Anyone bought prescription glasses online?

Discussion in 'Slimming World Off Topic' started by big bear, 28 December 2010 Social URL.

1. big bear

big bear A bear on a mission!

Start Weight:
    14st7lb
    Diet:
    slimming world
    My glasses are from specsavers but my son broke them & they can't be fixed. The lenses won't fit in any of the frames they have so I now need to get a totally new pair of glasses.

The problem is my last ones were £300 they were basic frames but it cost the money to make the lenses thin (not sure what this is called) My left eye is -5.5 & my right -5.

I don't have £300 to get new ones but I saw a sight on line that I can get what I want for £84.

I just wondered has anyone got their eyes tested then bought online or would you advise against this method?

Any comments/suggestions greatly received.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Starlight

Starlight Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    I think Id be wondering how they can do them so cheaply.... is it a reputable site... its not worth risking your eyesight x

4. lildanni

lildanni Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st10lb
    Current Weight:
    11st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st2lb
    Lost(%):
    2st7lb(18.23%)
    Diet:
    Weightwatchers
    My mums colleague set up a website dealing with this. I think the reason they do them so cheap is coz they cut the middle man out so to speak. I got my last lot off a website and they were fine (I need another eye test now though)

5. fillymum

fillymum synful soul

Start Weight:
    107kg
    Current Weight:
    85kg
    Goal Weight:
    79kg
    Lost(%):
    22kg(20.56%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    That is very reassuring as the price difference makes it an appealing option.

I think I might take a look.

6. JemmaBe

JemmaBe Silver Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I've used glasses direct for years now, had 4 pairs of glasses from them, never had any problems and their customer service is excellent (I only sent them half my NHS, then couldn't find the other bit, they still gave them to me with the discount).

7. Jennyonaplate

Jennyonaplate Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    There was a report in the papers years ago which discovered that the average cost of making a pair of glasses was £8 - which then get sold on for a much much higher cost.

8. fillymum

fillymum synful soul

Start Weight:
    107kg
    Current Weight:
    85kg
    Goal Weight:
    79kg
    Lost(%):
    22kg(20.56%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    There was a programme on T.V. exposing the scandle of the high prices of specs not that long ago.

9. Lucky7

Lucky7 Gold Member

Start Weight:
    10st4lb
    Current Weight:
    10st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    My other half used Glasses Direct for the first time this year and was very impressed. He says he'll def do it again as the service and quality was, if anything, better than he'd ever recieved at the highstreet opticians (obviously, still have to have regular eye tests at local optician though).

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.