Are indian spices syn free?

Janeasetler

This is my year!
Hello everyone,

I needed to know if indian spices are syn free, I want to make Tandoori Chicken and want to use the Tandoori Masala powder.

I'm still don't understand what spices have syns

xxxxx

This should be in the syn forum and you might have gotten more replies there, so if it moves location don't panic!

Garam masala, chilli, garlic, ginger, turmeric, coriander, cumin/jeera, asafoetida, cinnamon etc are all free/superfree etc

not sure which ones you would think have syns?

Only "herby" things I've seen with syns are the salad seasonings or seasonings with sugar added. Whole or ground plain spices and herbs are fine. So if its in the wee jars or packets they should be fine, things like the chilli con carne mix from Schwartz etc have syns as they have sugar and flour added, but chilli powder, cumin etc won't

Is that what you mean?

If they are i'm in trouble :D

Just looking at the food optimising food it tells you on pg 19 that they are free.

hth :D

They're all going to be free if they're the basic herbs/spices.

If they're combined in some sort of "easy cook" packet, they may have sugar or starch added: check the calories and that'll give you the syns.
Beware of spices in a paste, though: they will be combined with oil, and quite high syn. Again - check the calories on the packet/jar and count a syn per 20 cal.

What about the East End Tandoori Masala packets?
Coriander
Salt
Fenugreek
onion powder
Black pepper
Chilli
Garlic powder
Cassia
Cinnamon
Cumin
Ginger
Clove
Bay Leaves
Nutmeg
Celery Powder
colours (E124 & E102)
Spice Extracts
Lemon Oil
Citric Acid
Cardamon

I can't find the info on this in any of the books or on the SW website.

xxx

I did wonder about the lemon oil :confused: not sure if that is synned.

oil for all types 1 tsp is 2 syns on all plans so that would only be 1/2 syn each if you base it on 4 servings.

Given how low the down the list lemon oil appears I would doubt if there's as much as 1tsp in it? If its a dry mix its likely to be a minimal amount

Given how low the down the list lemon oil appears I would doubt if there's as much as 1tsp in it? If its a dry mix its likely to be a minimal amount

That's what I thought, but even if you aired on the side of caution I would take 1/2 syn for it, just me though.

It's dry spices, I mix 3-4 heap spoons into live yoghurt slit the chicken drumsticks and marinate.

Best thing about this pack of Tandoori Masala you don't have to add anything else.

No nuitional info on pack.

xx

It must be free I use the pataks tandoori paste and its only 1 syn per tbs,

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back