any tips on how to survive........

ladyblade

......my first time in the gym. I have joined a gym today and go for my induction tomorrow morning. I am absolutely terrified lol. After losing over three stone and with almost another two to go, thought the time was right to start toning up. Have I done the right thing ?

Yes, you've absolutely done the right thing! Just take things slowly and don't try to do too much too soon. When I first started I could only do ten minutes on the exercise bike, then ten minutes on the elliptical, ten minutes on the rower etc. I built it up and can now do two hours in total with ease. I've also started the Couch to 5k on the treadmill and it's my first 20 minute run tomorrow. Exercise can become addictive though - so be warned!

It may be the first time for you, but it isn't the first time for them!

So relax, the gym people know what they are doing, and they have loads of experience of dealing with nervous newbies. It's their job to make sure it all goes well, and that they keep you as a customer, so they will look after you.

You are absolutely doing the right thing - have fun!!

Try not to over think it. I spent months thinking it, and thinking I'd be judged by all the superfit people there (I was 25st when I joined), and no ones ever given me a second glance, or if they have it's been an encouraging smile! Wish I'd done it sooner.

Also, small tips, wear something you're going to be 100% comfy in and not pulling it down to cover your bum or anything. This makes a big difference (to me anyway). Also don't compare yourself to anyone, someone might be going full pelt on the bike and you're going at a leisurely pace, doesn't matter, go at your own pace and speed and ignore everyone else. I find that I like to make a record on my phone of how many miles I can do on the bike in 5 minutes and then next session see if I can beat it. Only be in competition with yourself.

You've definitely made the right decision! Good luck and let us know how you get on xx

A big thank you for your replies. Well I went and to be honest was almost ready not to go. I was so scared about what people would think of me, but then I thought to myself, just get a grip and get on with it. I loved it. Didn't do a great deal, just went round with the instructor who explained everything and stayed with me, talking and encouraging me and making me feel at ease. yes, there were skinny, attractive girls there, but I honestly didn't take much notice and I don't they took much notice of me. All ready for tomorrow now. Thanks again for your support

I was the same as you when I first joined, but like you I just pushed myself to go and now I love it! As someone has already said, you do become addicted quite quickly.
Don't worry about anyone else, I find everyone is too busy concentrating on their own little workouts and don't pay any attention to others (I'm the same).

Take it slow too, my first time I didn't warm up/stretch and paid for it the next day!

Even if someone does look at you, they're probably thinking go you!! Xx

So proud that you did it, that's the first step, and you did good!

Never feel ashamed that you can't go full throttle, I swear when I started exercising I managed about 10 seconds before feeling like death, it gets easier! Also a good tip for when you're noticing those skinny, pretty girls is that maybe they didn't used to be so skinny, they're there working their butts off, just like you, and I bet most gym bunnies are thinking "Wow, a new person, good for them!", rarely is it fit people who are down on you for trying because they know how much hard work it takes.

brill! glad it went well x

Me too - keep it up, you'll soon be a gym addict!

Had a good day today. Caught up with some old friends that I haven't seen for about 8 years. Had a good time remembering things from growing up. Went to the gym again. Was red and out of breath again, but do you know what, I didn't care. I was concentrating on doing things right and having a good time. Thanks again for all your positive responses

I have been going to the Gym for about 6 weeks and am now a full blown Gym bunny.
I go four times per week for two hours (sometimes more) very early in the morning and get on with the rest of my day. It's the best thing for waking up properly and also helps you to channel any morning grumpiness for having to crawl out of a warm bed and go to work!

Back