Any SW wine lushes out there.....

Applekath

Gold Member
...Struggling like me?

I can deal with the food plan no probs but when it comes to limiting my wine and gin intake I really really struggle.:rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, I don't need AA lol but when I open a nice bottle of wine of an evening.. I want to drink as much or as little of it as I'd like!:cry:

Any tips from fellow SW lushes? :p

Hey, I too like a glass or 5 of wine :-D

I've found myself having White wine & diet lemonade spritzers a lot or if I'm out for an evening I tend to go for Bacardi & diet coke rather than wine now :-(

I have the same problem so I limit myself to once a week :( On a Saturday I let myself have as much as I want but try to make it out of bounds the rest of the week. Occasionally I let myself have a bit on a Wednesday night too as that's WI day, but no more than those 2.

I also try not to keep it in the house too much. Generally Im OK as long as its not open, once its open it has to be emptied :eek: Unfortunately after one bottle Im quite happy to open the next so its best if there is just no more in the bladdy house :rolleyes:

Unfortunately its so expensive these days that when I see an offer on Ill often buy 6 or something :wave_cry:

Okay, bit of reality check here. alcohol is empty calories so its really a case of how much do you want to loose the weight compared to how much you want to have a drink. Its no different to someone who loves chocolate & can't live without it, or can't cope without 2 bags of crisps a day. You don't HAVE to live without these things- you just need to decide if you are going to do moderation, or sacrifice something else for it.

I'm like Ermintrude. I will happily drink a bottle of wine, but only once a week, and I always cut my syns the next day to compensate. But then I can happily got for months without drinking at all. Have you tried the low alcohol wine? That might be an option.

A tip for you on the gin front. Buy smaller bottles. the 35cl ones are 35 syns in total. So you could conceivably buy 1 a week, and just use 35 syns a week/5 syns a day on it, leaving yourself 35 syns a week/5 syns a day for other 'treats' or to use in cooking.

Ive also started interspersing a glass of wine with one of soda. I like sparkling wine so I have a diet soda going on at the same time, after the first glass or so I cant chell zhe differensh *hic* ;)

Thanks ladies, I know it's not rocket science and understand about the empty cals. I suppose it's more of a post to know I'm not alone as it were. I totally understand about empty cals and yes I'm limiting myself to a bottle one night once a week if I can as like you Ermintrude, once it's open.. it's generally gone.

I just need to be stronger with myself. I've always drunk gallons of soda water either in the wine or on the side so that's nothing new to me. Shorts is fine but expensive when out. It doesn't help that I have a very sociable group of boyfriends and girlfriends and it's not unusual for us to go out in the week or of an afternoon if folk aren't working and I do flexi hours.

The one thing I have proved to myself now though is that I can control my eating if I'm a bit pickled, where as before it would be rounds of cheese on toast or a take away etc.

Now I just need to learn to curb my booze syns as I'm just treading water with my weight loss at the mo and that's not the idea!

I've got nothing going on now for a week and I'm working the weekend so no temptation. Had a bit too much last night out bowling so just need to try and undo that!

I just wish I wasn't fussed about a crisp cold glass of pinot, a lovely warming red by the fire or a tall bombay with lashings of ice and a lime wedge :)

I feel exactly the same in that I relax with a drink most nights, wine or whisky or a combination of the 2

I've decided that cutting down to 1 night a week is a lifestyle change I'm not prepared to make at the moment BUT I've greatly changed my type of food intake due to SW and I tend to save my A's and B's for cheese and crackers to have at night with the wine where it used to be anything goes lol

I'm now losing 1lb per week on average when I know I could do a lot better but I'm looking at this as a lifelong change and 1lb a week is nearly 4 stones over a year! I'll take that thank you and look at curbing my drinking while I travel along this journey.

I LOVE Pinot too! I only buy two bottles, one for Friday and one for Saturday. Once it's gone it's gone! I'll also have a couple of vodkas with slimline tonic and a slice of lime! I bought a spirit measure which helps to measure the vodka too as my previous measures would have been 3 x the syns! During the week I ask my partner to make me a vodka without the vodka whilst I'm cooking dinner, i.e. tonic and slice of lime!! Strange I know but it works for me!! LOL! Good luck!

lol thank you, I'm also one if I'm having a session in the kitchen cooking, I like to have a glass of wine and something to watch on my lovely new Ipad.

TBH, it's just nice to know I'm not the only one as I've read lots on here about people stuggling with leaving the crisps, chocs, cakes etc alone but not the booze.

