Bad First Class Experience

flutter-by-us

Silver Member
Hi I went along to my first class last week and am due to return this week but I was more than a little disappointed with my first class (this is the first time I have been to any sort of slimming club). I just wanted some thoughts from anybodywho attends class.

As I said this was my first week so I was clearly not sure on what to do but basically I got my books, got a number to be called when i was to be weighed and that was that. The leader didn't explain anything, ask about my targets, ask if I knew what I was doing - she noted my weight wrote down 5 and 10% and that was that. I stayed for the whole class but there was no introduction - nothing.

Without this site I wouldn't have a clue .....

So I am a little unsure whether to return if this is what class is like or should it be different? I'm not expecting or wanting special treatment but even 5mins to explain basic stuff and actually make me feel welcome would have been nice!

Am I expecting too much??

xxxx

every class I have been to had a begginers session at the end x

There should have been a new starters talk at the end of the class for new starters!! Explaining exactly what the diet entails, how to get the best out of it etc etc, did she talk to you about your 5% and 10% and whether to set a final goal just yet or not?

She said nothing about anything and I stayed til the bitter end and there was nothing for beginners! We never talked about my overall target and she never explained what the 5 and 10% were although I knew anyway.
Sounds like its not the norm then! Xx

I suggest you find another class and report her. Xx

Why don't you give her the benefit of the doubt?

If she does all the local classes I would imagine she's quite successful. Maybe last week was a small blip, maybe she forgot you were new or maybe you left too early?

Why not go back this week, and when she's weighing you tell her that you didn't get a new members talk and ask her why this was and if you could have it this week? X

I "did" weight watchers for years with a variety of consultants and I've never known them to not introduce new members to the rest of the class, or to not ask newbies to stay behind at the end to go through the plan with them.
Sounds like you've picked a real dud there ... I agree, find a new class and report her :)
Edited to say, if she does all the local classes, I wonder if it wasn't "her" - possibly a stand-in for that meeting because the usual consultant couldn't make it? Just a thought.

I second the go back and give her another go. Although this is not an excuse for her not welcoming you properly she might have been having a bad day, or had something on her mind.
Try another couple of weeks and if she is just as distant and not helpful perhaps report her. She might just need a kick in the ass.

what a terrible experience for your 1st visit to the class, i disagree with the advice to give her a 2nd chance, you are paying for a service which the leader clearly isnt delivering, the company would not appreciate a member of their staff treating their customers in this way, would you not consider doing ww on-line. xx

If you feel confident enough i would get in touch with her (call/text/email) and just say that you were a little disappointed that there wasn't a new starters talk, that you would like her to explain the plan, go through options, talk through 5% / 10% and goal weight - see what she says, if it doesn't improve then I would report her and consider online or just use this website, always loads of us about to help.

Thanks ladies ..... I ventured back today not least because I was curious re my weight. Tbh she was exactly the same as last time, I think she is very experienced and seems to be on "automatic pilot". However a lot of the ladies seem to like her and respond to her, I think she maybe forgets about new members ....

I wish I could be more confident and say something maybe if I continue to go I will be more able to say something.

As it is I do like the rigidity of "having" to weigh in so I bought a monthly pass and fingers crossed its onwards and downwards!

Xxx

flutter-by-us said:
Thanks ladies ..... I ventured back today not least because I was curious re my weight. Tbh she was exactly the same as last time, I think she is very experienced and seems to be on "automatic pilot". However a lot of the ladies seem to like her and respond to her, I think she maybe forgets about new members ....

I wish I could be more confident and say something maybe if I continue to go I will be more able to say something.

As it is I do like the rigidity of "having" to weigh in so I bought a monthly pass and fingers crossed its onwards and downwards!

Xxx

How about texting her saying something like "could you spare me a few mins next week to go through the new starters talk so i know im on the right track" thats polite & non confrontational whilst making it clear she needs to give you the new starters talk. You're nicer than me i wouldve confronted her by now :)

Does she give you any contact info? Mine gave her mobile number and her email address on the front of the weight booklet - but she did give a very good talk at the end of my first class so I've never had to contact her.

I wouldnt think she would be very popular if she didn't explain the plan!

I was just about to say I don't think I have any contact details for her! I guess it's like everything else there's good and bad and maybe my leader isn't the best.

I'm just so grateful for this site and all you lovelies who are so wonderful and supportive.

Xxx

I was just about to say I don't think I have any contact details for her! I guess it's like everything else there's good and bad and maybe my leader isn't the best.

I'm just so grateful for this site and all you lovelies who are so wonderful and supportive.

Xxx

No contact details at all? Oh thats really not good! Are you sure there's no other meetings nearby with a different lady?

Back