Asthma

vickidyers

Silver Member
Hi all - I need to get a little of my chest (quite literally!), although I'm a bit down - I think writing about it will help!!

I had a chest infection last week (ut-oh) to any asthma sufferer, but I seemed to get over it in 48hours. But I have been breathless ever since and no matter how much inhlaler I take (ventolin and symbicourt) made no difference. I can cover/hide it well, but work finally noticed it when I collapsed at work on Friday with sats around 91% and pulse at 110.

They put me on nebuliser (only making me slightly better) amd semt me to docs. He has given me steroids and antibiotics. For 24 hours now I have been lying down and I am typing this from the bed. If I answer the phone I struggle to breathe.

I am hoping the steroids kick-in soon otherwise I am facing going into hospital this evening and I really hate that.

I am also hoping that steroids and antibiotics wont affect my weight loss as I have been doing very well so far and I know losing weight will only benefit my asthma. Any thoughts out there how to keep weight under control when stuck in bed on all these pills!!?? x

Last edited:
My brother discovered that his asthma was triggered by artificial sweeteners especially saccharine. Maybe have a look at that?

My brother discovered that his asthma was triggered by artificial sweeteners especially saccharine. Maybe have a look at that?

I could try cutting it out, but I've had loads of tests and nothing been found yet - I've been asthmatic since I was born. I'm willing to give anything a go.

I know there is a load of people out there a lot worse than me - I'm quite lucky really, generally I live a perfectly normal life and if I have an attack a couple of sqirts on my inhaler and I'm away again. This only happens to me (I would estimate) once a year - so not bad really. I just need a kick up the a*se and told to sit it out!!

Thanks for your reply Shirleen x x

vickidyers said:
I could try cutting it out, but I've had loads of tests and nothing been found yet - I've been asthmatic since I was born. I'm willing to give anything a go.

I know there is a load of people out there a lot worse than me - I'm quite lucky really, generally I live a perfectly normal life and if I have an attack a couple of sqirts on my inhaler and I'm away again. This only happens to me (I would estimate) once a year - so not bad really. I just need a kick up the a*se and told to sit it out!!

Thanks for your reply Shirleen x x

No problem, he told his dr about this and the dr reckoned there was no relation....um one minute he's being hospitalised monthly and the next not! He then drank Orange squash and was really bad again!
Hope you find some relief it's so horrible, I have it very mild, almost never now, for some reason drinking fizzy lemonade really fast gives me a little relief, must be the huge breath I have to take!

My brother could not put on weight as a kid as a result of his asthma, hope you're as lucky iyswim?

Sorry to hear you're feeling poorly. I hope it doesn't involve a hospital visit, but if it does, fear not... I was laid up all week last week, as wasn't yet recovered enough from an op, to do anything. I just watched what I ate and had a great loss in group when I went for WI. I think if you are careful, you can come out the other end with a smile on your face.

Get well soon x

Back