Becoming a Nurse

Qua Sae

I'm not sure what it is that I need really.. Some reassurance and advice I suppose.

In 2005 I enrolled on a Mental Health Nursing course. It was all I'd hoped for... But that August I fell very ill with an eating disorder, severe depression & anxiety, which forced me to leave.

A year or so ago, I reapplied & was told that I could have a place on the course, if they were able to contact my Psychiatrist from the hospital that I was treated as an OP.

The Psych wrote an awful letter & made me out to sound awful, despite having not seen me for 4 years. I didn't go to the occy health appointment because I was so sure they wouldn't let me on the course.

Now I am feeling much better in myself & class myself as recovered but am feeling a bit lost in terms of what to do with my life.

I got a qualification in Admin while trying to figure out what I wanted & have recently been fired from the job I got in admin. I don't find it particularly interesting at all & I've always felt drawn back to nursing in mental health.

I'm so scared that I'll not get on the course (January is the last chance for the diploma & I'm not sure I can afford the degree with new fees.. Nor am I confident in my dissertation skills) & I'm scared that I'll fail!

Is anyone here a nurse or student nurse? I'd love some advice on this.

I think your best option is to go straight to the horse's mouth for advice. Make an appointment to see an admissions counsellor at the particularly institiution you would like to attend and discuss these points with them. This way you will get focussed advice based on your particular circumstances and their admission criteria - far more useful than any advice you might get here.

Good luck - I hope it works out well for you!

Back