Red Day Baked Trout with Leek Sauce

Pommette

Trying - very!
Another of my favourites where the original recipe called for double cream.

But I've adapted it to be more SW friendly for a red/EE day to be just 2½ syns per serving.

It's a lovely dinner party menu that you can serve to friends without them realising you are on any sort of diet whatsoever! Fantastic.

INGREDIENTS (FOR 4)
4 whole trout (boned out)
4 table spoons of dry white white (approx 4 syns)
1 tablespoon of olive oil (6 syns)
8 oz mussels
4 large leeks, chopped into fine batons
2 tbsp Quark

TOTAL SYNS = 10, so 2½ per person

METHOD

Steamed Trout
Put a whole trout in a tin foil parcel with 4 or 5 whole cooked mussels stuffed in the middle. Add 1 tablespoon of white wine and seal the parcel so the fish steams.

Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 180c. Skin the trout when it comes out of the oven and serve with the sauce poured over.

To Make the Sauce
Make the sauce whilst the fish is baking.
Take the leeks chopped into batons and slowly sauted in the olive oil until almost a mush. Takes about 15-20 minutes of gentle cooking!

Add some cooked mussels that have each been chopped into 2 or 3 pieces, and heat through with the leeks. Put to one side if your fish isn't ready yet.

To Serve
Once the fish is out of the oven put the leek back on the warm up again. Shin the fish and then take the leek pan OFF the heat and add the 2 tablespoons of quark. Make sure you are off the heat otherwise the quark will curdle.

Put the sauce on top of the skinned trout and serve with a baked spud and some colourful veg! I love it with brocolli and carrots.

I didn't like the sound of the leeks with the trout when I first saw this recipe on a Spanish TV programme but we tried it as I love all the ingredients and it is fantastic.

If you can't eat mussels, then replace them with prawns. Still very good but it has much more oomph with the mussels.

I usually get the fish monger to bone the trout out but leave the skin on. It is easier to bake in this way. The fish, once skinned, is then far easier to eat like this.

You could try doing it with trout fillets too if you don't like bones - but I've never tried this.

I have tried using FryLight instead of the olive oils and it ruins it. The real stuff is worth the 6 syns between the 4 portions!

Last edited:
Back