Back to Slimming World - Referal from Doctor

Davey1984

Hi All,

I have been very depressed lately over my weight and how fast it is increasing due to my bingeing (I was diagnosed with an eating disorder a number of years ago) and I feel like it is becoming out of control again, so I went to the doctors yesterday to get some help and I have been advised that I need to leave Weight Watchers as this is a very obsessive plan and to obsessive for an eating disorder sufferer, and I must say I kind of understand and been thinking the same thing.

Well my doctor has referred me to a dietician who will in turn refer me to Slimming World as this is a much healthier eating plan than all the other eating plans out there, especially Weight Watchers and will help me on my road to recovery. Now although I know it is not the actual plan, it is the choices I make because weight watchers can be just as healthy providing I chose the right types of food, but counting points for all types of food eating is very obsessive and the freedom allows for binges.

Who agrees with this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated xxxx

I think all weight loss starts in the head for most people and it's about finding a plan which suits you.
As you said, WW is a healthy plan but can allow for you to use your points on "unhealthy" options if you choose.

SW does have less counting, but you do still need to weigh cereal and cheese, measure milk, watch the bread etc and of course count the syns BUT you can have unlimited (within reason) pasta, potatoes, rice, meat, fish etc which does take away a lot of the thinking behind things.

I do hope SW works for you and that you get the help you need from the dietician :)

I went to WW a few years ago, lost weight and then put it back on. Then I started to low carb and that worked great for me. No counting calories, but limiting carb intake.
I maintained for a while now and been putting on lately so started SW for various reasons.
I like the extra easy plan and so far feel full and easy to stick too with great recipes in SW mag.
Good luck and sorry I could not help more. I am sure someone else will offer great advice.

Davey1984 said:
Hi All,

I have been very depressed lately over my weight and how fast it is increasing due to my bingeing (I was diagnosed with an eating disorder a number of years ago) and I feel like it is becoming out of control again, so I went to the doctors yesterday to get some help and I have been advised that I need to leave Weight Watchers as this is a very obsessive plan and to obsessive for an eating disorder sufferer, and I must say I kind of understand and been thinking the same thing.

Well my doctor has referred me to a dietician who will in turn refer me to Slimming World as this is a much healthier eating plan than all the other eating plans out there, especially Weight Watchers and will help me on my road to recovery. Now although I know it is not the actual plan, it is the choices I make because weight watchers can be just as healthy providing I chose the right types of food, but counting points for all types of food eating is very obsessive and the freedom allows for binges.

Who agrees with this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated xxxx

Are you receiving any other help like Cognitive BehaviourTherapy to help you stop bingeing?

Your weight gain is a symptom of a bigger issue, really whether you binge on cake or carrots it's still an underlying issue, Dora that make sense?
Of course bingeing on carrots will be better for your weight ( but you'll be orange), but I feel that perhaps you need help making the decision NOT to binge.

Anyway that's only my opinion and personally I couldn't do WW as it made me obsessive and I gained every time!

Best of British!

Are you receiving any other help like Cognitive BehaviourTherapy to help you stop bingeing?

Your weight gain is a symptom of a bigger issue, really whether you binge on cake or carrots it's still an underlying issue, Dora that make sense?
Of course bingeing on carrots will be better for your weight ( but you'll be orange), but I feel that perhaps you need help making the decision NOT to binge.

Anyway that's only my opinion and personally I couldn't do WW as it made me obsessive and I gained every time!

Best of British!

I totally agree, I am undergoing tests at the moment to ensure that there is no other reason to me gaining weight and then the doctor said we will deal with the pscyological side of things. So I am hoping this will help me with the bingeing.
I have my hospital appointment on Thursday for my tests and then I can go back to the doctors after that.

Thank you all xxx

Davey1984 said:
I totally agree, I am undergoing tests at the moment to ensure that there is no other reason to me gaining weight and then the doctor said we will deal with the pscyological side of things. So I am hoping this will help me with the bingeing.
I have my hospital appointment on Thursday for my tests and then I can go back to the doctors after that.

Thank you all xxx

Oh I'm glad of that!
Perhaps in the meantime try eating six smaller meals a day so you never get hungry? I know that when I get hungry I can eat and eat without a feeling of being full!

I quite agree, WW made me become very obsessive and I was one who would rather have a Mars Bar than chicken breast ! I know those points aren't equal but use it just to highlight that you can make unwise choices on points. I did Propoints for a while and didn't loose anything. The old points were better for me. I just joined SW last week and have found it very easy. Just eat till you satisfied whilst following the guidelines. I do think that SW is more achievable and maintainable lifestyle choice without having to worry about calculators and WW food. All marketing ploys and money making gimmics.

Back