Any Slimming World Vegans Out There?

RoseWillow

Recently joined Slimming World and doing well, but I am vegetarian and am thinking about going vegan again (I was earlier this year, but due to depression & literally not eating anything I went back to eating cheese!) ... so I am just wondering if there are any of you out there and if so, what are your food diaries like? Having been out of the 'vegan loop' for a good 8 months now I seem to have forgotten all of the little gems that I picked up along the way and how I would incorporate all of that with the EE programme on SW?

I'm Claire by the way, nice to meet you all ! :)

Hi Claire, I'm vegan too and think it works very well with SW! I tend to do green days though as it makes my life much easier, and means you can have things like nuts and seeds for your healthy extras which I find just help to make things more interesting. A good book if you haven't got it is Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. I tend to eat lots of pasta and stir fries, curries and chickpeas by the ton. I love chickpeas. If I have cereal for breakfast I have Weetabix and Weetabix Crunchy Bran as they are vegan but I think some of the mueslis are too. Oatly or Alpro chocolate milks are lush and A choices too!

Happy to help you as much as I can. Feel free to drop me a PM x

I assume Tofu is vegan? Thats a great food source, and I see in this months mag there is a chocolate mousse receipe using silken tofu. I used to be a vegetarian for 28 years, tried veganism but only lasted 3 months, cheese got to me, I now eat meat but still absolutely adore tofu and eat it loads still. Unfortunately Tofu is all about I have to offer you today LOL But I do remember making lots of recipes using it. You could make things like lentil bolognese, mixed bean chilli, curries, stews, soups, lentil and cheese loaf using vegan cheese. The milk alternatives are amazing now, almond milk is really nice too.

I am not a vegan but interested in mixing a vegetarion/ vegan/ raw food diet so any tips or recipes woukd be great. I have never used tofu before but want to start using it. Im also using a lot of different beans etc and chickpeas.

Hi! I'm vegan, and it's lovely to see you on the boards. Seems like there are growing numbers of us, which is great.

I only do green days, though am sure red days would be possible with some good planning. I've not been very adventurous this time around, and tend to stick to a lot of the same stuff for healthy extras (bread, scan-brans, soya milk and kara coconut milk).

I second the post about Appetite for Reduction. There are some amazing recipes in there, and very easy to make them SW friendly. I love the veg korma (just syn the coconut milk) and the laksa.

My only issue at the moment is snacks - it's hard to carry enough food around when I'm going straight from college to the gym, so I end up snacking mainly on fruit, and am worried I'm actually potentially eating too much, as I don't always find it that filling. Trek bars are good before a workout, but the lowest syn ones are 10 syns per bar (mixed berry flavour). Worth it though.

Any input on SW friendly vegan snacks that aren't fruit would be most welcome!

Good luck and hope you're enjoying SW so far.

I am by no means vegan, however, I like to limit the amount of meat that I consume and do not eat eggs/milk/yoghurt. I too would be interested in vegan snacks... I tend to have a box of fruit, crudités with dips.... (cannellini beans make great dips) ... I have lost count of the amount of butternut squash I roast with chilli to snack on. A green smoothie/juice works well post gym too x x

I am by no means vegan, however, I like to limit the amount of meat that I consume and do not eat eggs/milk/yoghurt. I too would be interested in vegan snacks... I tend to have a box of fruit, crudités with dips.... (cannellini beans make great dips) ... I have lost count of the amount of butternut squash I roast with chilli to snack on. A green smoothie/juice works well post gym too x x

Ooo can i have a cannellini dip recipe please? Some came in my shopping today!

Roasted chickpeas are nice! Roasted in the oven with spices

I second the roasted chickpeas! Also - the falafel recipe in the Green SW book is easy to veganise with egg replacer. These make great snacks, especially with a syn free dip, like hummus. I do struggle with snack ideas myself sometimes. At the moment I am eating lots of fresh peas straight from the pods!

I just started 3 days ago and I'm really struggling. I'm a vegetarian also and I'm just wondering if I'd be best off on the green plan. I absolutely hate quorn and really miss adding seed, nuts and cheese to my meals.

