BBQ ideas anyone?

Discussion in 'Weight Watchers' started by Marie_D, 20 May 2007 Social URL.

1. Marie_D

Marie_D Gold Member

Just wondering if anyone has any good ideas for bbq food?!

It's been a gorgeous day today and I've SO wanted to be sat in the garden relaxing whilst OH stands in front of the bbq, but it all seems so high in points!

Just wondered if anyone had actually had a bbq since following ww and what kinds of food you did?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Starlight

Starlight Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    Have you tried low fat burgers and sausages?

I had Tescos own LF burgers and they were lovely, cant remember who did the sausages but they were low in points too.

Some skinless chicken would work too.

4. Marie_D

Marie_D Gold Member

I do like the Tesco H/L burgers AND their sausages, but I like a real feast when I'm having a bbq, so what about side dishes?

5. Starlight

Starlight Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    Hmmm I wouldnt waste points on bread. But salad you could eat loads off. Im not sure how many points are in low fat coleslaw etc - I hate the stuff lol

6. cd121272

cd121272 Silver Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    You could make your own potato salad with low fat mayo, loads of salad maybe pasta.

That one is quite a hard one lol

7. Marie_D

Marie_D Gold Member

Mmm, I love Coleslaw, yum yum. And potato salad, and cottage cheese, and cheese, and picked onions, and pringles, and marshmallows, and kebabs, and wine, and beer...I love bbq's! Lol!

8. Starlight

Starlight Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    I LOVE cottage cheese, you could try WW cheese, got some of that unopened in the fridge, not sure how good it is lol

Im almost drooling at the thought of a good BBQ now - my macaroni cheese for dinner just isnt going to feel the same now lol

9. foodfairy

foodfairy Silver Member

Start Weight:
    12st2lb
    Current Weight:
    12st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st1lb(0.59%)
    Diet:
    none in particular
    how about bbq'd corn on the cob and veggie kebabs made from peppers, red onions and cherry toms?

10. Roch

Roch Minimins gal x

Start Weight:
    27st2lb
    Current Weight:
    25st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st0lb(7.37%)
    Diet:
    Low cal/low fat
    How about a yummy pasta salad with tuna in brine,low fat mayo and sweet peppers,sweetcorn and peas and a squirt of fresh lemon and some coarse black pepper.
    Also tesco do an amazing babecue range got quite alot of stuff from there recently things like lamb shish kebab,tuna kebabs and cod kebabs plus veg kebabs all with no extra fat and really yummy x

11. ANNTEXT

ANNTEXT Full Member

Diet:
    weight watchers (points)
    what about bird eye - garlic chicken stewers 2 for 2 points on w.w

have pitta breads -

or bird eye chicken fillets bbq or tomato is great on bbq too!

also why not treat your self too and have
    BBQ Strawberry Marshmallow Skewers

Thread 4 strawberries and 4 marshmallows onto as many wooden skewers as you like. Grill or barbecue for a few moments, turning often. Serve immediately.

POINTS value per serving: 1½

Extra tip ideas:
    melt two squares of chocolate on plate and rub skewers into it = 2pts

15g of chocolate spread and dip skewers into it =1.5pts

12. foodfairy

foodfairy Silver Member

Start Weight:
    12st2lb
    Current Weight:
    12st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st1lb(0.59%)
    Diet:
    none in particular
    omg!! that sounds delish ann, i must try that next time we have a barbie!!!

13. Marie_D

Marie_D Gold Member

I am now drooling after reading through all your great suggestions! Mmmmm

I will be referring back to this thread fow a bbq next weekend - that's assuming it's nice outside!

14. Eclipse

Eclipse Gold Member

Slice some large mushrooms and some chopped garlic put in foil parcels with a little bit of white wine (not sure of points) absolutely delish!

15. Sparkle

Sparkle Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    Sainsburys do a really nice Be Good To Yourself pot with coleslaw in one section and potato salad in the other. Works out at 1.5 points for 100g and you get quite a bit for that! Yum yum yum :p :D

16. Starlight

Starlight Gold Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    I registerered for WW ESource this morning and found this

