Any use webcams/video calling/skype?

big bear

A bear on a mission!
I'm probably being really dumb here but can I ask the following:

I've got a packard bell computer at home and a webcam.

I want to skype call my family in Ireland. I think the webcam has built in microphone but I've no speakers. So I'm guessing they'll be able to hear me but I won't be able to hear them, is this right?

Can I use the earphones from my mobile phone?

Thanks

Your computer hasd no speakers at all? Surely it must - even mini ones in the screen. Does it ever beep?

Do you have a smart phone? You can get skype on an iphone (and assume HTC etc) and use that - as long as you are skype to skype you are free.

But also yes - headphones will work!

Hi

I just used skype for an interview. Quite good as it happens.

Skype when you download has a test thingy, dead easy to use goes through the video, mic and sound. For listening most pooters have a headphone socket BUT some mobile phone headphones are 3.5mm connector not the 2.5mm for standard headpohone sizes but you can get cheap ones if it doesnt work

If your computer is reasonably new it will have a build-in sound card and speaker port (back of machine, possibly green port), so yes if you plug in headphones it will work. A beeping noise doesn't mean it has speakers, that could just be the internal speaker used at OS level xx

Thanks guys but I can't even set up the webcam now as I've no idea where the wee set up disc for it is! Guess I'll just have to get a complete new one.

There are no built in speakers as its really old!!!

Thanks for your replies XXXX

Thanks guys but I can't even set up the webcam now as I've no idea where the wee set up disc for it is! Guess I'll just have to get a complete new one.

There are no built in speakers as its really old!!!

Thanks for your replies XXXX

What make is the webcam? I bet you can download the drivers to make it work online.... no need for a new one hopefully

What make is the webcam? I bet you can download the drivers to make it work online.... no need for a new one hopefully

Thanks Martin, I've downloaded them etc & its not working I think there's either something wrong with my computer or the webcam....I'm gonna get a new one 2moro XXXX

Back