I'm not vegan, not even vegetarian. I eat meat once maybe twice a week. However I have recently cut out all cows milk/cheese. My skin is amazing, the rash on my arms has gone :)

Anyway since there are a lot of vegans on this post, will someone recommend me a milk that isn't soya. I don't like soya milk. I like almond milk but it can get quite pricey.

Any suggestions? I've heard good things about coconut milk.

I really like Chocolate Oatly. I'm not sure what the plain milk is like but I would give it a go. Always needs a good shake before because it separates easily!

I'm not vegan, not even vegetarian. I eat meat once maybe twice a week. However I have recently cut out all cows milk/cheese. My skin is amazing, the rash on my arms has gone :)

Anyway since there are a lot of vegans on this post, will someone recommend me a milk that isn't soya. I don't like soya milk. I like almond milk but it can get quite pricey.

Thats inreresting about not having cows milk etc and your skin has improved! Do you eat any cheese?

I hav made falafels twice using diff recipes and they were horrid both times..not like the cauldron brand i usually buy but i think they are 3 syns per falafel im not sure.

I made a lentil bake last week which was nice.

Hi, there are so many milks about at the moment. I find different milks work for different drinks. Kara coconut milk is really similar to cow's milk in coffee and is 450ml for a HeA! Almond as you mentioned is good, as is Hazelnut, but they can be quite sugary. There is a quinoa milk, but I haven't tried it.

With soya milk, there are so many different varieties, it may be worth perservering. I used to hate it, but now I don't even notice the 'soya' taste. I'm still not keen on unsweetened, but there are so many brands and levels of sweetness. I like Alpro organic. I used to like Delamere sweetened, but as I've got more used to soya, I'm not so keen on that. There are still quite a few brands I still can't drink though!

Rice and oat are both ok, but Kara coconut comes out on top, price-wise, taste-wise etc. But I do hope I can convince you to try some more brands of soya, because at first it is a weird taste, but you can seem to acquire it, and it's definitely the best in tea!

I just started 3 days ago and I'm really struggling. I'm a vegetarian also and I'm just wondering if I'd be best off on the green plan. I absolutely hate quorn and really miss adding seed, nuts and cheese to my meals.

Honestly, I don't really see the point of EE unless you eat meat. I would just do green days, and get the extra healthy extras.

Thats inreresting about not having cows milk etc and your skin has improved! Do you eat any cheese?

I've cut out dairy completely, including cheese. I always had a rash on my arms. And mild adult acne. About a month after no dairy I suddenly noticed my arms didn't have any rash/blotchyness. My face was pretty much completely clear.

So I just assume I have some sort of allergy.

Thanks for the milk advice FatGurlSlim. I might just have to start buying more. When I used soya milk in my hot drinks it sometimes splits.

When I used soya milk in my hot drinks it sometimes splits.

This always used to happen when I tried to put soya in coffee. All the other non dairy milks are fine in coffee. Haven't ever had soya split in tea. No idea why it does it??!?

Hello, joining in if that's ok? I've been vegan for about 6 months, veggie before that. I only do green days as I like the option of using nuts/ seeds and not having to syn them. I tend to use soaked, blended cashews with a bit of nutritional yeast instead of cheese in recipes as I'm not a fan of the shop bought vegan cheese and I never use it all and it goes to waste.
As for milk I second the post saying koko coconut milk is the best, really can't soy milk at all, never found one I like and tried a lot. If I can't get that I use rice milk as I don't like the nut milk either.
For snacks, I usally have fruit, raw veg or pickles. I do however do some baking and freeze so if I fancy something chocolaty/sweet I just grab a piece of brownie or banana cake out of the freezer. I also make ice cream using banana and cocoa powder which works out 2.5 syns per scoop :) And my failing is crisps :(
I'm a massive fan of chickpeas, always have loads of tins and dried and usually make hummus or chunky cashew spread for my sandwich for work.
I have to say I love being vegan and love trying new stuff, I buy something that looks nice, go home and google recipes for that ingredient so I tend not to eat the same thing that often. And my losses have been better since turning vegan :)

Back