Argh!! I smoke so much more on this diet

Dolls&Pins

I have found that I smoke so much more on this diet, Normally I would only have around 2 to 3 cigarettes a day, on this diet I am smoking around 13 a day...Not good at all but it's like I am substituting them for food :( Is anyone else like this?

Luckily I'd quit before I started S&S. However, I would imagine it's because you're used to eating more than you are now, therefore you're doing less with your hands. To fill this gap you're having cigarettes instead. Try and get something to do with your hands when you feel you want one of these extra cigarettes. Or get an electronic one and have that on the extra each day and only allow yourself 2 or 3 real ones.

I can imagine the two being connected. Is there nothing else you can do to occupy yourself? maybe chew gum or take up a herbal tea habit?

my OH quit smoking a year back using tablets on prescription -forget the name but they make you just stop smoking, he didnt even finish his course.
I dunno if might be too much right now, maybe concentrate on the diet then work on the smoking after?

Not a big smoker, but smoking less since starting slim and save. I find the taste in my mouth makes smoking less enjoable.

Another benefit for me:)

I find the same happened to me- thinner but always smoking! It's a boredom thing I think. Keep your mind/ body busy and you won't want to smoke, I find that the same triggers that would make me eat before are the same that make me smoke- boredom, stress etc.

I have reached goal on S&S and now quitting smoking. My doctor directed me to local smoking cessation service, some doctors have them based at their surgeries but I live in the sticks so my appointment was by telephone. Had a quit chat with her on the phone, asked what I'd tried before and what I'd heard of.
They can provide gum, patches, all that stuff. Nowadays they also prescribe two types of medicine if you are suitable. One is called Champix, the other Zyban. You take the tablets for up to 2 weeks before quitting completely and the urge to quit just goes away. Champix works by shutting down the receptors in your brain which react to nictotine, so it's not enjoyable anymore. Zyban is a mild form of an antidepressant, not certain how it works but it reduces cravings.
I have been prescribed Zyban which I'm collecting next week, then starting it a week tomorrow. You keep smoking for up to 2 weeks then quit. You take the tablets for 3 months.
The service costs nothing except the cost of the prescription which is every 2 weeks, if you normally pay for prescriptions.

Back