Asda unsmoked Gammon steaks 530g

Please help?

I bought some Unsmoked Gammon steaks in asda earlier on today as i thought these were brill as they were free, to my horror they have 9g of fat per 100g which is terrible, i have looked at the back to see if anything else was added to them and it seems theres not, i have grilled one of them which would of been over 250g as theres two gammon steaks in a packet and cut off the excess fat, just wondered if people could help me out on the syn value for these each as i dont have the syn calculator and was shocked to find these actually was not synless.

Many thanks

Nic

If you've cut off the excess fat then theyre free. The nutrition on the back is telling you the values *including* that fat which you've cut off - so once its removed its fine.

For example, if you look at this bacon it's almost 20% fat - but once you cut off that fat it is free.

And tbh 9% fat is really not all that much. If you compare it to mince, below 5% usually counts as free, or very low syn depending what meat it is - below 12% is 'low-fat' so pretty low in syns.

here you go:

Gammon, lean only, 100g raw Free
Gammon, lean only, 100g grilled Free
Gammon, meat & fat, raw/grilled, 100g 5½

Enjoy your gammon :)

Gammon is free, as long as you cut the fat off before cooking.

Back