Cheese and wine really is my downfall. I know if I could curb them, I would have lost a lot more weight by now. So I really do have to knuckle down other wise is a waste of time and money.

I have however upped my exercise a great deal from walking to work, 3 mile round trip most day to, jogging three times a week again, getting in a few more bigger walks and just started the 30day shred DVD. So hopefully that should also see some results next week.

I lost a lot of weight with Atkins a few years ago so I think I might start doing a few red days rather than all extra easy and see if that moves things a bit quicker.

I love the wine!!

I too had to limit myself to once a week on a Saturday night and it's funny but after 6 or 7 months my priorities have changed and I'd rather spending my syns on food instead of alcohol!

If we go the pub on a Sunday I now have diet coke rather than lager or bitter as I figured I could have a crunchie bar for a similar amount of syns.

Well fair play to you BeckyT looking at your stats there. That's amazing!

Yep, I really do have to just knuckle down as it's clearly just the wine that's hindering me as my food is pretty much spot on 99% of the time :-(

This thread makes me feel so much better! Ha.

I'm a complete Pinot fiend. When I first started I worked out how much those little tiny bottles are (the ones that are meant to be a glass' worth) and two of those are 13 syns, so I would have two of those. I found it easier than measuring out, and that way there isn't a whole bottle in the house to tempt me.

However since then I've decided to save the wine only for occasions where I'm actually going out. It means I can use my syns for other things, and I appreciate it all the more when it comes to it!

It definitely helps to have something to look forward to. At first, my "thing" was going out in Brighton with uni friends. I saved some syns for it and managed to have almost two bottles of pinot on that night out and I still lost 2lb that week. Amazeballs. Same thing has happened on other nights. So I've still been able to have wine some evenings (as much as I wanted) and lose. For me it's about counting the syns, daily or weekly, and just keeping within them. If you really want to stick with having wine every night, I'd advise getting the two tiny ones like I did. Either that or save it up for the week and have more at the weekend or on a special occasion. Some people don't advise saving syns for the week but every body is different, and if it works for you why not?

Also, a bottle of First Cape Cafe Low Alcohol wine (5%) is only 12 syns... not quite the same but it's nice to be able to have a whole bottle of something.

A side note as well, the whole saving it for a special occasion thing, I've found I've actually ended up having less than I used to. I think it's a psychological thing: because I know I CAN have two bottles (eg) I don't actually need to have it all.

Oh, it's lovely to meet wome fellow winos!;)

I love a glass of ice cold australian chardonnay, and have one most evenings whilst I am cooking dinner.

Sometimes, I switch to gin and slimline tonic with loads of ice and lime wedges, or vodka, slimline ginger, ice and lime wedges.

Count me in ;)

I've had to (mostly) give up my cost glasses of midweek red on the sofa as I go out most weekends and need my syns for wine and gin then :) it's all about compromise I suppose - but it's definitely no worse than 'spending' them on chocolate! X

Awwww so glad it's not just me then lol. I was starting to feel like a complete lush feeling so deprived of my wine!

I don't drink everyday and I work every other weekend. I suppose I'm the typical binge drinker!

I'm going out with one of my fellow lush girlfriends tomorrow but instead of going to a bar for a catch up over a couple of bottles we are going for a big walk! I'm going to try and get through to next weds booze free to shift some flab!

I am totally with you all! Prior to SW I would happily sit down some nights when home from work and have a glass of wine. Then Saturday comes and a bottle (if not more) :eek: would be enjoyed.

Now if I really want a drink of wine, I save my syns and have some at the weekend. If I go on a night out I choose vodka and diet cola as if I start on the wine I would be on it much of the night!

OMG, that could have been me writing all of this! Wine, cider, gin...you name it...and once I've had a drink the blinking cheese seems to find its way out of the fridge and into my mouth! :)

Like some of you, I also have one or two nights a week when I allow myself a good drink, and yes, I know that might slow my weight loss down, but hey, I like taking that good old scenic route to most places so why not now as well?! ;)

I do make sure to go to the gym though, as I am finally starting to get to grips with the whole eating/drinking/exercising ratio! :D

Gimme blossom hill rose any day!! Whole bottle makes me a happy lady!! Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I love wine and mainly a red wine drinker. I tend to buy the miniature wines in the supermarket that are 3 for £5. Keeps my syns down and stops me having a whole bottle. I get cravings for wine on a Friday! But I do know that when I start drinking it makes me feel hungry and then I binge and tend to mess up. I try to avoid it but it is difficult as I like to chill out with some wine after a stressful week teaching the nations teenagers lol!

Back