Ankle weights

Discussion in 'Fitness Health and Exercise' started by Bethany246, 9 June 2007 Social URL.

1. Bethany246

Bethany246 Banned

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    Hi
    Is ankle weights good for doing leg exercises and are they better with weighs on ankles instead of doing without ive seen some in argos just wondered if it is worth getting some to

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. dizzy-n-mizzy

dizzy-n-mizzy Not dieting ATM!

Diet:
    Together we lost 8 stone on CD.
    Hopefully Kate will spot this and answer. I think you would only find ankle weights useful if you are already fit and doing the exercise without the weights is no longer challenging. Personally I wouldn't buy them. But lets see what others think!

Dizzy x

4. Gen

Gen Normal

Hey chick...

Me thinks any exercise you may do will be good... get started on one thing and you should see results in a few weeks!!!

Hope you are having a good day

Luv

5. dizzy-n-mizzy

dizzy-n-mizzy Not dieting ATM!

Diet:
    Together we lost 8 stone on CD.
    Hi Bethany

If you are just starting to exercise I would definitely forget the weights. If you have weight to lose still you will have natural weight on your legs to make the exercise tougher. If you are just starting up I would definitely recommend walking. Do it everyday and gradually build up and you will quickly notice a difference.

If you are itching to buy some equipment I would recommend a pedometer. An omron HJ -113 is great. Then PM your steps each day to me and I will put them on the steppers league. There are a bunch of us who do this each day and try to encourage ourselves an each other to walk more.

Dizzy x

6. Kate

Kate CDC/PT/PITA

Hi Bethany

Dizzy is right - for most lower body exercises your body weight would be enough if you do them correctly. You should only really add ankle weights for specific exercises e.g. side leg raises if you know what you are doing. It's definitely a bad idea to wear them for walking etc. as they alter the natural distribution of weight on the leg and could lead to injury if you're not careful.

Don't get me wrong, they can be very useful, but I see them used incorrectly far more often than I see them used correctly.

7. Bethany246

Bethany246 Banned

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    Hi Kate
    I was thinking of using them for doing side leg raisis and doing scissors and different leg exercises

8. Kate

Kate CDC/PT/PITA

Well, I'd start off doing those things without adding ankle weights, to be honest. You won't burn any extra calories or anything like that by adding the extra weight - what you will do is gain strength. It's far more important to do strength exercises with good technique before you start adding extra weight otherwise you will only increase your risk of injury.

9. Bethany246

Bethany246 Banned

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    Thanks as im not used to doing any exercise but going to start gentle

10. foodfairy

foodfairy Silver Member

Start Weight:
    12st2lb
    Current Weight:
    12st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st1lb(0.59%)
    Diet:
    none in particular
    i bought some ankle weights ages ago and think i used them twice :eek: i use one of them now as a door stop lol!!!!!!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.