Anyone not like the kindle?

Zest for Life

Gold Member
And why?

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I haven't tried it, but I just don't like the idea of reading of a screen, there is something about holding a good thick book in your hands.

I'm so in love with mine! Fits perfectly in my handbag, so easy on public transport etc. But nothing will ever beat the feel and smell of a book. And I still love losing hours in book shops.
So basically I have the best of both worlds! I use my kindle when out and about and tend to keep the heavier books for reading when I'm at home. I have also been known to buy the book, then download the book for free (shhhh don't tell anyone!) So that I can carry on reading the book if I'm on a long journey!

I haven't tried it, but I just don't like the idea of reading of a screen, there is something about holding a good thick book in your hands.

Everyone says that ... then they get a kindle and totally change their mind ;)

Everyone says that ... then they get a kindle and totally change their mind ;)

Gonna take a while for people to talk me into getting one. Plus I have 3 book shelves of books...so i'd end up back reading the books or needing to rebuy them all haha

I've got a Sony E reader, I love it

I'm still keeping my books though and buying certain ones.

I love the smell of books :£

I don't have one, but I have tried out my MIL's and I don't like it.

Several reasons really, but mainly, the way the screen looks as it changes pages. I'd prefer if it looked as if a page was being turned, rather than flashing up and down again.
I'd also be worried I'd drop a kindle into the bath or get sand in it or get it dirty - not an issue with a real book!

I also just love the whole history behind an actual book, the way you can pass them on to friends/family, the way you can tell someone's favourite book as it's the most worn on the shelf, the way you know tens of people may have read that copy before you (if you buy 2nd hand or use the library), and I love the dedications you sometimes find on the title page if the book has been a gift.

The only positive about a kindle for me is reading in bed whilst lying down - no aching arm/neck/wonky glasses from trying to get your book at the right angle!!!

I felt like this until I received a kindle for my birthday! I absolutely love proper books, my mum and I have boxes full of them but I love the handiness of the kindle. Usually on holiday I can go through 5 books which obviously takes up precious room in my luggage if taking them with me! Now I can take my kindle and read as much as I like, plus books seem to be so much cheaper on my kindle!!

I've been debating a kindle for a few weeks as I do also love a proper book - I have an iPad and iPhone but iPhone is too small and iPad isn't really something I can or want to carry in my handbag! - still not sure if to get one

As a lifelong bookworm i couldn't imagine enjoying reading on a Kindle, but.... had one for Christmas and i LOVE it! Still love books as well though and picked up 5 new paperbacks from the thift shop at the weekend.

Got one yesterday and I was the same with the 'I like real books' but my goodness I LOVE this!

Had mine for over a year now and I love it!! Have not read a paper book since. I do love the feel and smell of books and the excitement of starting a new book, but still prefer my kindle. x :)

I toyed with the idea of getting one for a few months. I received some argos vouchers at christmas and a nectar card statement and thats what convinced me.

I had £45 of nectar points and £10 in vouchers so the kindle cost a very small amount. I love it and wouldnt be with out it now!

So handy, easy and practical!

I've had mine since Christmas day. Not one day has gone by without me using it & I take it to work everyday as it just slips into my bag. I've not found anyone yet who doesnt like theirs!

Edited to say my daughter who is 2 doesn't like it and will insist on shutting it and hiding it when I'm reading when she's around! I think she may be jealous of it! Haha!

I love my kindle its the best thing ever been made. I can view books on ipod touch, htc and computer plus other devices and it saves me carrying lots of books around all the time

i have the sony prs300 we found it refurb on waterstones ebay site for £45. thought its cheap enough to give it a go and if i hate it have not spent a fortune i always said would never have an ereader but - honestly cant be without it and even better because its epub/pdf can borrow books from the library as well as the hundreads of thousands free on kobo :) now i want a kobo touch lol
i still read 'real' books and get them as presents but have the best of both worlds :)

I have the kindle and I love it. For those worrying about dropping it in sand or the bath. You can buy a waterproof case on amazon. I sit in the pool on holiday with my kindle and a cocktail.

Back