Are you aiming for a healthy BMI?

slimsarah

Silver Member
My reason for asking this is I never have done.

As you can see from my stats, my bmi has reduced alot, my main goal is to get down to around 160lbs which I think is a bmi of around 26, so still overweight.

Right now I've a bmi of 31. Obese! However although I still want to be slimmer and there are bits of my body I cannot stand (I have body issues) I'd need to lose just under 3 stone to get a healthy bmi (top end). I'm not sure I'd look right. I really want a healthy bmi but I don't see how I'm ever going to look even remotely healthy losing another 3 stone.

I feel like it sounds like an excuse to stop and it's not. I'm currently wearing a size 14 in most things. I even bought a few size 12 tops recently. I'd like to keep some curves.

Sorry for waffling on but I'd be interested to hear if you're aiming for a bmi of 25 and under? I know I could get there with exante, I'm just not sure I want to! Am I making any sense lol? xx

You're making total sense.

I'm 100% with you on this. I don't doubt that with Exante we could easily get down to a healthy BMI, but like you, I don't think I want it. I would like to be a size 12/14, but toned. Obviously, this may change when I get there, but for now, the idea of being a size 12/14 seems like a nice place to be.

I'd say to stop when you feel comfortable in yourself, whether that's having reached that healthy BMI benchmark or not. Whatever weight or size you stop at, you'll be a damn sight more healthy and happy than you are right now.

Thankyou for the reply. It's reassuring to know I'm not the only one! When I started my new lifestyle at 21 stone I thought I'd be happy at 16 stone, then I got there and kept setting new targets. Today at 13.4 I'm actually feeling quite comfortable. I really want to see the 12's. That will be a major achievement for me. Maybe I'll stop at the high 11's. xxx

I'm not going by BMI either- I've never really liked it as it doesn't take into account body shape, muscles etc. Saying that, BMI is a good general guide. My goal is to be a size 10 again, although as I lose weight I'm starting to think it's no longer achievable without looking odd! I was a 10 in my late teens then got fat. My hips seem to have got a lot wider and I don't think they'll ever be a size 10! My boobs are also still weighing me down and I know I'll never get into a button up shirt because of them!
I've got 10st 7lbs as my goal weight, but I think if my best friend says anything I'll stop. I trust her completely and know she wouldn't sabotage my diet. I, like a lot of people on here, can't see what's in the mirror, so it is good to have someone who tells the truth!

Hi slimsarah im going for 12 stones which according to BMI is overweight. For my height my ideal BMI is 8 stones:eek: but thats not gonna happen i love my curves too much.

I must admit I am aiming for a normal BMI.

All sorts of reasons really, but mostly because as a nurse I know how much this is used in healthcare settings.

I rarely go to the GP - even being so overweight, I am very healthy - but if I do go, I don't want to be lectured ever again!!!

The last time I went to the GP - with rip roaring tonsillitis, feeling like death - had to endure a lengthy lecture about the risks of obesity. As if I didn't know all that anyway!

That was nearly 2 years ago, so I'm planning on a big surprise for them for my next ( hopefully not anytime soon ) visit! :D

Im aiming for a healthy bmi just because I wanna feel better I wanna know that number says I'm healthy! I wish my gp would lecture me about my weight I've been loads of times wanting help and support and I'm never taken seriously even tho my bmi was over 40! After I had my daughter I had gestational diabetes and on my 6-8week check up I mentioned that I was worried I'd get diabetes and the doctors attitude was just eat less! Seriously if I walked in there lookin like a bone I might have got more attention silly doctors!

its amazing how the body alters, i didnt think i would get down to a size 12 and im there comfortably. i still have the love handles and the wobbly skin etc but once i have completed the refeed i will be joining the gym to tone up (tried exercising on the diet and i just dont have enough energy, so one thing at a time). i would see what you look like and feel when you get to your goal and you may want to carry on. I still have a little way to go but i am praying to be a size, whether i get there or not is another story. good luck.

I'm not aiming for a healthy BMI, I'm aiming to be a size 12 - that's when I was my most comfortable and happy with my size and how I looked

BMI (although used a lot) doesn't take into account muscle mass or body shape

I want to be a size I'm happy and comfortable with as I'm more likely to be able to maintain at that size :)

I am nearly at 'normal' weight and a BMI of 25. I do feel however, that I need to lose more weight, mainly around my middle. I would say though that the BMI is only a guide. I know super fit people who eat healthily, go to the gym, spinning classes, run - everything, yet their BMI is way over the 25 mark. Stop when you feel comfortable. You have done marvellously well do far

It's about getting to a healthy weight you can maintain. In order to stay at the lower end of your BMI imagine how strict you will have to be with yourself. At 5'8 I am happy around 10 stone, any lower and I know I would struggle to maintain.

