Anyone usung this before surgery?

vicky_notts

Hi guys. I've been on orlistat for a little over 2 weeks. I've been out on this for 3 months before I get referred for weight loss surgery. I do feel I've lost weight although I get obsessed with weighing myself 5/6 times a day so I've threw out the scales. I'm to go back to the nurse every 4 weeks for her to weigh me and look at my menus etc and get another prescription. The thing is. If these pills work. I'm not sure I want surgery anymore. Half of me is saying no and the other half is thinking what if I'm in in this same position again in 4 years and wish I did do the surgery.
I'm just so unsure now. Anyone else using these for surgery???

How much weight do you have to loose? As quite a few people on here have done really well using the xenical tablets :)

Ok I started my journey on orlistat & after 4 months went it alone & lost 7st 7lbs in 14 months. I admit I have gained a stone back in the past 6 months but that is on it's away off again. I have a friend who had a band 6 weeks after I started my tablets with 10 stone to lose & she's lost 4 stone up to now so about half of what I lost. I think her problem is alcohol though.... My personal feeling is if you can avoid risky surgery try it. Good luck & keep posting for support xx

Thanks,I've got 2.2 months to decide anyway so ill see. I'm just sick of being overweight now. I'm 32. Engaged 5 years been together 11. I want marriage. Children. The fella is 10 years older than me so we need to have children soon. Ill prob need ivf as we been trying for 9 years now. I just need to think long run. Is surgery for me etc.
xx

Thanks,I've got 2.2 months to decide anyway so ill see. I'm just sick of being overweight now. I'm 32. Engaged 5 years been together 11. I want marriage. Children. The fella is 10 years older than me so we need to have children soon. Ill prob need ivf as we been trying for 9 years now. I just need to think long run. Is surgery for me etc.
xx

It is a really big decision & as I'm sure you know neither way is a quick fix but for me personally surgery was never a route I'd have gone down but I understand why people do xx

I would never have surgery too risky and you always hear of botch up jobs on the NHS. You have only just started it's going to take a year or so to get rid of the weight you want to lose that is nothing time does fly. You will feel better about yourself if you do it through your own hard work rather than having a gastric band i think people always seem to look deflated when they have one. Secondly is it actually confirmed you will need IVF? being overweight/obese can stop you falling pregnant.

I was near your weight when i started these tablets once you get a few weeks under your belt it becomes like second nature so glad i have stuck to it. I don't agree with having scales at home as i would obsess over them too so choose to get checked at the doctors once a month. I will probably get some stick for this but my opinion is you got yourself to that weight like myself and others on here why should the NHS fork out for an operation when people can do it without surgery. I want to actually enjoy my food not be limited by a band on my stomach yes on Xenical it has to be low fat but i would rather have that than be restricted to x mouthfuls.

By the time it comes to 2 and a half months if you stick to the plan you could be on to losing near enough 3 stone

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do

I would never have surgery too risky and you always hear of botch up jobs on the NHS. You have only just started it's going to take a year or so to get rid of the weight you want to lose that is nothing time does fly. You will feel better about yourself if you do it through your own hard work rather than having a gastric band i think people always seem to look deflated when they have one. Secondly is it actually confirmed you will need IVF? being overweight/obese can stop you falling pregnant.

I was near your weight when i started these tablets once you get a few weeks under your belt it becomes like second nature so glad i have stuck to it. I don't agree with having scales at home as i would obsess over them too so choose to get checked at the doctors once a month. I will probably get some stick for this but my opinion is you got yourself to that weight like myself and others on here why should the NHS fork out for an operation when people can do it without surgery. I want to actually enjoy my food not be limited by a band on my stomach yes on Xenical it has to be low fat but i would rather have that than be restricted to x mouthfuls.

By the time it comes to 2 and a half months if you stick to the plan you could be on to losing near enough 3 stone

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I totally agree with you. I got myself into this. I should get myself out. But I've been up and down from a size 12-30 since forever. I lost 8 stone on lipotrim 5 years ago and it slowly crept back on. I've had 6 months worth of clomid fertility treatment while I was at my slimmest and still never got caught. Both been tested and although the fellas is a little low it's nothing to worry about they said and all they found with me was a polyp on my ovary which they removed and said there should be no Reason now....4 years later still not been caught. It's prob more iui ill need rather than ivf but I sure cant get caught naturally :0(
Deep down I'm hoping this works for me as I know surgery isn't the easy way out. X

Hiya! I personally would never have gone down the surgical route, for the same reason I'd never do a VLCD - I love food too much and would rather work on my relationship with it whilst still being allowed to eat normally. But that's everyone's personal choice at the end of the day. Another thing to think about with the surgical option is the loose skin issue, as with any kind of rapid weight loss; you may have already experienced this with having lost a lot in the past, but it can certainly be problematic with WLS, and the NHS tend not to fund removal of it. I started off with the same as you to lose, 9 or 10 stone, and have now lost very nearly 9 stone using Orlistat and calorie counting; think I'll probably end up going for the full 10 stone now I've got this far, lol. As for the fertility issue, you may well find things improve with weight loss, as a lot of people do, though obviously there are no guarantees. If you take a year or two to lose the weight, you'll still be plenty young enough to concentrate on the baby issue - I say this as a 51 year old who had her first (and last!) child at almost 38, lol. Fortunately the worst of my weight problems (even though it's been a lifelong problem!) arose in my 40s, after I'd had my daughter.

Anyway, that was a rather rambling way of saying I'd personally give it a year or so to lose weight in a non-surgical way and keep the WLS option in reserve - the time really will fly, as someone else said. I also agree that it's best to banish those scales! I've been an obsessive weigher in the past, and it really doesn't help, quite the opposite, and I'm fighting against heading that way again at the moment! All the very best. :) xx

Hi guys. I've been on orlistat for a little over 2 weeks. I've been out on this for 3 months before I get referred for weight loss surgery. I do feel I've lost weight although I get obsessed with weighing myself 5/6 times a day so I've threw out the scales. I'm to go back to the nurse every 4 weeks for her to weigh me and look at my menus etc and get another prescription. The thing is. If these pills work. I'm not sure I want surgery anymore. Half of me is saying no and the other half is thinking what if I'm in in this same position again in 4 years and wish I did do the surgery.
I'm just so unsure now. Anyone else using these for surgery???

Hi I have started taking Xenical today. I had a gastric band fitted in 2006 after quite a few years of weight problems following a hysterectomy. My weight has gone up and down and up and down. Joined S/W twice in last 3 years and also tried Cambridge last year, today tablets!!! Many people think surgery is going to be your saviour, I can tell you from my experience and many other peoples that it is not. How are you finding the pills?

Back