Yes, it's true, following your food plan doesn't have to take the sizzle out of BBQing this summer. In fact, it's a great opportunity to show your friends and family just how far you've come and how perfectly you've got your food plan fitting into your life. Put on a new strappy top, waltz around with confidence and then serve up mouth watering BBQ goodies to boot!
    To Drink
    Strawberry Daiquiri
    Always a favourite and only ½ POINTS® value per serving (but if you happen to add rum, don't forget to count the POINTS values).
    500 g strawberries, (1lb 2oz), stalks removed
    300 ml diet lemonade, (1lb 2oz), stalks removed
    4 tablespoon lime(s), juice
    1 tablespoon artificial sweetener, powdered, or to taste (optional)
    1. Reserve four strawberries for decoration, then put the remainder into a blender or food processor. Blend for about 20-30 seconds.
    2. Pour the blended strawberries through a fine sieve to remove the pips. Chill.
    3. Just before serving, stir the lemonade and lime juice into the blended strawberries. Add powdered sweetener, according to taste. Pour into 4 glasses and decorate with the reserved strawberries.
    To Munch
    Spicy Chicken Drumsticks and Wings
    POINTS values and a great alternative if you're not up for a burger.
    2 tablespoon soy sauce, light
    2 tablespoon Sainsbury's Barbecue Relish, or Chinese hoisin sauce
    1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
    ½ teaspoon garlic, or onion power
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, (optional)
    150 g natural low-fat yogurt
    400 g skinless chicken drumstick, (4x 100g drumsticks)
    300 g chicken wing, (4 x 100g wings)
    Pinch salt, season to taste
    ½ teaspoon pepper, freshly ground, season to taste
    1. Mix together the soy sauce, relish or hoisin sauce, ketchup, oil, garlic or onion powder and Worcestershire sauce, if using. Add the yogurt and season to taste.
    2. Put the chicken and spicy mixture into a food bag and rub well together. Marinate for at least 10 minutes. Heat the barbecue to medium heat.
    3. Cook the chicken pieces for 15-20 minutes until tender, turning once or twice.
    Spicy Prawn Kebabs With Couscous
    This great Core Plan™ recipe adds something exotic to any BBQ occasion!
    1 teaspoon vinegar, white, distilled
    2 portion spring onions, finely chopped (use 2 bunches)
    2 portion fresh green or red chili(s), use re, seeded, minced (do not touch seeds with bare hands)
    2 tablespoon soy sauce
    2 tablespoon lime(s) juice, fresh
    1 teaspoon spices, ground allspice
    2 clove garlic, medium
    2 teaspoon artificial sweetener
    ½ teaspoon thyme
    1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
    1½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
    16 portion king prawns, peeled and deveined
    300g dried couscous
    1 can Baxters Favourites Chicken Broth, use 480 ml
    2 tablespoon parsley, fresh, minced
    1. To make marinade, combine vinegar, spring onions, chillis, soy sauce, lime juice, allspice, garlic, sweetener, thyme, cinnamon and salt in the bowl of a food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Brush both sides of prawns with marinade; set aside for 10 minutes to allow
    2. Thread 4 prawns on each of 4 metal skewers (if using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes to prevent charring).
    3. Grill skewers, turning as needed, until lightly charred and prawns are just cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
    4. Meanwhile, prepare couscous according to packet instructions, using broth instead of water; stir in parsley.
    5. Serve prawns over couscous
    Yummy Marinade
    Barbecues are a great way to cook meat, poultry and fish when you're losing weight because the fat just drips off onto the coals. And if you want to season your steak or perk up your plaice, marinades are the way to go. This one's delicious with chicken or fish:
    2 tsp olive oil
    Juice of ½ a lime
    2 tbsp orange juice
    1 tbsp water
    3 tbsp coriander
    2 medium garlic cloves, crushed
    1 tsp salt
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1 small onion
    Just purée all ingredients until smooth, pour over 4 servings of meat and let marinade for 20 minutes.
    Veg Out
    Barbecues are not all about fatty burgers and sausages! They're actually the perfect place to prepare healthy and scrumptious smoked vegetables:
    Make your own mushroom burgers – simply brush a large, open mushroom with a teaspoon of olive oil, rub it with rosemary, salt and pepper. Cook for 15 mins, turning half way through and serve just like a burger with your favourite toppings – delicious and satisfying on either food plan.
    Whether you're on the POINTS Plan or the Core Plan, a great barbecue choice is tasty veggie kebabs. Just thread a selection of vegetables on skewers – for a colourful combo try butternut squash cubes, courgette, red onion, cherry tomatoes and potato chunks.
    Corn on the cobs are delicious and made to be popped on the barbecue! Rub them lightly with low calorie spread, or for a Core Plan option marinate them in a soy sauce, chilli and ginger mixture before wrapping them tightly in foil and putting them on the BBQ.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.