Beef Olives Continental Style

hexe

We'll have beef olives for our Sunday lunch today and I thought people might be interested in the recipe.
The original recipe comes from my Danish nana :) but I have amended it so it's SW conform and it's only 1 Syn per portion on EE

Serves 4:

4 large and very thin lean beef steaks
onion
lean bacon
(pickled gherkin - if you like)
mustard powder
salt
pepper
passata
beef stock
gravy granules (I use Bisto)
fry light
(1 bay leave)

Cut the onion, bacon (and gherkin) into thin strips. Prepare each meat slice with mustard powder, salt and pepper.
Place the onion and bacon (and gherkin) strips on a third of the meat and roll the slice up.
I used cocktail sticks to hold it in place, but some people use material thread - whatever you are happy with.

Use a frying pan with a little fry light to brown the meat rolls off.
Now, if your pan is large enough to hold enough liquid to cover the meat with stock, leave them in there, if not, transfer the meat into a casserole dish.
Fill the pan/dish with enough beef stock and passata to cover the meat. I also put a bay leave in with it, for some extra taste.

If you use a pan, let it all boil for a few minutes, then simmer covered up for 1hr - 1.5hrs, stir occasionally .
If you use the oven, cover the casserole dish and leave in a preheated oven for about 90 minutes on 200 - 220 C, occasionally stirring the lot.

Once the meat is tender, thicken the stock/passata mix up with some gravy granules and season to taste.
Remove the cocktail sticks/material thread before serving.
Enjoy!

If you are not a fan of pickled gherkins, no problem, just leave them out. Alternatively you can fill the meat with mushrooms, bacon and onion.

We have new potatoes and spring greens with it.

Last edited:
This sounds really lovely, and not something I've come across before. Do you think it'd work in the slow cooker?
Liz
X

Not sure, as I've never tried it in a slow cooker. However, theoretically I cannot see why not :)

Back