Away with work

Carmilla

So miserable cos I'm having to be totally off plan this week. I'm staying in a travelodge while manning a stall at a trade show. I've got apples, pears, alpen light bars for my breakfast but the food at the show is all calorie laden and at night I have to eat out. I went to tesco express this morning to get something for lunch and the only 'healthy' option was a light choices salmon sandwich. No salads at all. I feel like I'm undoing all my hard work, I had a pork pie and a burger yesterday because I was starving. Feel disgusting.

I have this problem when I work away, I'm vegan so thr only things I can eat are bread and hummous and crisps :/

Do your best with the options available is the only option sadly, do you drive to these places a lot, maybe get a 12v/240v fridge so you can keep salad/meats cool :)

Hi Hun

You're doing a good job that you can so that's good. Things like this can't be helped when you have to work away though.
I start my new job next week and I will have to spend sone days in other areas of the uk whilst I do training so I'm going to ensure I will be prepared for it xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Thanks everyone, luckily I won't be doing these events very often. Going to make the best choices I can then get back on plan on Monday.

Travel Kettle - so you can make cous cous etc.and add things to it Don't know what plan you are on but are there other instant foods you can eat?
I have a little "travel kit" -plate and bowl, thin and light chopping board and knife - cutlery.

(I bought a small electric ring and cooked for a couple of months for 2 of us in a hotel room and it payed for itself over and over)
Travel Cooker Dual Voltage - CiT Adventure Store.

I understand this one well - I had to live in a hotel for 2 weeks when I went on an international assignment and at first thought it was great that I could treat myself but by the end was just craving normal homecooked food - put on a bit of weight during it too :( You're making as good choices as you can, could you buy a pack of ryvita, a few tomatoes and a tub of light cream cheese from tesco in the morning and take that with you for your lunch?

Carmilla, this happens to me regularly, I was in a travel lodge recently and managed to get to a large supermarket for instant mash, salad, some beans etc. not at all glamorous. However, when I have to go abroad with colleagues it's the eating out that becomes the problem, just do your best, if you can sway the crowd to a harvester which is a bit more user friendly or look at the threads for eating out. There is plenty if good advice. Don't despair, just try and prepare ( ooh, that came out like a mantra!)

All the best

I have a similar (although less serious) problem. I drive a van and have no access to cooking facilities. For lunches, I have a travel food flask (b&m bargains for £3.99) and I make up couscous salad, or put a bachelors savoury rice pack in with some boiling water for a few hours and it cooks itself. Mug shots work that way too so if you have an old kettle, these are options.

Miss taken you can get 12v fridges and mini gas camping stoves (single ring) and I found I can live off this nicely. In my van I keep a large propane cylinder with a double ring and grill, can cook virtually everything on it and this setup cost about £100 including propane bottle which is worth about £40 I went to Europe and lived in my van for 3 months with this setup and it filled all I needed...check on go outdoors for cheap stoves etc ideal for work/campervans/camping etc :)

Miss taken you can get 12v fridges and mini gas camping stoves (single ring) and I found I can live off this nicely. In my van I keep a large propane cylinder with a double ring and grill, can cook virtually everything on it and this setup cost about £100 including propane bottle which is worth about £40 I went to Europe and lived in my van for 3 months with this setup and it filled all I needed...check on go outdoors for cheap stoves etc ideal for work/campervans/camping etc :)

That's actually a great idea, I never thought of a camping stove. I'd been checking around for something like a 12v toaster before I started slimming world so that I didn't spend as much money at hot food bars but had no success. Seems the power requirements were too much for a simple 12v supply, but I will definitely look into that!

Thanks

You can get 12v inverters too but beware as they run your battery down. In my van I have a solar panel spare batteries that I run my 12v/240v in the back and a power inverter so nothing drains my starter battery. It's quite a setup but I live in my van during summer so its needed. I got a double ring and grill cooker, can get a small propane bottle and pipes, will cost no more than the cost if eating out over a month. Plus it will be so much better for you, you can stick on plan then :)

I might be bit daft but wouldn't they set the smoke alarms in the room off?

from fat to skinny jeans only 50lbs to go

I'm worrying about this too. I'll be away tues-thurs this week.

I'm planning in picking up some Alpen light bars and some bananas. I'll try find a supermarket close to the hotel for some more fruit.

Quite lucky this time there are only 2 I us. If I was going with the usual crowd from work it would be wine all night!

Back on plan today, feel so relieved to be back on it! Can definitely tell a difference in my body from being off it, skin is terrible, feel tired and sluggish. Never thought I'd get 'addicted' to healthy eating!

I've noticed the same, for the past month, I've been yoyo-ing a bit, one weeks great, the next is not so much, and my skin had just about cleared up at the start of April and now it's all broken out again, definitely motivation to get my posterior in gear again :p

Back