Antacids - Are we allowed them?

I've had heartburn for the past few days, which I'm putting down to stopping some medication. I just went to take a Fruit Rennie that I've got in my desk but spat it out almost immediately because I'm not sure if we're allowed them. The label says it contains calcium carbonate, sucrose, potato starch, pregalatinised maize starch, magnesium stearate, talc, citric acid, saccharin, and colourings and flavourings. I've highlighted the things that I'm most wary of. I definitely don't want to come out of ketosis!

If I can't take it, would I be better with something like gaviscon?

I have my WI tonight so I'll ask the counsellor what her advice is too, but I would if I can get something at lunchtime, that would be better.

I would say that the starch content won't be ideal either. try to think of what might be causing your heartburn. Caffiene can be a big cause - especially if you are now drinking tea or coffee black. Also lots of water can dilute your stomach acids making heart burn more likely. Tyr cutting out tea and coffee and see how you get on. I found that my acid reflux went away entirely when i stopped drinking tea and now i am drinking it again it has returned...

I don't take in any caffiene at all anymore. I used to be a Pepsi Max addict but now I just drink water. I was taking omeprazole long term though to counteract side effects from another drug but recently stopped them both, so I think it's just my stomach getting used to being normal again.

I have 3 mint tea so I'll give it a go and see if it helps.

My counsellor wasn't there last night, she had someone standing in for her, so I couldn't ask her about it. I might email her and see if she has any suggestions.

Back