Another new member

Lozzo

Hello there!

Just wanted to say hello. I have been dieting for 2 months now, since i was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. Going well so far but i hope i can get some continuing inspiration from existing members.

I am currently living in Hong Kong but i am a British expat ( and maybe coming back to the UK in a year or so ).

Having read quite a few member stories before deciding to register, I am in awe of how well many people have done and i wish everyone success with their own weight loss journey!

Thanks..:D

Lozzo

Last edited:
Hi Lozzo! Welcome to the forum. Yes, a lot of inspiring stories are here. How are you coping with the diagnosis? I hope you're doing okay. Is there an existing diet program that you follow?

Hi desperate2Bslim. Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, as i am slowly learning about, diabetics do need to watch their diet more stringently i guess. Its not only about losing weight but avoiding sugars which may spike their blood sugar level, or eating enough to keep the blood sugar level high enough to be normal.

This basically means watching your carbs. Simple cards ( sugar, glucose, dextrose, sucrose and the rest, white breads/rice/pastas, some fruits ) are all simple carbs i believe and should be avoided. Eating complex carbs which have little or no impact on the blood sugar are much better. Of course, a healthy diet which can reduce weight ( and also blood pressure ) are also required. Many people also monitor the GI ( glycemic index ) of foods they eat, again to avoid the spikes in blood sugars. All of this has the additional effect of, hopefully, helping with weight loss. Its a tricky path to navigate but i think most diabetics cope with it and get more control over the disease and their general health into the bargain.

I will be hanging out in the diabetic section i guess, but will definitely be following the general weight loss forums as well.

Best wishes!

Lozzo

hi there!
my husband has type 2 diabetes and we have both lost 2 stone over the last couple of months just by eating healthily and going to the gym at least twice each week.
of course i cook all his meals, so i keep him within our calorie allowance!!! ha ha ... but he has done really well and i am sure you will too! keep us all updated! xxx

Hi WickedWitch,

Thanks for saying hello. Yes, i've also lost about 2 stone in 2 months and although i was very heavy at the start, i can feel the difference it has made and this is helping to give me the motivation to continue.

Sometimes its a difficult balance i find. With the diabetes, you MUST eat the regular meals right? So as not to affect your blood sugar too much. But at the same time, you have to eat while trying to lose weight. I guess it does work, since we have lost 2 stone and i know my FBG is usually around 4.8 - 5.5, which i understand is pretty good.

Anyway, good luck to us all eh?

BR, Lozzo ;)

Thank you Ken!
Much appreciated.

I read your first post with great interest and i wish you the best of luck ( not that you'll need it ;-) with your efforts.

Isn't it nice to find everyone here offers such good support to newbies?

Best of British..lol

BR

Lozzo :greenapple:

Ye I'm surprised by how many new starters there have been since I joined the forum only yesterday. the replies have been great it seams there is a real togetherness here that could prove invaluable !!!! I'm definately determined to get this weight off and o will keep you posted on progress as I hope you will me !!! Unfortunately I'm a bit of a technophobe so still have not worked out how to track / stay in touch with individual members . Will be trying to set up a diary if I can today !! Thanksagain and good luck to u !!!!!

Hello Irene!

Thanks for the hello and for your kind words.
The pounds are coming off slow but steady so far. I just have to continue what i'm doing for the long run. Considering i don't have access to any support group or slimming clubs, i'm doing it all off my own back. My wife and little boy offer me encouragement and keep me away from naughty foods, ha ha. Anyway, they are the main reason why i'm getting off my bum and trying to lose weight. I know i have to do it for my own health reasons, but afterall, my wife wants to keep her husband around for a few more years and my son needs his dad. What better motivation do i need?

Good luck with your own journey. I will check out your diary as soon as possible.

BR, Lozzo :bighug:

Back