ANYONE WORKING FROM HOME?

Mrs Depp

Gold Member
I'm on the lookout for advice from anyone who is now or has in the past, worked from home.

I've not decided exactly what to do (or whether anything will come of this) but I'd welcome any advice you'd all care to give.

I'm maybe thinking of childminding, I've been an Avon rep in the past but didn't really get to earn anything as I didn't have many customers, maybe even CDC ing but not sure whether I could make enough out of that either.

Hope someone can come along and give me some much needed insights into possibilities! :D

Thanks!

I'm a travel agent and work from home. I'm self employed, but work for Hays Travel (bit confusing I know). The only thing is you need to have done 2 years working 'inside' so to speak before ABTA will allow you to work from home, but if its a long term plan then maybe it will work.

I believe the AA have started homeworking. They are going 'green' apparently and their carbon footprint has been significantly reduced by having homeworkers. I think they have homeworkers to answer the phone when someone has broken down. Check out their website hun. Good luck.x

I used to do Kleeneze. The exercise of posting and collecting the catalogs was a bonus too!

Hi Carol (See I do post occasionally...)

As you know, I work from home (and all over the flippin county some days!) doing my CDCing, some bookkeeping for OHs business and 'other' stuff... I live in one of those places where you can't do just the one job :rolleyes:

If you have something in mind, there's usually a way. Re the CDCing - best thing is to speak to your own CDC who would sponsor you.

And now I've realised I'm not being that helpful! I'll give you a bell when I next 'stop'!!!

Biggest thing about working from home, is do you have the motivation to keep yourself going. I know I miss working 'with' people as such. I, personally, get distracted very easily (on here, the phone, MSN...:eek:) and then stress that I've not got everything done. Then again, its great knowing that I can stop and enjoy the sunshine - when it appears - and go back to work later and no-one is any the wiser..... Plus I can make my work fit around the family - kind of :rolleyes:

sorry, waffling again. Time for bed!

Thanks Taz :D There's already a couple who do Kleeneze around my area and to be honest I don't think many people bother with it! :eek::rolleyes:

Hello Debbie! :D Boobyjood was my CDC and has said quite a few times that she'd be willing to sponsor me, I just worry that I'll not get many people coming though!

Motivation? That's easy really, the mortgage is enough motivation for me, just knowing that I can earn enough to not have to rely on the ex and whether he's feeling generous enough to donate towards his kids! :rolleyes::mad:

The family thing is another problem, at the moment I have to rely on ex to look after the kids 3 nights a week and my mum to come around for a couple of hours until he gets here in the hols. Also they both hate me working because they hate their dad looking after them (so it's a vicious circle!)
Me being at home would make their lives much more stress free as well as mine. :rolleyes: Plus I'm a real homebird most of the time lol!

how are you with numbers? There's always small businesses looking for bookkeepers and you can usually do a home learning course to get you started.

Not sure if Learn Direct do one but they've a website (Which I'd find and link you too if I wasnt so darn knackered tonight, sorry :eek:) and also there are often ads in the mags with similar companies.

Just a(nother) thought!

Carol
I have always worked from home - on and off!

Avon rep, Tupperware, childminder, CDC.

Could you do CDC-ing with something else to begin with? Or childmind daytime and CDC in evening??

What about fostering?? Many councils look for weekend or respite care ....

how are you with numbers? There's always small businesses looking for bookkeepers and you can usually do a home learning course to get you started.

Not sure if Learn Direct do one but they've a website (Which I'd find and link you too if I wasnt so darn knackered tonight, sorry :eek:) and also there are often ads in the mags with similar companies.

Just a(nother) thought!

Lol thought you were going to bed?! :D I told myself the same thing about an hour ago too! Decided I was going to get an early night for a change but I'm still here! :rolleyes::eek: I'll take a look at Learn Direct tomorrow if I can get near the pc before work. Thanks Debbie!

Carol
I have always worked from home - on and off!

Avon rep, Tupperware, childminder, CDC.

Could you do CDC-ing with something else to begin with? Or childmind daytime and CDC in evening??

Hmmm I'm thinking that childminding is a better option overall for me, and as you say, maybe CDC a couple of evenings each week.

What about fostering?? Many councils look for weekend or respite care ....

Fostering wouldn't really be an option as I've only got 3 bedrooms and they range from extremely small (11ft by 6ft) to small (12ft by 12ft) lol! So no room for any more kids to stay unfortunately.

You seem a little negative. Finding the reasons against. What makes you wouldn't get the numbers if you were to become a CDC? Obesity in Britain is growing at an alarming rate. I can't remember the figures last broadcast off hand but they were huge over the next five to ten years. I'd go for that one. More and more people are going to be looking for weight loss solutions and will want one to one help in this.

hi i know u said there is a few kleeneze rep in ur area but i do kleeneze and can say ive never found it a problem with other reps being in area and the money is there to be made.

one of the girls i know is earning £650 per month just by putting catalogues out but u can earn more like one man in my area who has give up his full time job and earn £1800 per month just a thought x

Have a word with Jude being a CDC is so flexible you can do it part time and see how things go. A lot of CDC's start that way then move to full time.

