Anyone got any legal knowledge?

Discussion in 'Slimming World Off Topic' started by alexisemma31, 29 January 2011 Social URL.

1. alexisemma31

alexisemma31 Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    If a couple have a joint mortgage on a house, can one force a sale?

If not, what happens if they separate, what are the options?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. ColJack

ColJack Gold Member

Start Weight:
    33st5.5lb
    Current Weight:
    19st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    16st9lb
    Lost(%):
    13st8.5lb(40.75%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    no legal knowledge whatsoever, but I do a mean google..

this obviously involves lawyers etc so will be expensive..
    your other options are to buy him out, have him buy you out or come to an agreement to sell amicably..

4. alexisemma31

alexisemma31 Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    thanks

5. catxx

catxx Full Member

Start Weight:
    10st0lb
    Current Weight:
    9st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st3lb(2.14%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    Hi there, so sorry you are going through a difficult time. You can not force a sale through but it could be done through court. You would need to go and speak to a solicitor. A judge could rule that the property should be sold. Especially if there are arrears on the mortgage.

The mortgage company will only allow you to take on the mortgage if your income is enough to cover it. It used to be 3.5 x salary when I was in the mortgage business but I know that there have been lots of changes in the last 2 years.

The best way would be for both parties to agree to a sale. If you have arrears this would be damaging to your credit rating and the bank can start repossession proceedings which is not a good road to go down.

I really hope you can sort things, CAB can help but I would go and see a solicitor.

Good luck xx

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.