Good luck, just see how you feel personally x

No I am not aiming for a healthy BMI although would love to!

Don't want to pressurise myself too much. To be honest I am a size 22/24 at the minute and I would be over the moon to be a size16 in any normal shops I walk into.

Thats my aim SIze 16. I know I would look ok at that size, I remember being there a while ago x x

Yep, I am. Last time I did this journey I got to around BMI 26 and looked normal, but not slim and still a bit bulgy. I wanna be slim so will carry on this time for longer - until I'm around 8stone naked after a wee in the morning, so that my 'real' weight for horse riding will be around 8.5 which is near the top of my healthy BMI range. Not sure what I'm going to do to tone up, but I will worry about that when I'm slim enough to see the difference!

The last time I did this I aimed to get to 11 stone which is 25 bmi, I did this but still felt I needed to lose more so went down to 10 stone 6lbs which is again what i'm trying for. The only reason that I wanted to get into a so called "healthy" range was because it gave me a target to aim for.

No I am not aiming for a healthy BMI although would love to!

Don't want to pressurise myself too much. To be honest I am a size 22/24 at the minute and I would be over the moon to be a size16 in any normal shops I walk into.

Thats my aim SIze 16. I know I would look ok at that size, I remember being there a while ago x x

Oh my you remind me so much of me !! I started at a size 26 and size 16 was my aim , and I never really believed I would ever get there , then I did so I aimed ofr 14 .. now I am there I really want to be a 12 !!! It just so happens that the weight I really want to be is just in the healthy BMI ( 24.9 I think ) but I couldnt care less what my BMI is . I want to get to a point where I feel good and look good and no number is going to tell me I am wrong !!! BMI does not take into account any muscle mass , different builds etc ...it is a good rough guide but it can be dangerous when not used properly . For example all body builders/ rugby players are obese from BMI .. but most of them dont have an ounce of fat on them .....

All sorts of reasons really, but mostly because as a nurse I know how much this is used in healthcare settings.

Similar - yes, BMI is not perfect - but I'm not an elite athelete, body builder or a man etc... so it's good enough for me! :p

& i find that a number on the scales does not lie - whereas for me, a clothes size can depending where you shop or how tight you wear it etc. :eek:
I also think that in general people seem to be getting so much bigger that our perspective on what is 'healthy normal' is completely skewed. I shocked people at work (& we're all medical!) when I told them what my BMI had been when I started this diet - it's easy to try & dress well etc. & people don't think you're tahat big when I was technically obese. Scary.

So I want a cold hard number! But also a healthy lifestyle & better aerobic fitness too!

My current aim is a lower BMI than I've ever weighed myself at before (I must've been there or lower when size 8 briefly at Uni - but when I was that slim I didn't bother weighing myself!) but was picked to be in the middle of the health range to give some leeway for maintenance and hopefully pregnancy.
Once I get within the healthy range I may reassess though as last one I weighed myself at last diet was half a stone more than this target & I was very happy with that.

PS - Sorry for intruding - I did Xante briefly between leftover LL & discovering S&S!

Darcy15 said:

I rarely go to the GP - even being so overweight, I am very healthy - but if I do go, I don't want to be lectured ever again!!!

The last time I went to the GP - with rip roaring tonsillitis, feeling like death - had to endure a lengthy lecture about the risks of obesity. As if I didn't know all that anyway!

That was nearly 2 years ago, so I'm planning on a big surprise for them for my next ( hopefully not anytime soon ) visit! :D

Hi Darcy. Your story rang bells! I went to my GP years ago with an infected ear lobe - piecing went wrong or something. No sympathy, no treatment, no common sense, just the BMI lecture and threats of you will never get a mortgage and life insurance. Of course, total rubbish, I treated the ear lobe myself and de registered.

BMI measurements don't take age into account or muscle mass. I have a new GP now - after some years of avoiding them at all costs and her advice, BMI it's a rough guide, stop when you feel good. I feel good, especially when the weight loss app says BMI NORMAL! Other measures such as blood sugar, waist height ratio, cholesterol, blood pressure etc are probably a more accurate assessment of health and well being - especially when you leave your twenties.

Morbid obesity is a real health risk, you can see it by looking, so complex calculations are not always helpful or necessary.

So I agree, do what feels right for you.

GSQ.

Back