If you want to chat about the ins and outs of being a CDC PM me your tel number and I will call you. Jude is one of my CDC's so you would be under my umbrella:)

Lol thought you were going to bed?! :D I told myself the same thing about an hour ago too! Decided I was going to get an early night for a change but I'm still here! :rolleyes::eek: I'll take a look at Learn Direct tomorrow if I can get near the pc before work. Thanks Debbie!
"Someone" kept me up chatting :rolleyes:
Then this film came on.......... I did go eventually!
Have a word with Jude being a CDC is so flexible you can do it part time and see how things go. A lot of CDC's start that way then move to full time.

Yep, thats how I started, fulltime just kind of 'happened' :D
If you want to chat about the ins and outs of being a CDC PM me your tel number and I will call you. Jude is one of my CDC's so you would be under my umbrella:)

Which would make us cousins!!! (And if I'd known that in Liverpool, I'd have called her 'aunty Jude' Lol! -good vodka partner by the way...:rolleyes:

You seem a little negative. Finding the reasons against. What makes you wouldn't get the numbers if you were to become a CDC? Obesity in Britain is growing at an alarming rate. I can't remember the figures last broadcast off hand but they were huge over the next five to ten years. I'd go for that one. More and more people are going to be looking for weight loss solutions and will want one to one help in this.

Ooh reading that post back I did sound negative didn't I? :confused: Sorry it's probably just the way my life is at the mo, it's easier for me to see the negative rather than the positive.:rolleyes::eek: Also, although I don't live in a bad area, to me there doesn't seem that much call for a CDC, though I'll never know until I try I suppose! :)

hi i know u said there is a few kleeneze rep in ur area but i do kleeneze and can say ive never found it a problem with other reps being in area and the money is there to be made.

one of the girls i know is earning £650 per month just by putting catalogues out but u can earn more like one man in my area who has give up his full time job and earn £1800 per month just a thought x

Hmmm dd, that's worth looking into too. I'd thought that as we have a rep in our area it wouldn't be right for me to take on work too. Admittedly they're not regular, sometimes it can be months between catalogues, but I'm just remembering my Avon rep days a couple of years ago and I was lucky if I had 3 customers in my area! Never made any money from it and so had to give it up. :(

Thanks Linda, I'll text Jude and see when she's free to chat. :) I'll pm you my number now, but I'm working for the next few days and so won't be around until Sunday so whenever you're free I'd be grateful for a call. :D If I'm one of your 'umbrella spokes' does that make you my auntie lol?!:D

"Someone" kept me up chatting :rolleyes:
Then this film came on.......... I did go eventually!

Sounds to me like 'someone' is a bad influence!! ;):D

Which would make us cousins!!! (And if I'd known that in Liverpool, I'd have called her 'aunty Jude' Lol! -good vodka partner by the way...:rolleyes:

Cousins? :D Sounds good to me lol! :D Haha you should've heard her in the car on the way home lol! She's funnier when she'd pished! :D Our conversation went from one extreme to the other and I'm betting she can't remember any of it lol! :D

There is but you have to pay out quite a bit to start with and your earnings really are up to you. If you go out every 3 days dropping catalogs you can cover a large area and get lots of orders but you have to be prepared to do the leg-work

Hi, I work for the local council and work from home (I’m currently off sick). There are many field work jobs that ask that you work from home or ‘hot desk’ due to lack of office space. I do go out and do visits but update my records on my lap top accessing the network all provided by the council when I get in.

My closest friend is a child minder and has been for over 30 years and loves it. She minds in a separate room from the family room but apart from that the children are pretty much part of her family. There are lots of support groups for childminders now complete with training and guidance.

Being at home means that I have to be disciplined because I can quite easily be distracted and start cleaning or dealing with home life – which can mean that I am on the laptop until after midnight sometimes Lol!! On the flip side I’m always available for workmen, to attend appointments deal with family sickness etc.

I think someone mentioned book keeping but how about proof reading? There are also more practical services like doing laundry – customers could drop it off and collect it. You could offer a home cleaning service, do home care etc. All of these can be flexible so that they fit in with you as well as your client.

Good luck

Aislinn x

You are right about needing to be disciplined to work from home! I have my own wedding and party planning business and I do all that from home and sometimes it can be easy to drift off and do other things! I keep checklists though so I always get my work done

"Thanks Linda, I'll text Jude and see when she's free to chat. :) I'll pm you my number now, but I'm working for the next few days and so won't be around until Sunday so whenever you're free I'd be grateful for a call. :D If I'm one of your 'umbrella spokes' does that make you my auntie lol?!:D"

You would be my Cyber Great Grand daughter, Debbie is my Cyber Grand Daughter as are Jude and Bev, Mike is my Cyber Son:rolleyes:

Big family on here:cool:

Back