Total Solution Anybody taking amitriptyline?

shell09

Silver Member
Hi all so I'm restarting tomorrow probably with a mix of TS & WS, but I'm really desperate to get this weight of asap! I'm now up to 14 stone 11lbs

I have Gained 2 stone 11 in the last 5 months! Rediculous right! N really upsetting as I originally went from 19 stone 7 to 11 stone 4 on cambridge diet n leveled off n maintained at 12 stone

I suffer from chronic migraine & have done for a few years but wasn't diagnosed until a few months ago. To cut a long story short I'm now not aloud to take pain killers as they are a trigger, and I'm on preventatives by the name of amitriptyline.

I started at 10 mg n gradually increased to 50 mg. The thing is they are working to help rid me of a daily head ache (aka chronic migraine) I have been looking into this med n side effects etc n one of the common side effects I'm coming up with is weight gain excessive weight gain and uncontrollable sugar n carb cravings! My weight gain is pretty consistent with time on this med

Amitriptyline in much higher dosage is an anti depresant but in lower doses under 100 mg is a neuro pain med

I was just wondering if any of you guys have experience of this med especially while on TFR? I don't want to seem like I'm using it as an excuse but think it may be time to go back to GP n change the med but I'm so anxious about doing that as I've only just started controlling the migraines

I need to sort my weight and my migraines once n for all anybody with some info or advice please share as I'm feeling totally desperate! Thanks in advance guys n gals. Xx

Hi, I don't know how much help I can be, but I'm also taking amitriptyline and doing TS

I take it for pain issues along with several other medications. Before I started exante I definitely noticed a very increased appetite and weight gain on it, since I've been on the diet it has been much much easier to control and despite a few late night cravings that are due to the medication I have been 100%

I think for me the most important thing is getting the balance right, I need my medication and I need to lose weight, so I think as long as your doctor is ok with you starting you should be fine:)

On a side night I have noticed I have been retaining water quite a bit which I think could be down to some of the medications, but I'm not too bothered by how high or low my losses are, I know I am burning fat every day that I'm on this and that's the most important thing to me

Wishing you the best of luck with whatever you decide:) (and I know the misery of migranes so I really feel for you:( not having them has been a great side affect for me of the amitriptylines)

Hi loved-up thanks so much for your reply! Think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet n tell all to the GP

I hate to talk to GP about my weight they haven't been supportive in the past n I can imagine them brushing my concerns re amitriptyline under the carpet n while my migraines are of primary concern to me and them at the mo I can't imagine them being supportive about me going back on a vlcd

I'm going to start exante no matter what n hope that like you I can battle the cravings. Il have to wait until I'm in the right mood to stand my ground n battle with the GP before attempting to switch meds I'm just so angry I wasn't warned about the potential weight gain I'm determined to get off them
N find a more suitable med to manage the migraines

I was on amitriptyline for depression (2010), and I gained weight but was never sure if it was because I wasnt quite so depressed and therefore ate more.
I had to get doctors consent before I started Cambridge but at the time I wasnt sleeping (36-48 hours without sleep, 2 young children NOT GOOD) so after doc signed the consent form he then changed my medication.
Just realised that this hasnt really helped answer your question, sorry xx

Last edited:
Lol it kinda does

The doc obviously thought it necessary to change your meds once you were trying to lose weight

My docs are good at looking at one prob at a time but they never seem to take into account anything on my records other than the problem at hand ie looking at the fact that I independently lost over 8 stone n before that had a history of being over weight oh no that's completely overlooked they may as well have prescribed my steroids for the weight I've gained

Excuse my negativity ladies just cone from hospital with my daughter n the doctor has p****d me off no end

Back