Just made this up as I went along and it came out really good. Even past the non-SW-person taste test.
• 5 scan bran
• 20 g self raising flour
• 1/2 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon
• about 1/2 a cup powdered sweetener
• 2 eggs
• 20 g raisins
• juice and rind of 1 satsuma
• few drops almond essence
• pinch of salt
• about 1 cup of shredded carrot.
1. Soak the scan bran in some boiling water, just enough to wet it but not make it sloppy.
2. Mix in the eggs.
3. Mix in the sweetener
4. Mix in the salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, almond essence, baking powder, satsuma juice and rind.
5. Mix in the raisins.
6. Mix in the carrot.
7. Clean off the sides of the bowl with a spatula and mix again, reapeat until the sides of the bowl are clean and everything is mixed in.
8. Microwave on high (1000w) for about 5 minutes. It might need another minute or two depending on your microwave.
9. Turn out onto a cooling rack.
Serve warm. You can make a topping with kwark, lemon juice and sweetener to go on top if you like.
I worked it out as:
3 syns for flour
3 syns for raisins
5 syns for scan bran
I refuse to count the syns in the baking powder. ;-)
So 11 syns for the whole cake. OR just 6 if you count the scan bran as your HEXB. Bargain.
Serendipity and Very low syn cola bottle jelly sweets
Just last Tuesday, I was told about the new flavours of No Added Sugar cordials from Tesco (Sherbet Lemon, Pear Drop and Cola Bottle flavours)....
Then Serendipity appeared in the guise of a thread for Jelly Sweets the SW way.....
And so tonight, Cola Bottle Flavour Jelly Sweets were born!!!.....
I know that N.A.S cordials are 'free' but as I was using them 'not as directed' I checked out the kcals to work out the syns... 6 kcal per 100ml..
I used about 150ml (so about 9/10 kcals worth = 1/2 syn)
This made 26 jelly sweets, ice-cube size all for 1/2 syn!!!
In a jug add 1/4 pint of boiling water.
Add 2 gelatine sachets and stir until dissolved.
Top up to the 1/2 pint mark with Tesco N.A.S. Cola Bottle flavour cordial.
Pour into moulds/tray.
Chill for about 1 hour.
Scan Bran Cake
11.5 syns for the whole cake or 6 syns and 1 HE B
5 Scan Bran
3 beaten eggs
1 level tbsp golden syrup
2 sachets of options hot choc ( I used 1 belgian choc and 1 hazelnut )
½ mug sweetener
1. Soak the Scan Bran in boiling water to soften. Then drain and mash.
2. Mix all the ingredients together and pour into a microwavable bowl.
3. Microwave on high for 7 minutes. When cooked the cake will be springy to the touch and will have pulled away from the side.
( I also turned it out onto a plate after the 7 minutes and gave it another 1 min to make sure the bottom is cooked )
Tip: Chef's tip: For a free topping, pile with (defrosted) frozen forest fruits or top with chocolate spread (4½ Syns per tbsp).
Eggs, scan bran and sweetener, and method, exactly as original recipe. Bloody marvelous. Best scan bran cake I've ever made (and I've made a few). Will def do this again as soon as I've been to Holland & Barrett to stock up on scan bran. Will be good to have something to use 'too black' bananas on as well. Just got to work out syns now.
1 mashed banana = 4 syns
1 tbsp honey = 3 syns
1 tbsp cocoa = 1 syn
Eggs and sweetener free
Scan bran (HexB) or 5 syns
So - whole cake if NOT using as HExB would be 13 (although my banana was a little diddy kids size one so wish I'd weighed it and done the synning by the gram now instead).
Whole cake if using as HExB would be 8 syns.
For the topping:
1 pot quark skimmed milk soft cheese
Sweetener to taste
1. Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4/180°C.
2. Mix all the ingredients together.
3. Transfer the mix into a baking tin lined with non-stick baking parchment and bake for 1 hour.
4. When cooked turn onto a wire rack to cool.
5. For the topping mix the quark with lemon juice and sweetener to taste and spread onto the cake once cooled.
Tip: It's just 13½ Syns for the whole cake and can be divided into as many slices as you like.
Ginger Cake -
5 Scan Bran
2 large carrots, finely grated
3 or 4 tbsp artificial sweetener (or to taste)
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp of ground all-spice (or to taste)
1 tsp cinnamon
28g finely chopped stem ginger
3 eggs, beaten
1. Pour boiling water over the Scan Bran and leave for 1 minute so that it softens, then drain and mash.
2. Blend the Scan Bran, carrot, sweetener, ground ginger, all-spice, cinnamon and stem ginger, mixing very thoroughly. Then add the beaten eggs and stir until completely mixed. Transfer the mixture into a microwaveable dish – about 6½in/16cm in diameter.
3. Microwave on high for about 15 minutes, or until cooked. The end product should be reasonably moist.
Tip: It's just 9 Syns for the whole cake and can be divided into as many slices as you like.
