Are you still in the "diet" mentality?

JosieDelonge

Hiya!

I know this is supposed to be a healthy eating plan rather then a diet since you can eat everything you want (either for free or syns) but do any of you still feel like you're on a 'diet'?

It came to me the other day when I wanted to eat something and thought to myself "I can't wait until I get to target and can eat normally again..."

What's eating normally? I think I must mean that I want to be able to eat a bag of crisps and some chocolate in the same day with biscuits! Not healthy even for non-dieting people!

I've been doing SW since September last year and it annoys me that I'm still seeing it as a restricted diet even though it isn't!

Any ideas how to get out of that mindset?

I know I'm eating the same food as always. The only difference is the way I cook it. I know I need to restrict on certain things like having a takeaway but then even that can be worked in to plan (as long as it's not every week!). I just seem to be stuck in diet mode instead of embracing healthy eating for life mode! :confused:

I tried to post about this a while ago but my computer kept freezing and it never posted so I'm not sure if that ever fixed itself and did post or not. Sorry if it's a repeat!

I know what you mean, sometimes you crave something and think, cant wait to have that when ive finished! But we can have it now, we just have to save syns. Which kind of always brings it home to me how unhealthy some foods really are. I mean, i would think nothing of having a kfc before sw, but now, i couldnt bring myself to spend 39 syns on a zinger burger! let alone the fries, gravy, mayo etc that i used to have with it! food for thought eh! xx

Funnily enough I thought this the other day, about getting to target and then eating what I want.

Its not chocolate or the like I was wanting it was a bag of chips with batter, salt and vinegar I was hankering after. An indian takeaway without worrying about syns was also on my mind :eek:

I guess its all about seeing these foods as treats and not as normal we have to get used to. We know if we have these now in excess we could put weight on, thats why we avoid them.

If we treat these foods as normal when we get to target, we wont be there for long :eek:

Last edited:
I don't know how much of this is a generational thing. I'm in my late 30's and grew up viewing certain foods (chocolate, crisps, take-aways, etc) as occasional treats--which, when I was a child, they were. In part, this was because we couldn't afford to have them in the house all the time, and in part it was because my mum had more time to cook fresh meals for us--certainly more time than I have nowadays. But as those foods became cheaper and more accessible, and as I got older and more in control of the foods I was eating, they started to appear more and more frequently on my menu, but my mindset was still that I was having a treat, the problem being that I was having my occasional treats all the time. Defining them as treats, even on a subconscious level, makes them all the more desirable, no matter what they taste like. Part of my process right now is to tell myself that these foods are abundantly available and that the opportunity to eat them really will happen again. It's helping at the moment, but then I'm only 4 weeks in.

I started off planning for "D - Day" - Diet Day. It took about 8 months though for it to click - this isn't a diet, this is how I eat - and how well I keep to plan is revealed in the weekly score - the only time I hope for a negative score (i.e. weight lost). :)

Since being at target I have been more relaxed about what I eat. I haven't gone back to the way I ate before SW, but I have had things that wouldn't be easy to have whilst trying to lose weight. Whilst maintaining you do get a little extra leeway, so if you want to have a curry for example one night then you can, but I am concious of it now, and know not to have something so calorific the next day as well. I am much more aware, I know what I've eaten and when whereas before I probably wouldn't have remembered what i'd had for unch that day let alone for most of the week before.

I dunno, I guess what I'm trying to say is Yes, I am relaxed, and yes I do eat what I want now BUT I know that I have to be careful. I need to make sure I'm eating right for my weight. I would say that my diet is 80% good, and 20% not so good (I won't say bad - because I don't see any food as bad - just not food that should be eaten all the time), whereas when I was losing weight I did need to make sacrifices so my diet would have been 90% good and 10% not so good (syns)....

That's JMO though :D xxx

Definitely still in the "diet" mentality. I need to find middle ground and not be all or nothing. I also need to stop thinking so much!!!

I think we think of 'eating normally' as being a bit gluttonous, personally. well at least i do! i think eating a bag of crisps, a bar of chocolate, some biscuits, some ice cream, lasagne with garlic bread etc etc as normal. and it's not.

my slim friends aren't on diets, but every single one of them 'watches' what they eat. I plan to be like them, always monitor what i eat forever, and over time it will just become more and more natural to make the right decisions.

With me, I know its not a diet, although I still often refer to it as one..its a label that has just stuck. I dont deprive myself of anything, I still have my packet of crisps and chocolate and even better an indian meal. I just have eaten the better choises for so long, that its now second nature.
When I have reached target I know that I will never be able to eat the things that I once did anyway due to my gastric band, so for me, Im enjoying my food now, I know what I can and cant eat again both from a healthy food choise and also down to my gb restriction. McDonalds, KFC and Burger King will never be an option for me again..likewise fish shop chips...my gb wont keep them down!

Hiya!

I know this is supposed to be a healthy eating plan rather then a diet since you can eat everything you want (either for free or syns) but do any of you still feel like you're on a 'diet'?

It came to me the other day when I wanted to eat something and thought to myself "I can't wait until I get to target and can eat normally again..."

What's eating normally? I think I must mean that I want to be able to eat a bag of crisps and some chocolate in the same day with biscuits! Not healthy even for non-dieting people!

I've been doing SW since September last year and it annoys me that I'm still seeing it as a restricted diet even though it isn't!

Any ideas how to get out of that mindset?

I know I'm eating the same food as always. The only difference is the way I cook it. I know I need to restrict on certain things like having a takeaway but then even that can be worked in to plan (as long as it's not every week!). I just seem to be stuck in diet mode instead of embracing healthy eating for life mode! :confused:

I tried to post about this a while ago but my computer kept freezing and it never posted so I'm not sure if that ever fixed itself and did post or not. Sorry if it's a repeat!

For me I'm still on a diet after 3 years. I still go to group so I'm still dieting in my mind.

I never went back to eating normally as it was normally that got me 3 stone heavier. SW is eating normally now even though I consider it a diet.

I make choices every day, do I have a biscuit with my cuppa, do I have a cake at starbucks, do I eat my packed lunch or do I get a panini, do I have garlic bread with my pasta.....

I DO have some of these things but I know how many I can get away with without gaining.

Last week I STS, I had an Indian (dhansak, plain rice, a third of a naan and 2 poppadoms) so a good meal but with a treat - I'd have liked bhajis or a full naan but I chose not too. I also had a bag of sweets and a bar of chocolate. Every other meal was SW and I had my A's and B's which were weighed and measure. I still measure my cheese!

What I'm trying to say is that I had treats but I watched them and every decision was thought through, that's eating normally for me!

Back