Anyone need a friend?

tulalawn

Hi All,

Im asking because I know I do. To put it mildly I'm lost in a sea of diets. Jumping from one to another and getting no where, and making myself worse in the process (self esteem, up weight etc.). If there is anyone out there similar who is in the same boat im here to talk. We can get through this together. No one should feel alone. I have some good friends and a great husband. But no one who I can speak to about my weight without feeling embarrased and stupid.

Hope to hear from ye all soon
Louise

Hiya! This is such a supportive place and many of us are tweaking our diets as we go along to try and find what is best for us. How much weight do you have to lose? I'm calorie counting and doing some brain re-training, but we have lots of ladies doing other plans such as Slimming World, WW etc
What plans have you tried? Are you leaning towards or away from any in particular? I do find that posting here in minis keeps me really focussed and the support and encouragement is amazing. So, if you're wanting a place to chat then you've definitely found it!
Essie x

Hi estameme.

Leaning towards calorie counting. when I leave out a food group I crave it and binge eat. How are you brain training do you mind me asking?

I've alot of weight to lose. Currently 21st ish (have to weigh and see the real damage) no looking for bmi glory of between 8.10 and 10.10 for my height. Would be happy being a size 14 or 13st. I'm so angry with myself for getting so bad. I've tried every plan and tablet and shake going. When weigh day looms I binge like mad and don't show up. Muse have started weight watchers and slimmingworld 8 times each. I'm at a loss as to what to do. I feel so childish saying that. Eat less move more is the calculation. But why can't I put it into practice.

It's odd that sometimes it just clicks and other times it doesn't. Don't beat yourself up too much though, think positive thoughts about yourself! You're here and you're trying, that's a massive step. Who knows, keeping a diary here and seeing your progress could be just the thing you need. There are some AMAZING women on here who have calorie counted their way to goal weight, others who are close and others you can just tell they will make it, they are so inspiring! There is no reason in the world why you can't be one of them too.

Im using techniques from a book called 'Eating Less' but I keep banging on about it and I feel like a stuck record, so feel free to check it out in Amazon if you'd like to know more! (Not being rude, I just genuinely feel like I go on about it too much!)

Hi Louise and nice to see you here! :)

We've all been in the "grass looks greener" diet hopping thing, hun, so don't worry about it and just focus on finding what works best for you. I'm the same with leaving things out and then craving them big time, low carb was a prime example - gimme gimme gimme bread! :).

Sx

Hi ladyfelsham.

Oh god yeah. Cravings are a big factor in my weight gain. 24/7 thinking about food doesn't help either. Wondering should I get a hobbie ha ha. Getting so bad now there is talks of gastric bands. So I physically can't eat. Bad sign when going under the knife doesn't even spur me on.

Welcome, tulalawn!

I started off weighing about the same as you, and now I'm nearly into the 14 stone bracket. I really, really struggled (and still struggle!) with cravings. But it can be done! It's hard and sometimes there are setbacks, but this forum is fabulous for encouragement and support.

When I feel a horrible craving coming on and want to go off-plan, I sit down, drink a glass of water, and count backwards from 105 by 3s. If I still want something to eat after that, I force myself to consider whether or not I would eat an apple if presented with one at that moment. If I wouldn't, and only want crisps or cake or whatever, then I'm obviously not really hungry. If I would eat the apple, then I just eat an apple (or something similarly healthy and filling) instead.

Also--and this one has probably been the biggest key to my weight loss--I've stopped rewarding myself with food. I still take pleasure in food--including the occasional treat--but I try to stop the line of thinking that goes, "I've had a rough day. I deserve this pint of ice cream." Instead, I made a list of non-food things that I love. I use things from the list to reward myself or boost my mood. I don't always succeed, but I keep trying.

