Anyone got any yummy recipes for rhubarb?

georgi21

I get a veg box and this week I got some rhubarb in it. The only recipes I can think of are really sweet and sugary dishes like rhubarb crumble, rhubarb and custard etc. so if anyone's got any recipes to fit in with the slimming world diet then that'd be great :) thanks x

What I tend to do with fruit like rhubarb, plums etc. is just cut into pieces and 'stew' until soft in a pan over a gentle heat in a little no added sugar squash (preferably not orange or lemon anything too citrussy, but apple and blackberry, forest fruits etc. any of those sorts of flavours work best ) or if not, a little bit of fresh apple juice - it bleeds its own juice as it cooks anyway, so only needs a tiny bit of liquid to get it started. Once it's cooled just store it in a tupperware container or jar in the fridge and just stir a couple of spoonfuls into natural yoghurt or fat free vanilla yoghurt as and when. Delicious.

A girl at my group last week said she stewed the rhubarb without sugar then added it to a strawberry sugar free jelly. I think she used a healthy extra cos she used a pound of rhubarb. It sounded lovely to me. :p

JOBUD said:
A girl at my group last week said she stewed the rhubarb without sugar then added it to a strawberry sugar free jelly. I think she used a healthy extra cos she used a pound of rhubarb. It sounded lovely to me. :p

That does sound nice, is the sugar free jelly free in extra easy? Or do you have to syn it?

Just checked and it's 1.5 syns per sachet so that's not bad at all. I've got some rhubarb growing in the garden so i'm thinking of giving it a go with some orange jelly. I'd still prefer it with a buttery crumble topping and loads of creamy custard though! Lol

stew it in a small amount of orange juice and mix it with any ff yogurt, this is also lovely with a ginger nut biscuit crushed over the top (cant remember the syn value of ginger nuts ,so will have to check)

Back