Anyone else get sore mouth eating pineapple?

peggypig

Silver Member
My mouth is a bit raw at the moment Ive been eating a fair bit of pineapple lately, does anyone else suffer with this?

yes I do. I've found it's not so bad if I freeze it first, and it gets worse the more ripe the pineapple is. I dont want to see my gp about it as I'm scared he'll say it's another allergy and I can't face losing another thing I love lol.

aha! got to love the internet. it contains a plant enzyme called bromelain. it's a chemical that's incredibly similar to one of your own stomach juices.

synthetically produced Bromelain is used most commonly as a meat tenderiser as it breaks down proteins, so basically what you're feeling isn't the effect of acid. it's the effect of a natural enzyme eating your flesh. like a fruit zombie.

leaving the pineapple overnight with air circulating around it helps apparently, as does drinking water while eating it.

I'm not gonna stop eating it, but I will go a little more easy on it knowing it's basically digesting my cheeks lol.

i get it too. with the sore teeth the best thing to have to counteract acid attack is milk or other dairy. i read it before. so when i get sore pineapple mouth, milk it is.

yep. it'salso that enzyme that's said to bring on labour in late pregnancy, but you'd have to eat about 12 raw, freshly prepared pineapples for it to actually have any effect on labour lol.

Yeh I don't eat it anymore which is a shame I love pineapple but my tongue goes all funny and hurts for hours after! Not worth the pain :-(

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

aha! got to love the internet. it contains a plant enzyme called bromelain. it's a chemical that's incredibly similar to one of your own stomach juices.

synthetically produced Bromelain is used most commonly as a meat tenderiser as it breaks down proteins, so basically what you're feeling isn't the effect of acid. it's the effect of a natural enzyme eating your flesh. like a fruit zombie.

leaving the pineapple overnight with air circulating around it helps apparently, as does drinking water while eating it.

I'm not gonna stop eating it, but I will go a little more easy on it knowing it's basically digesting my cheeks lol.

Haha this made me laugh so much - am now fancying a lovely slice of fresh fruit zombie and it's only stupid o'clock......damn insomnia!!

I normally buy the packs of melon,pineapple and mango from Asda every day really, but Ive been buying the pineapple lollies they have in little packets these are so nice Ive been eating couple of these a day as well. My tongue has been pricking and felt swollen (it wasnt) had it checked out.

So will leave pineapple alone for a bit,

In Soviet Russia, pineapple eat you!

My 12 yo son can't eat fresh pineapple. The only time he tried it ( about 2 yrs ago) he came with pineapple ring in hand to ask me why the pineapple had red juice, it didn't, it had affected him so badly his lips were bleeding!! He is fine with tinned tho, presumably something happens in the canning process.

Back