Anyone doing a marathon this Thanksgiving?

TwoPoundsPerWeek

I'll make it immediately clear that I am not. lol
I do have a few friends who are training hard to run their first marathons this Thanksgiving, and it's been amazing watching their progress. Amazing enough to make me consider doing it next year, if I'm feeling crazy. Is anyone else experiencing this, and what it's been like for you?

Not for Thanksgiving (we don't celebrate it in the UK) but my little brother ran a marathon two years ago and my big brother's fiancee is a triathlete, so I do think the bug will bite me at some point! I hate running, though, so I rarely do it - I do a lot of cardio, just not running. I really do want to like it, and I think it'd give me a great sense of achievement, so every so often (when it's been long enough since the last time that I've forgotten quite how much I dislike it) I give it another try.

I need some kind of running buddy who also hates running! I have a running buddy who really likes running, and he just makes me want to gently strangle him for being so cheerful about the whole torturous effort. :rolleyes:

LOL. I am totally with you. It's harder for me to be enthusiastic about running with people who are already good at it and enjoy it than with people who are on my level. My low, low level. I think that I might try to find a shorter run, like a little two or three mile fundraiser type ofthing to start with and work my way up. I'm just so intimidated by the whole idea. But at the same time, I KNOW how good it would be for me. UF!

i would love to be able to run and to get to the stage where i enjoy it but a stupid thing is holidng me back getting started - - - i dont want anyone i know to see me running cause i feel sure theyll laugh! ( must be something a bit wrong with me i think as i also cant stand the thought of people watching me sleep - sure a psycho analyst would have a field day lol )

when i am at work and away from home i am quite happy to go out and run a minute then brisk walk a minute ( as sadly thats all my lungs seem to be up to! ) but then when i am on my three or four days off and back home i dont do any training due to the shyness factor so i never really improve

ok i might make this my new years resolution - maybe i will feel differently when i am at goal weight

Slushy, I don't think there's anything wrong with you. There's a vulnerability in putting yourself out there, and I think it's normal to have some fear or doubt. When we're running, everything that we normally hide so well jiggles, and we worry that we look funny, or aren't "doing it right." But if you really do have an interest in building your running stamina, you can overcome these fears. You CAN. It's all in the mind. What is the very worst thing that will happen if someone sees you? The worst thing IMAGINABLE? Decide what that is and picture how you'd handle it. Also know that it's not likely to happen at all. People are incredibly self involved, and are usually too interested in their own worries to comment on yours. But just in case, you now have a plan.

Good luck to you.

Back