steroids are chemical hormones, you're altering the hormonal make-up in your body- this is going to have effects regardless of what you eat or don't eat. It's gotta be a case of get the steroids out of your system- give it a while.

And I agree with BCL: go easy on yourself. No guilt. Remember this is a healthier way to eat even if you're not losing weight at the moment. Don't be disheartened, or at least, don't give up.

I'm just so pleased I'm not in steroids Anymore and I am so sorry you feel so low...

In my experience I'd have to say that anytime I inadvertently have sugar (hidden) in my diet it throws me out for at least a week ... I get huge hunger/cravings and my body holds water and I gain a few pounds ... So depressing ... I wouldn't mind if I bought a chocolate bar on purpose and sat and enjoyed the whole experience but other than having maybe 3 Atkins bars in the last year I've not had any sweets/chocolates ... But have stumbled on foods in restaurants with hidden sugars.. It's a nightmare ... Good luck with whatever you decide to do! Xx :)

Thank you all so much!

I'm still low about it - I've decided to just really watch my portion sizes (I have a tendency to overeat... as long as it's got no carbs, it's free right? Wrong...) and will try to exercise at least 3 times this week. I'm also going to try those vibro plate thingees (I've got several clients that swear by them). Also, more water. And less diet cola. I'm just hoping this all helps.

My asthma is currently good, but I still worry about the future (if I have another few months like this spring, I'll be over 200 pounds again easy). It's just so disheartening - I would take a course of them and it would almost happen overnight. Does anyone know how long it takes to get over this?

I'm going to start warning my mum in advance - it's her opinion that bothers me the most. I'm a lot bigger than her, and she just doesn't understand how I could be this size. She was so pleased (as was I) when I lost so much weight, but I feel like I'm really going to be judged over this. Everyone likes people to fail, don't they?

I gave away all my clothes when I got into smaller sizes. Now everything I have is too tight, and I'm so angry about it. I just didn't want to go backwards. Seeing all the bulges come back just makes me want to sob.

Okay - I'll stop moping and try to just get back to it. Thanks again for helping me stay on the path (my husband jumped ship last night and has gone back to Slimming World... oh well). xx

Oh bless you! It sounds horrible and I always feel one stumble away from undoing what I've achieved!

Draw a line... Start from scratch -re-read the book and the stickies on here! And keep posting - it really does help!!

Take care and hugs xxx

Hi I agree with alpaca, start again like a newbie, follow the rules exactly and it will work. Sometimes we can get into a panic when weight goes up and we want to loose it by a certain date, and then we try and change the rules (not eat enough fat or cut carbs) thinking the diet will work better.....in my experience it doesn't. You have done it before, you can do it again. Good luck

yep...DON'T GIVE UP! You've come this far and remember your successes! I've fallen off the waggon after only a week, BUT, I have realised just how much I turn to food and have put plans into place to combat it. I suffer from severe depression and feel like I am on a roller coaster most of the time, but I have to beat this AND my weight issues. I am seeing the nurse at my GP surgery today about my weight and hopefully this will kick me up the bum a bit and motivate me!
Good luck!

Hi how are you doing?

Have had to put everything on hold as stomach is really sore and cant even hold water...ewww...guess its a big clearout. x

Back