Another newbee who really needs this to work :-(

Young3

Hi All,

Im just finishing Day Two of LL and still feeling ok. I think the thoughts of being slim are actually motivating me at the moment.
Ive three small children, getting married in September and am a bridsemaid for my best friend on 4th May :confused:. This is what is motivating me (a little late but in four weeks, im hoping for a small difference!!).
Had my friend's hen party last weekend and after seeing the pictures that were posted, i was in tears. I have lost a stone since Xmas and thought i was doing well but next to my friend (size 10) and the other bridesmaid (also a size ten), i realised that i will be mortified walking up the aisle....
To add insult to it, we have a dress fitting this weekend and, although i had tried on the size 14 (very generous sizing) back in January and it was a small bit tight, i assured her i would be fine in it....
She ordered me the 16 instead :(.
Now, im determined to be comfortable and happier for her wedding in May.
After that, i will concentrate on losing the remaining weight for my own wedding.

Im 5ft 10 and weigh 15st at starting weight (on Tuesday)
I have 3st stone to lose to be pre-baby weight (2003!).
Hoping that i will find the motivation from this site and from you lovely ladies!!!

Speak to you soon

Siobhan xx

Welcome Siobhan
You can lose at least a stone and a dress size by the wedding. Perhaps also try and do some spot exercises from where you most need to get it off to help a bit during the next couple of weeks. I know it will be difficult to find the time with three small children but perhaps you can manage it.
Whatever happens you don't have to be a size 10 to look beautiful and your friend wants you as her bridesmaid because you're you not because of your dress size.
try to love yourself whatever size you are whilst doing what you can to become healthier.
It's a shame that you've got the fitting this week but assure you're friend you're working on losing weight and perhaps they will let you have another fitting later when you will be a size smaller.
Then as you say work towards your wedding.
Of course you can do it. :)
good luck

You can do it, Siobhan! I'm on week 12 of Lighterlife and I've lost 3 stone 3lbs so far. I've had to adapt the diet to suit my current needs (I'm a student and I can't keep up with the £70 a week so I've gone onto a light version of LL) but I've learned so much from going to the meetings and despite going onto two-three foodpacks a day and salad with quorn (my tip for anyone coming off LL total) it's still working for me! It's worth it and the results you'll see in week one are going to reassure you. Don't feel downhearted about your friend's wedding. She'll only have ordered a size 16 because she wanted you to be comfortable and enjoy yourself and no one is ever totally sure what size someone else is so people tend to over estimate. I lost 9lbs in the first week on Ligherlife and 1-4 lbs every week since then (I've only ever lost 1lb twice, the rest of the time I've lost 3-4lbs). Enjoy the wedding and all the best for yours! rosieposie is right, another fitting for your dress closer to your friend's wedding sounds like a good idea because you will have lost several pounds by that point. Just enjoy the journey as you start to feel healthier and see the results on the scales.

Have a wonderful time!

For the maximum results you should stick to LLT 100% (I really mean this. No diet drinks, no little tastes of this or that...) and drink loads of water. 3-4 litres at least. I also suggest not having the bars. They contain 20grams more carbs each and for some people it can really slow down weight loss. I started with a similar BMI to you and lost 3 stone in 4 months. I think you could lose 1 stone before the wedding.

But...you need to think really carefully about what your long term goal is.(your own wedding) Will you be indulging in the wedding food and alcohol plus the bridesmaids nights out, wedding breakfasts etc. Seriously - this sort of thing can set you back like you wouldn't believe and getting back on track afterwards will be so hard. In my time at LL I have time and again people who have said they will be taking the weekend off becuase of some big event and they just never return or they really struggle to get back on track afterwards.

If your wedding is more important to you (and your overall health) you need to consider doing total at your friends wedding. it will be hard but such a god test of your resolve. I went thorugh last christmas completely 100% and it was OK. Next christmas will be amazing because i will be wearing a size 10 and it makes last christmas worth it!

This will work thats all I have to say!

Hello and welcome! I second everything Nzmegs had to say. I did total in 2010 and was the only one of my group who stayed abstinent over Christmas and was the only one who reached goal. This is about your mind more than packs or food. About 75% I'd say. Get the right mindset and you will be successful!

The first week, until you are in ketosis, can be a very testing time - though you should have a loss of several pounds at the end of it to spur you on. Come and post if you have any difficulties though - there are plenty of us who can help you through.