Anyway, I don't know if any of that is of use to you, but thought I'd share it, since it sounds like we started from a pretty similar place. :) Wishing you all the luck! xx

Hello and welcome! I'm a fellow calorie counter. I started at 21.5 stone, and couldn't imagine getting down to a healthy weight as it was so far away, so I know exactly how you feel. This forum has helped me so much along the way, and I really hope it does the same for you. :) xx

If I still want something to eat after that, I force myself to consider whether or not I would eat an apple if presented with one at that moment. If I wouldn't, and only want crisps or cake or whatever, then I'm obviously not really hungry. If I would eat the apple, then I just eat an apple (or something similarly healthy and filling) instead.

GSP I think you've just changed my life. I might actually love you a little bit right now

Amazing Tracy. Did you have a kind of a plan throughout (calorie limit etc) or did you use an app? Did you do alot of exercise. Sorry about all the questions. Don't often meet someone who has lost so much calorie counting. Few people I work with did but with yucky shakes lol.

Amazing Tracy. Did you have a kind of a plan throughout (calorie limit etc) or did you use an app? Did you do alot of exercise. Sorry about all the questions. Don't often meet someone who has lost so much calorie counting. Few people I work with did but with yucky shakes lol.
Thank you! :) Ask away, that's what this place is all about! I basically use My Fitness Pal to plan and monitor my calorie intake. I didn't cut anything out, just reduced amounts - I must have my daily chocolate fix! I could definitely never do a food replacement plan, I love my food too much. :D I started off on around 2,000 a day, then gradually reduced it down to my current maintenance level of 1,400. No exercise at all - I have health issues which prevent that, so just dietary control. :) xx

I think that's where I'm going wrong. Starting off at 1550 being 21st. That is what myfitnesspal is giving me. I'd have no where to move between that and 1200 starvation mode as I dropped the weight. Will manually input 2000 tonight and see how I go. I can't exercise alot at the moment. Falling arches in my feet make it very sore. The weight isn't helping. So hopefully controlling the diet like yourself will help.

I think that's where I'm going wrong. Starting off at 1550 being 21st. That is what myfitnesspal is giving me. I'd have no where to move between that and 1200 starvation mode as I dropped the weight. Will manually input 2000 tonight and see how I go. I can't exercise alot at the moment. Falling arches in my feet make it very sore. The weight isn't helping. So hopefully controlling the diet like yourself will help.

Yes, I've always overwritten what MFP says, lol. It doesn't give a sensible figure a lot of the time IMHO. I have ME, as well as arthritic knees, so I just concentrate on calorie input. :) xx

Aw, you're both very welcome! I hope it works for you! :)

It did!! I was going to have more oatcakes and I thought would I eat a plain green salad if presented with one? Walked away from the packet and there was only 3 left. This is a monumental breakthrough. This is why I love this forum xx

Hello
I think weve all been there, im currently there at the moment and my diary is trying todecide which diet to start. Ive done sw and Cambridge before and both worked but then I put it all back on and a few stone more each time. Its accepting for me that I will always have a weight problem and theres no point working hard to lose it then going back to normal eating it needs to be a life long change but obviously with flexability.

For me its trying to decide between SW which works obviously but for me no matter how strict I am I only lose 1 or 2lbs a week which I know is what is recommended and it all adds up but with how down im feeling at the moment I want bigger encouraging losses which is making me consider slim and save as ppl seem to have fantastic results. I just go round in circles so know how you feel
x

I've yoyoed between 8st and 18st my entire adult life. I lose weight slowly and steadily but then something emotional hits me and healthy eating goes to pot. In the past 18 months my Dad died, my partner died and my friend died. I'm back up to 244lbs but ready to start again. I'm happy to lose 4lbs a month and intend to use a cross between calorie counting and slimming world. Slimming world the days I've time to cook, calorie counting on busy days.My first target is 219.9lbs by Oct when I'm going to Butlins with my 3 grandsons.Ultimately I need to develop easy strategies and habits to maintain my weight loss when I get there. I like the idea of the apple.

Back