Angie Miller's Power Body: Kettlebell Bootcamp

carrot_tit

Gold Member
Does anyone have this DVD?

I bought it last week because i can't afford the Kettleworx one just yet. I watched it through to prepare myself and i'm stunned at the amount of sets there are! So i watched the Introduction expecting it would say beginners need to do the warm up, cool down and sets....... and then Intermediate do warm up, cool down and sets......, etc and you need to do it so many times of week but she didn't say any of that. As a complete beginner i'm not really sure which sets i should start with and it seems like way too long to do them all. I know the woman behind her does modified versions of the stuff she is doing so i need to follow her when possible but just confused on which sets and how much to do to start with.

If anyone has this and could offer me some advice i'd really appreaciate it.

Cheers everyone x

I don't have this but just looked at it on Amazon. It looks like there are 8 sets lasting 5 minutes each and then the warmup/cooldown. It seems to be designed so you can mix and match depending on how much time you have that day.

So, as a beginner, you could try the kettleworx model of 20 minutes 3 times a week to start, and see how you get on? Then if you wanted to increase a bit you could. I read one review that said she does sets 1-4 (plus warmup/cooldown) one workout and 5-8 the next - that's probably what I'd try if it were me. :)

(forgot to say, if you're completely new to the bells you could also start with 2 or 3 sets if needs be, and work up to 4. A lot of us couldn't get through the whole of our first kettleworx workout; better to work up to it than go he** for leather and then give up :) )

Thanks Plumfoodie :)

I think i'll go with you're suggestion and do warm up/cool down plus sets 1-4, etc for one workout.

I'm completely new to kettlebells. It all looks so easy when you see the DVD! I have to say though the workouts look longer than 5 mins each! They seemed to go on forever.

I'll let you know how i get one.

Thanks again

I have this DVD and the first time I did it I did sets 1 to 5. I hadn't watched it through before hand and didn't know that sets 6-8 where less intensive so i could have probably finished it that time.....however I was crippled afterwards....a lot of sore muscles. I find it really works the butt and thigh area.
but since then I do the entire workout start to finish...takes me about 45/50mins. I often need to pause between sets for a quick drink or just to reset myself and get my positions right for the next set. I do it at least once a week.
I still feel very nervous doing some of the swings with kicks(glute curl and side lift) so if i'm any way tired or not concentrating fully i tend to modify these to just regular swings...personally i just feel these put a bit of a strain on my back. I always feel like i'm not doing them right. to be honest i'd love to hear your opinion on these moves.
would advise you to do the training intro piece and try out all the moves....and don't be afraid to pause or do some of the reps without a bell. you'll get there in the end.
best of luck, looking forward to hearing how it goes.

I have this DVD and the first time I did it I did sets 1 to 5. I hadn't watched it through before hand and didn't know that sets 6-8 where less intensive so i could have probably finished it that time.....however I was crippled afterwards....a lot of sore muscles. I find it really works the butt and thigh area.
but since then I do the entire workout start to finish...takes me about 45/50mins. I often need to pause between sets for a quick drink or just to reset myself and get my positions right for the next set. I do it at least once a week.
I still feel very nervous doing some of the swings with kicks(glute curl and side lift) so if i'm any way tired or not concentrating fully i tend to modify these to just regular swings...personally i just feel these put a bit of a strain on my back. I always feel like i'm not doing them right. to be honest i'd love to hear your opinion on these moves.
would advise you to do the training intro piece and try out all the moves....and don't be afraid to pause or do some of the reps without a bell. you'll get there in the end.
best of luck, looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Thanks for the advice. In terms of the swing with kicks i found them extremely difficult and frankly i had so little coordination that i kept hitting myself with the bell. Very embarrassing. Here is my review of my first attempt:

