Anyone quit smoking and continued to lose weight on Dukan?

Madison

Hi folks,

Well just as the title says. I've been really thinking (again) of trying to quit and successfully do it once and for all. I've tried to quit about 4/5 times. Hypnosis, Alan Carr seminar, Alan Carr book, cold turkey. With each method I've stayed off them for 3 weeks to 3 months. Each time I've tried my hardest not to substitute the cigs with food but of course haven't managed to stick to that plan. The last time I quit I did it for 3 weeks back in February after reading Alan Carr's book. Found I didn't even want a cigarette but instead shoveled and I mean shoveled the food (mostly junk) down my neck each day for the 3 weeks, incidentally I was doing WW at the time!! As a result I lashed on just over a stone. This now thankfully has gone thanks to the lovely Dukan plan. I still have a stone to lose and was just wondering if anyone out there has managed to successfully quit and still lose on the plan doing both.

I really don't know what to do, part of me is saying wait until I've the last stone gone and then try it. From my previous experience, trying to do WW and quit at the same time didn't work. I really don't want to put back on any of the weight I've just lost. I would love to have the last stone gone by the end of July and I'd be really disheartened also if the weight loss stopped altogether.

So would love to hear what y'all think. Should I wait till I'm at my true weight or try beforehand?

As per usual my Dukan pals, any advice or help greatly appreciated xx

Hi Madison,

I stopped smoking 35 days ago, and 3 weeks ago I threw myself into Dukan and so far I've lost 7 1/2 lb. I think it depends on your smoking habit, how many you smoke, what your triggers are etc.

I never smoked alot anyway, I could go 16 hours at work quite happily without a cigarette, but once I was home I needed a fix and would smoke loads, 10 - 15 on a non work day. I used champix to help me quit and it removed the cravings for me without making me hungry. I've now stopped taking it because I only need it for the first few weeks to get over the intial cravings.

The problem you will have is that once you get to your goal weight your still going to have the same problem as if you quit now. I would seriously consider stopping now. With Dukan you can eat as much as you like and still lose weight, so if your in the zone with your diet I'd stop smoking and make sure you stick to Dukan foods.

Hope that all makes sense. Good luck with the diet and stopping smoking. I went for a run today and I can really feel the difference with my chest and breathing, its so worth it both health wise and financially.

Hi Madison, I stopped smoking 14 years ago while on sw, I smoked 60 cigs a day, I only slept 5 hours a day( that's how I fit them all in) I loved them.....but I had lost about a stone and just thought if I can lose weight I can stop smoking. I went to bed on the Sunday night and I have not had one since. If your ready and truly want to for you and body else....you can. Its easier than dieting because with food you have to eat to live but you don't need cigs, you never need to put another one in your mouth again. You've already proved you can lose weight so....What are you waiting for DO IT.....just break the habbits, after meals get up and walk any time you'd smoke change routine.......ooooo I did rabbit on a bit there but losing weight and stopping smoking at the same time I say yes, it stops you replacing a ciggy with food....same as Dukan drink water good luck with your choice x

Hi,
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I will definitely take on board what you've said. Huge well done to you both for kicking the habit. I go on hols in 2 weeks time so I'm thinking of not buying any duty free on the way home and starting from there. One last fling in Lanzarotte me thinks!
thanks again x

Lanzerote. .......enjoy x

and you've plenty of time to reread the Allan Carr book (which did it for me...). While yes I did gain weight, I didn't gain initially when I was being very careful and walking lots.
:)

Maintainer said:
and you've plenty of time to reread the Allan Carr book (which did it for me...). While yes I did gain weight, I didn't gain initially when I was being very careful and walking lots.
:)

Same hear maybe 2lb gain, but worth it x

Thanks again for the replies and advice, I'm thinking to myself if I stick rigidly to my Dukan path, keep up the jogging there's no way I can put on a load of weight. I know what they say about the metabolism slowing down and all that but I wouldn't be that upset with a 2 or 3 lb temporary gain. I think instead of buying duty free when away I'm gonna stock up on patches instead for when I return. Here's hoping anyhow, am just sick of smoking at this stage and can for the first time feel it in my chest and throat first thing in the mornings. Not good and it's my time I believe now to do something about it. It's always been the putting on weight issue before that's put me back on the darn things. Was just thinking to self yesterday, that I'm eating really healthily, exercising (something I've never done before) in a great headspace and puffing away on poison. Just doesn't make sense to me anymore. Anyhow, sorry for rambling on. Thanks again x

Back