Anyone trying to sell their house?

Lucylu79

Gold Member
Please tell me i'm not alone in this awful market!

We will have been trying to sell for 1 Year in April/May and the thought of no offers and just a handful of viewings made me take action this weekend and so we reduced the asking price and asked for advertising etc.

We had a phone call yesterday and so at 2pm today we have a viewing but after so little and some cancelled one's I seem to be so un-interested, usually I get excited and think could this be the one....

Are you trying to sell your house too? How are you finding the whole experience?

I know people in this situation, and it is really difficult at the moment.

Have you thought of having an "open house" day - you will obviously get some time wasters, but more and more agents around here seem to be doing it, so they must think it is worth while.

It's just so frustrating when there's a house we want to buy! Not thought about an open house but I'll look into that cheers.

We were going to sell so we could buy something bigger so MiL could live with us. We found there was very little on the market where we wanted to buy. In the end we're no longer looking as she is going into a nursing home instead:(

We were going to sell so we could buy something bigger so MiL could live with us. We found there was very little on the market where we wanted to buy. In the end we're no longer looking as she is going into a nursing home instead:(

Oh no sorry to hear that! We were hoping to buy a 4 bed so I knew I had room for my mum, just in case you know?

Need to sell now!!!!

We wanted one which would have a downstairs room big enough to put a wet room in & make it her own room, so she wasn't spending all her time with us, which meant we'd still have our own privacy. Just little things like lying down together on the settee to watch telly, I just couldn't see myself doing that infront of MiL:rolleyes:

We were going to have carers come in morning & eve, but she really can't be left alone for more than 2 hours, it really is so sad she has to go in a nursing home. But when you think about it she will get all the care she deserves.

I was really lucky with my house. I bought it in Nov 2010 and from offer to completion everything was done in 28 days. 4 houses on our row have gone up for sale since we moved in and they have all been bought in a similar fashion and at a profit, so we've been thinking about doing it too. OH's dad is selling his house which is a 4 bedroom detatched in a really nice part of Liverpool, it would be great if we could sell ours and buy his, but knowing my luck it wouldn't work out like that for us!!

I was really lucky with my house. I bought it in Nov 2010 and from offer to completion everything was done in 28 days. 4 houses on our row have gone up for sale since we moved in and they have all been bought in a similar fashion and at a profit, so we've been thinking about doing it too. OH's dad is selling his house which is a 4 bedroom detatched in a really nice part of Liverpool, it would be great if we could sell ours and buy his, but knowing my luck it wouldn't work out like that for us!!

Only one way to find out!

I went to see a psychic recently and she said I would be packing in the summer and had to make a choice between a brown and a white door so fingers crossed she is right!

Don't be so negative Jezza. Go for gold!

I tried to seel our house back in the 80s. The council went ballistic:eek:

28 days?!?!?! Thats amazing!!!!

Yes- I experienced none of the usual stress. We put an offer in and submitted our forms for the mortgage, less than a month later the estate agent called and told us to collect the keys :eek:

I hadn't bought a single thing because I didnt want to jinx anything. I hadn't even packed any of my stuff! It was mental. I phoned my Mum and said we've got the keys and she was like "the keys for what?", haha.

Ha ha , yeah i'd be like wtf? Are you sure!

28 seriously is amazing, I've heard of completion within 2 months but that was 'pushed through' and I should know - FIL is an Estate Agent!

It was a reposession and the bank wanted their money. Doesn't matter when civilians need the money, but if the bank wants it they get it :) Amazing isn't it?

I'm not selling, I'm trying to buy.
I've been saving for a deposit for 7 years so I've got 30% now which makes me a lot luckier than other people trying to buy. However, the prices of houses around here are incredible. Watching the market in the last year, prices are falling all over the place and offers are being accepted up to 20% less than the asking prices. Eg. A friend has his first offer accepted for £125K and the house was on for £150K!

A trick around here (if not everywhere else) is to put "Offers In Excess Of £xK" which puts me off straight away. If I make an offer on a house, it's below the asking price regardless of OIEO or not.

Also, I was told once that if you're not totally embarrassed by your first offer price, it's too high!

That said, a house is worth what it is worth to YOU. We just haven't found the perfect one yet.

There have been several houses for sale on my estate for well over a year with no success. I haven't seen a single 'sold' sign on my estate in over a year. The area is beautiful, surrounded by cornish countryside and extremely low crime rates and an excellent secondary school. The problem is that we are quite rural, its a good 35-40 mins to the nearest city for jobs and transport links are shocking and too expensive to be realistic. I think in this current climate, people want to be near to where the jobs are and reduce on travel costs over living somewhere that looks pretty.

Back