In a cup, pour 2 or 3 tablespoons of boiling water over 1 sachet gelatine. Stir thoroughly until dissolved and set aside.
1. Separate 4 eggs, reserving the whites in a large bowl. Place the yolks in a microwaveable bowl, add the grated rind and juice of one lemon, 4 tablespoons water and a pinch of salt. Microwave on medium for 40 seconds, then stir in the gelatine.
2. Leave to cool, then stir in 4 level tablespoons of artificial sweetener.
3. Whisk the egg whites until they form peaks. Whisk in the fromage frais, then fold in the lemon mixture using a metal spoon.
4. Pour into 4 sundae glasses, then chill in the fridge until set.
Syn free Lemon Meringue Pies
1 lemon, grate rind and juice
3 medium eggs, separated
4 tablespoons powdered artificial sweetener
Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.
Beat the Quark in a bowl to make it smooth and creamy. Add lemon rind and juice, egg yolks and 2 tbsp of powdered sweetener. Share between 4 small heatproof dishes or ramekins. Stand on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, whip egg whites in a grease-free bowl until they hold their shape. Whisk in remaining powdered sweetener.
Remove desserts from oven and put meringue mixture on top. Return to oven to bake for 5 more minutes, until golden brown.
VERY SIMPLE and easy Cheescake
Quark with 2 white choc options mixed into it - 2 alpen light bars slightly warmed and mashed into a small dish and spread the quark mixture over the top - to me this is JUST LIKE a new york style cheesecake and is ONLY 10 syns for the whole cheesecake or just 4 syns if you use the alpen lights as a heb.
Half of course is 2 syns or 5 syns.
Choc Amaretto Mousse
found it on the SW web site.....
This chocolatey pud is perfect for rounding off a Food Optimising meal
and it's just 4½ Syns on both choices!
Syns per serving: 4½ Syns on Green and Original
57g/2oz plain chocolate
2 tablespoons Amaretto liqueur
170g/6oz quark skimmed milk soft cheese
3 eggs, separated
1 tablespoon splenda
fresh mint leaves and raspberries to decorate
1. Place the chocolate and Amaretto liqueur in a small mixing bowl with 1 tablespoon of water, place over a pan of simmering water until the chocolate has melted. Leave to cool for about 5 minutes.
2. In a separate bowl, beat together the quark, egg yolks and Canderel until smooth, then fold into the cooled chocolate and Amaretto mixture.
3. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then carefully fold into the chocolate mixture. Pour into 4 individual serving bowls and chill for 2 hours or until set.
4. Serve decorated with fresh mint leaves and a few raspberries.
Please note: The government advises that because of a very slight risk of salmonella, vulnerable people such as the elderly, babies and pregnant woman should not eat raw eggs.
Well worth the purchase of Ameretto.
Scan Bran Caramel cake
I made this and its lush. And only 9 syns for the whole cake, eat on its own or heat it up in microwave for 20 secs and top with mueller toffee yoghurt, yummy.
5 scan bran soaked in boiling water drained and mashed.
4 tbsp sweetner
2 sachets options dreamy caramel.
mix all the ingredients together puy in a cake tin and bake in the oven for 15-20 mins.
i have microwaved this aswell for 6 mins but i prefer to oven bake as it comes out drier, in the microwave i think it come out a little wet.
1/2 Syn Fruit Roulade!!
I found this on the puddings section on Friday, made it & it was GORGEOUS so I thought I would bump it to here - I can't find the original thread. I actually added a choc options sachet to the mixture to make a chocolate roulade but it was still only 2.5 for the whole cake (which is massive by the way)
FRUIT ROULADE - 0.5 SYN FOR THE WHOLE CAKE
a lady from my group made this roulade and fetched it in it was gorgeous.
1 TUB QUARK
1 TSP BAKING POWDER
4 TBSP SWEETNER (I ADDED LOT MORE LOL)
VANILLA ESSENCE (OR ANY)
SEPERATE THE EGGS
ADD THE YOLK, HALF THE QUARK,
BAKING POWDER, SWEETNER AND ESSENCE INTO A BOWL, WHISK TOGETHER AND SET ASIDE.
WHISK EGG WHITE TILL STIFF. WHISK HALF INTO THE MIXTURE THEN FOLD IN OTHER HALF.
USING A SWISS ROLL TIN SPRAY WITH FRY LIGHT ( I PUT GREASPROOF PAPER IN FIRST THE SPRAY SO DOESNT STICK) POUR THE MIXTURE IN AND BAKE AT
180 FOR 15 - 20 MINUTES. LEAVE TO COOL
IN A DISH ADD REMAINING QUARK ,SWEETNER, AND ESSENCE AND MIX TOGETHER.
REMOVE THE CAKE FROM TIN WHEN COOL SPREAD THE QUARK EVENLY, ADD FINELY CHOPPED FRUIT (STRAWBERRY AND BANANA MY FAVE). ROLL THE CAKE FROM ONE END. SLICE TO SERVE.
THE WHOLE CAKE IS ONLY HALF A SYN AND THATS THE BAKING POWDER