OMG!!!!!! How hard was this!!!! After seeking some advice in the Kettlebell forum i decided i would do the warm up, attempt sets 1-4 and then do the stretch. I found the warm up slight frustrating as i have no natural sense of direction and kept getting the moves wrong even though they were fairly simple. I'm sure i'll get used to it once i've done it a few times. I then started on Set 1. The only move i managed properly was the double handed swing and boy was that exhausting, i could feel it pulling on the muscles in my stomach (proof at last that i still actually have some!) but the side lunges with the bell were very difficult and then when she speeded them up i left completely behind. I did as much as i could which to be fair was very little. Set 2 was the same, but by this point i was exhausted and struggling to do any of the moves. The double handed swing was the only one i could manage and i only managed a few reps of that because of the pull on my stomach. Finally i started set 3 and frankly turned if off after a few sessions. I honestly felt exhausted but so frustrated that i had managed so little. There are a lot of lunges and i'm just not sure i can manage even modified versions at the moment. Once i'd shut set 3 off i thought i'd better end with the stretches just to make sure i didn't hurt anything! Well you should have seen the move she did. There was no way i could have gotten so low down on the floor because i'm not flexible enough and it would kill my knees. I tried to a couple of the stretches i knew but not sure how effective they will be. Perhaps this was not the best kettlebell workout to start with!

I even tried a couple of the moves without the bell and still struggled! Me thinks i will just be doing the warm up, the into and my own stretches for a while yet!

oh i so know how you feel....I hate that dancey style stuff and am always glad i'm doing it i the privacy of my own home....at least no-one is there to witness how woefully uncoordinated I am.
stick with it, you'll find that each time you go back to try it that you can do a little more, and afterall that's a reasonable aim, to do a little more than before each time.
I tend to add in a few of my own stretches too..evan though i try Angies stretch I don't feel like i get anything out of it.
hope the next time is better!

Oh I'm starting tomorrow with tho DVD.... I hope I mange it ok lol

How is everyone getting on ? :)

Tbh i've not yet attempted it again. When i do it next i'm just going to do the warm up, then the intro section (it'll burn some fat) and then do my own cool down, just till i'm used to the moves with the bell and then i'll attempt the routine again.

Please let me know how you get on Shanny, we can compare notes then! Good Luck :)

So i tried the routine i mentioned before. I did her warm up, the introduction and the Stretch but added a few of my own leg stretches as i'm just not flexible enough to complete Angie's yet. So doing it this way means the workout is about 20mins long. I managed most of it, although i can't do the windmill's with the bell in the air. I can only do them with the bell by my side as my upper body strength is really poor. The only criticism i have is that when you are doing the single hand swaps (can't remember what she officially called them!) she instructed us to go back to doing double handed swings but didn't mention they would suddenly become single handed again and because i was looking straight forward i missed it happening. I also missed them swapping hands when doing single hand swings because she didn't actually say to swap, it just happened and again because i was looking forwards and not at the tv i missed it. Unless of course i was just concentrating so much i just didn't hear her? Anyway i think i'm just gonna keep at this until i perfect it before moving onto the actual workout.

I've been managing to do 3 sets lately. I just tried out sets 4 & 5 and I enjoyed them. Why didn't you enjoy it? Is it Angie Miller? Lol. I find her a bit annoying but you can turn her voice off which is good. I like the DVD because I like kettlebells but can't afford kettleworx at the moment. I did the whole 30 day shred last summer but didn't get good results. This kettlebell DVD seems to be working ok so far.

Dunno really, i wasn't keen on here and there seemed to be a lot of knee work and i found that really painful. Plus it seemed to just go on and on! Lol. I got it cos i couldn't afford the kettleworx one either! One day maybe! I've stolen some of her moves and mixed them in with some i've seen on Jillian's Shred it with Weights and on some other websites. I'm aiming to do at least 20mins per day.

Congrats on completing the 30 Day Shred! I've never managed more than 5 days!

Have you measured yourself to see if your losing inches whilst using the bells?

Hello all my cousin has this dvd.. im getting it tomorrow is it the case of doing it 20mins a day 3 days a week? please?

Tar

Back