• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Any use webcams/video calling/skype?

big bear

A bear on a mission!
S: 14st7lb
I'm probably being really dumb here but can I ask the following:

I've got a packard bell computer at home and a webcam.

I want to skype call my family in Ireland. I think the webcam has built in microphone but I've no speakers. So I'm guessing they'll be able to hear me but I won't be able to hear them, is this right?

Can I use the earphones from my mobile phone?

Thanks

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!

H*Bomb

S: 23st12.5lb C: 21st10lb G: 18st0lb BMI: 35.1 Loss: 2st2.5lb(9.12%)
Your computer hasd no speakers at all? Surely it must - even mini ones in the screen. Does it ever beep?

Do you have a smart phone? You can get skype on an iphone (and assume HTC etc) and use that - as long as you are skype to skype you are free.

But also yes - headphones will work!

MartinD

S: 16st8lb C: 13st7lb G: 12st8lb BMI: 27.1 Loss: 3st1lb(18.53%)
Hi

I just used skype for an interview. Quite good as it happens.

Skype when you download has a test thingy, dead easy to use goes through the video, mic and sound. For listening most pooters have a headphone socket BUT some mobile phone headphones are 3.5mm connector not the 2.5mm for standard headpohone sizes but you can get cheap ones if it doesnt work

Stefanie

Silver Member
S: 15st8lb C: 11st11.5lb G: 10st10lb BMI: 27.5 Loss: 3st10.5lb(24.08%)
If your computer is reasonably new it will have a build-in sound card and speaker port (back of machine, possibly green port), so yes if you plug in headphones it will work. A beeping noise doesn't mean it has speakers, that could just be the internal speaker used at OS level xx

big bear

A bear on a mission!
Thanks guys but I can't even set up the webcam now as I've no idea where the wee set up disc for it is! Guess I'll just have to get a complete new one.

There are no built in speakers as its really old!!!

Thanks for your replies XXXX

MartinD

S: 16st8lb C: 13st7lb G: 12st8lb BMI: 27.1 Loss: 3st1lb(18.53%)
Thanks guys but I can't even set up the webcam now as I've no idea where the wee set up disc for it is! Guess I'll just have to get a complete new one.

There are no built in speakers as its really old!!!

Thanks for your replies XXXX
What make is the webcam? I bet you can download the drivers to make it work online.... no need for a new one hopefully

big bear

A bear on a mission!
What make is the webcam? I bet you can download the drivers to make it work online.... no need for a new one hopefully
Thanks Martin, I've downloaded them etc & its not working I think there's either something wrong with my computer or the webcam....I'm gonna get a new one 2moro XXXX