Are you safe to drive on this diet?

I_dream_slim

Silver Member
Ok, I know this is a weird one...I've done a vlcd (LL) previously but didnt drive at the time. It was only when i finished the diet that certain family members said sometimes i was a bit spaced out on it etc..This may have been on days when i didnt drink enough....as i was on the inside looking out, i dont know!

Anyway, now bigger than ever and feel i need to do something drastic once more...and this time...see it through to maintenance.

My question is...ive had around 16 hrs of driving lessons...on friday i start an intensive with a view to pass my test in the next 3 weeks or so ready for a new job in September. I'm worried about driving on a vlcd. I know loads of people do it, and im probably just being silly. I think its because i'm still a learner, the thought of being not entirely on top of my reactions etc...worries me!

What do you think...i imagine i'll be fine..and its probably just a case of mind over matter and getting on with it....I imagine id be better to have my lessons middle of the day after a couple of packs too?

Thoughts everyone?

I drive to work and back every day, and outside of work too! Don't have any problems.

I think you will have to see how you get on yourself, if you are feeling faint then stop but that would be the same anytime, regardless of whether you are on a VLCD or not! I'd just drink plenty of water and don't do too much exercise if this will make you too tired to concentrate.

My journey to work is 45 mins each way an I've had no problems with driving. No one else has complained about my driving when they've been with me either (lol) so you should be fine.

Good luck with the lessons :)

Thanks all! I think it's just because I didn't have a job(just out of Uni) and didnt drive when I I'd LL so it's a v different situation to nw :)

I'm sure I'll be fine-just wanted to check :) xxx

A vlcd can cause problems with your concentration. When you are learning a new skill (such as driving) you need more concentration than someone who has been driving for years. When I drive for example, I only need to concentrate on the road ahead, everything else is automatic. When a person is learning to drive, they need to think about what their feet are doing, at the same time changing beer and steering.

Once you are into ketosis and not feeling hungry, it can help concentration. Everyone is different, only you know if you are up to the task. Good luck!

Thanks for the good advice! In auto so at least the changing gear and most of the footwork is taken away (well one of the feet anyway!!)

I've ordered 28 day bumper with the freebies!

Have my assessment for intensive tomorrow and food won't have arrived so may start Monday-having been in the car another couple of times!

Fingers crossed it'll be fine!

Good luck! If you do decide to start Monday, you can always use the next 3 days to prepare your body, but cutting down on carbs and sugars.

keep posting and using this forum, especially in the first few days of the diet. It has helped me in those tough days!

Back