Do think carefully about timing though and what your goals are. It's possible to lose some weight by your friend's wedding, but if you commit to this you'll be on packs while everyone else parties. It's perfectly doable, but it does take focus and presence of mind.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome ladies!
NZmegs - I honestly hadnt thought about how i would get through the day of the wedding on LL until you said it! Im not a big drinker anyway so tthat part is easy.
The food part - thats going to be really hard because i am one of the bridesmaids and will be sitting at the top table. Im panicking about that now but im sure i will be able to pretend and pick and my plate without people noticing?? I'll ask for advise on that one nearer the date or i'll stress out about it now:confused:.

Had the dress fitting today. To make it worse, it was one big open fitting room in the alterations shop so had the size ten bride to be and the size ten bridesmaid in the room as i tried to get changed. Good thing though - the size 16 was too big (as i told her it would be) and they are taking it in around the bust and waist.... I didnt tell her that i was on this diet. Didnt want the judgement....
Have to go back next Saturday to try on the dress once the alterations have been completed. Im secretly hoping that i will have lost a little more and more alterations will have to be done hehe! :D I'll be 12days in to the diet so fingers crossed!

Siobhan, how horrible with communal changing room for you. You've got through that so well done.
Perhaps next week you'll be on your own with alteration lady and you can quietly explain to her how you are losing weight and would she like to delay the alteration. Don't know if possible but perhaps. Otherwise she'll just have to do it again later.
Don't stress over wedding meal, I'm sure a solution will come up for you when you think about it nearer the time
Have you had a WI yet, I'm sorry but cant remember.
Keep being strong and think of being that stone lighter

Haven't had a weigh in yet. Weigh day is Tuesday after work :)
i would like 7lb. I'd be happy with that.....

Just 2 days to go then to that first WI
Just keep hanging in there and try to think that any loss is really good. So much better than gaining and a huge step forward to that slimmer, healthier you

You haven't got huge amount to lose so can't get the amazing huge amounts that some do but 7 is possible and I hope you see it

I dealt with christmas and other celebrations by being really open about it. I explained the situation and everyone was really supportive. especially with your wedding coming up they will understand how important it will be to you. You can ask not to have a meal brought to you (why waste good food?) or to have a salad instead. Take your water flavouring with you and aks for sparkling water in your wine glass. Noone will notice - they will all be focused on the bride...(that will be you soon!)

8lbs in week one :) Delighted with that.
Things are a little harder this week. Im so tired and have a busy week at work but im still sticking with it!

ask the staff can you have a bowl and pot of hot water and make yourself a soup at the table that is what I have done when out for a large family meal, well done on the loss xx

Young3 said:
Hi All,

Im just finishing Day Two of LL and still feeling ok. I think the thoughts of being slim are actually motivating me at the moment.
Ive three small children, getting married in September and am a bridsemaid for my best friend on 4th May :confused:. This is what is motivating me (a little late but in four weeks, im hoping for a small difference!!).
Had my friend's hen party last weekend and after seeing the pictures that were posted, i was in tears. I have lost a stone since Xmas and thought i was doing well but next to my friend (size 10) and the other bridesmaid (also a size ten), i realised that i will be mortified walking up the aisle....
To add insult to it, we have a dress fitting this weekend and, although i had tried on the size 14 (very generous sizing) back in January and it was a small bit tight, i assured her i would be fine in it....
She ordered me the 16 instead :(.
Now, im determined to be comfortable and happier for her wedding in May.
After that, i will concentrate on losing the remaining weight for my own wedding.

Im 5ft 10 and weigh 15st at starting weight (on Tuesday)
I have 3st stone to lose to be pre-baby weight (2003!).
Hoping that i will find the motivation from this site and from you lovely ladies!!!

Speak to you soon

Siobhan xx

Hi Siobhan! We have exactly the same stats and goals except my wedding is 19th May!! I'm on another VLCD, not ll but when I read your post I empathised so much and wanted to get in touch!! You can absolutely do this, if you stick to it, it is possible to lose a more than a stone before the wedding. I really feel for you as it it isn't just walking down the aisle, it's the fact you will be in professional photos which will be in your friends house for years to come. Whenever you struggle just think about what you want to see in that picture frame in her house!! What do you love more- food or your body?? That is a lesson I'm currently trying to teach myself. I'm currently on day 4- and surviving! Think I'd convinced myself I would due without all the food! Mistake number 1!! Come on Hun you can do it!! In right here with you- just on a parallel diet! Keep in touch xx

Back