Back from fat camp... Put weight on!

shazzy_shaz

Silver Member
Stupid I know but I booked a bootcamp pre-Cambridge and still on SS i soldiered on and still went! I was determined to stick to SS while there it was some hardcore 5 hours of exercise a day with every torture exercise available! Got on my scales and it says I've put on 8lbs!

8lbs! Does anyone know if it's just the swelling of my muscles, my body hanging on to my shakes... I did have to have protein foods like chicken/ mince as per CDC instructions!

Any advice as I've got my cambridge meeting tonight and I'm dreading it to say the least :(

Meh???? Are you sure your scales are working properly??????? Eating mince quorn won't have made you put on weight. I am on Step 2 and eat quorn products and still use.

I know strenuous exercise can encourage a temporary plateau but putting on weight??? Did you measure yourself?

Oh bookworm im so upset! I've literally never been in so much pain! I was literally walking and crying but tney wouldnt let me stop it was agony! Which makes me think it could be water retention/ muscle swelling... Teying to be optimistic! We were burning on average over 2000kcals... And that just for the normal/ skinny people! So god knows how many a fatty like me was burning off! My mum said how much slimmer I look, so I'm going to bite the bullet and measure myself as I'm hoping the inches have gone at least then I can console myself with a gain!

I'm hoping tomorrow whatever's gone wrong will disappear and slide off me! I just hope it won't affect my wright losses on SS for the next few weeks! :(

I can only see two explanations: either your scales are broken somehow OR you've trimmed down and toned up a lot. Hence why you need to measure, and not just your chest/waist/hips. Look at your trousers, your tops. You'll have toned up everywhere with such a gruelling exercise regimen. Your clothes will tell you.

But I understand how heart breaking it must be nonetheless :( Did you have any idea of your body fat % before the boot camp?

I was 17:6 lbs so my body fat was at 35.5! So I'm going to get my CDC to measure me as well and see what happens! I've literally never been in so much pain! I was literally walking and crying but tney wouldnt let me stop it was agony! Which makes me think it could be water retention/ muscle swelling... Trying to be optimistic! We were burning on average over 2000kcals... And that just for the normal/ skinny people! So god knows how many a fatty like me was burning off!

You know what, I would completely disregard this WI and let your body "cool down". It needs to get back to normal and it might have had a freakish reaction to the intensity of the exercise you were doing.

It might be water retention... How much did you drink? You must have sweated a lot during these 5 hours a day, so if you did not compensate by drinking more, it might be a reason.

But still, 8lbs!!!

I know! I wish at that rate I did eat the food they gave us if I knew this would have happened to me! I might ask my CDC not to
Weigh me this week as I just can't bear seeing a gain on my card! I normally drink 5 litres a day and think I probably was dehydrated/ didn't drink enough to compensate! I'm just going to see what happens and try to move on for next week!

Or she could weigh you but not write it down. Just so you can compare with next time you're weighed. How rubbish though, you go to all this trouble to lose weight and exercise and you put on weight. Nature isn't really nice to women, I tell ya :(

Haha! You're telling me! Well I'm not going to let it beat/ get me down as I know when I get back on SS with no excerise I'll be able to shift the excercise weight gain!

Nature really isn't a fan of women! Men have it easy lol :)

I know, men can diet so much more easily and the more they exercise the more they lose, even on CD!!!!! I guess it's because they're wired to build muscles (it's the hunting, haha) whereas we women, as humble gatherers, we store fat for baby making :p

I would not stop exercising completely though. It'd be a pity to let your "muscle tone" go. You must have gained some serious muscle weight too during your boot camp. :)

Haha! Hopefully! I'm definitely going to give it a few days/ possibly week or two and let my weight losses settle back into their normal routine! Then do light/ moderate exercise rather than crazy extreme horridness! :D

Ah i totally feel your pain here hun i never done exercise to the extreme you did but i did push myself alot one week also 100% on ss so i was super excited for my wi and i had gained weight!!! I was so upset i really almost cried my cdc asked me if i had done any workouts so i told her yeah and she pointed out that i had lost a good % of fat and i had good cm loss even though i gained 'weight' my body had started to build muscle so after your boot camp which was far more extreme than mine i can understand such a gain but even with her explination it still is not nice to see a gain. I agree with above posts just disregard this wi till your body calms down but defo get measured cos it did make me feel loads better to see a loss there atleast x

Awww thanks everyone! I did put on 8lbs and my CDC said it definitely isn't dietary so that makes me feel alot better! She also advised that I weigh myself in 3 days, then 6 days and see what happens! She said she was proud of me doing and that not to panic as she knows that I haven't cheated or binged on carbs! I can definitely feel muscle underneath the swelling so I think I'm just going to chill out! My CDC said she doesn't know how I made it through the days and me too really! After all the lectures from the trainersabout how bad the Cambridge diet and how id put it all back on when im done blah blah blah I thought I'm going to show you!

Last edited:
I can definitely feel muscle underneath the swelling so I think I'm just going to chill out! And wait for a few days! My CDC said she doesn't know how I made it through the days and me too really! I think part of it was After all the lectures from the trainersabout how bad the Cambridge diet and how id put it all back on when im done blah blah blah I thought I'm going to show you!

Well I'm glad I listened to you all and didn't reach for the toast to carb binge as I weighed myself this morning and dun dun dun... Back to 17:5lbs again so I put on 8lbs in three days and then lost it again over night! Whatever's going on I'm just glad it's going back down! Phew what a relief :D as always thanks again for your support everyone!

it does seem as if you maybe didnt eat enough at bootcamp and the exercise would have forced your body to hold on to water and fat stores, plus you would have built muscle too during the time there so whatever the scales are saying, im sure its not reflected in your body shape and tone. i bet you'll see a difference in your clothes and measurements over the coming weeks so you need to look at these too. dont panic too much, exercise is fab for you and a bootcamp style will have really shocked your body so expect to see looser jeans soon!

The gain is/was probably water. If you were SSing then you really shouldn't have been doing so much strenuous exercise. Not only are you taking-in way too few calories for that, you are also taking in too few carbs. We need glycogen to fuel our muscles and on Cambridge and other VLCDs carbs are vastly reduced compared to any 'normal', average daily intake. There are too few carbs in Cambridge to support the muscles through sustained, extreme exercise for one day, let alone five, so you were risking injury.

When the body is underfed and overworked (lol) it will burn as few calories as possible even when exercising. It will also cling to even more water. And since muscle weighs more than fat you may find that you weigh a bit more, or STS, whilst registering smaller measurements.

In this case I'd say the body was clinging onto extra fluid to hydrate you and to try protect your muscles from injury. The surplus will be gone before you know it!

And watch out - too much exercise coupled with too few calories/carbs can make you starving hungry! The body will 'turn-up' your appetite to compensate.

All the best with the rest of your Cambridge journey x

Last edited:
Back