Behind Blue Eyes

My health has been weighing on my mind for a while now. It's been deteriorating for even longer. But today I made myself a promise: I am going to turn things around.
I've been ignoring the issue for some time, hiding behind excuse after excuse. But somewhere along the line, you have to face facts, don't you? I mean, I could go on pretending, but what good will that do, when it comes down to what really matters?
At the age of 55, my morbidly obese father has osteoarthritis in both knees and can barely walk some days. He's also recently been diagnosed with severe diabetes. I don't want that for myself, I don't want to be that to be me 30 years down the line. But right now, that is what I see in my future and it scares me to death. That's my ultimate goal, to turn my life around...
I wish that I had the confidence, the conviction, the strength, the willpower, to just say "right, that's it". But right now, I feel so overwhelmed, it's like I'm stood at the bottom of a mountain and the peak of health is just so far up in the clouds that I can't even see it. All I can see is the steep climb and the loose rocks that will cause me to fall.
But I've been pacing around at the foot of this mountain for far too long. I've got to at least try. So here's the plan: take it slowly, one step at a time. I need to remember that it's ok to feel overwhelmed and scared. And yes, I am going to fall but that doesn't mean that I have to stay down. I have to get back up, dust myself off and try again. That's what I've done in every other aspect of my life, so I know that I can do it.
This will scare me. This will challenge me. This will define me.
So, let's get me to base camp.
My first few steps (goals for tomorrow):
1. Find a healthy diet - it needs to be sustainable and healthy
2. Create a meal plan for the week
3. Look at my routine and look where I can make time to cook/prepare food and to exercise

hello and welcome to the land of diaries :)

Keeping a diary on here will motivate you and you will receive lots of support and advice, we all understand and are a friendly lot!!! :)

You have a very sensible approach to it already and with the determination that you obviously have, you will succeed! as you say there will be good days and not so good days, we all get those, but the important thing is to put it down to experience and move on again the following day!

I am doing this for health reasons first and foremost, and i wish i had done it many. many years ago, i did try, every diet under the sun..but finally doing my own thing..seems to be the most successful! :)

Don't look at the bigger picture hun, it is daunting when that happens, just look at mini goals along the way as you steadily climb that mountain a few feet at a time.

Award yourself non-food treats every month or so..new shoes, new haircut, new bag, manicure etc etc.

Fight the dreaded hunger pangs by keeping your mind and hands busy around the house. Tune into diet progs on tv, they can be very encouraging!

Do you have much to lose?

Good luck, keep going, keep posting, i look forward to chatting with you..any questions or worries... just ask! :)

Thanks for your kind reply Rainbow Rose. :)

I have a lot to lose...In terms of weight and in life if I don't get myself in gear and do this!!!

I've not settled on a diet yet, per se. Today I kinda did my own thing: museli, low fat yoghurt and banana for breakfast, scrambled egg on granary toast for lunch and a jacket potato with beans and a bit of cheese for dinner.

Part of me thinks that doing my own thing might be the best way forward. I've tried all sorts of diets from WeightWatchers, Gi, Tesco diets and calorie counting and none have really clicked with me. To be fair, this is more about changing bad habits and improving my lifestyle than about losing weight. Whatever I decide, it needs to be sensible and sustainable.

On the flip side, I'm concerned that going it alone won't be effective. I'm worried about not having any "rules" to follow and losing track of where I need to be. Especially as it's going to be such a long journey...

I'm still thinking about what I need to do on this front.

In terms of exercise, I went for a walk this morning (2.4 miles). It was nice to get out actually: to get some fresh air and clear my head. I think that's going to be my preferred form of exercise, well that and the Wii Fit. And I've had a think and I'm going to set myself a goal of half an hour twice a week (on weekdays) and then a decent walk at the weekend and build up from there.

All in all, I'm feeling pretty positive today. I'm pleased that I managed to eat three relatively healthy meals and not snack on crap or binge. Right now, that's my biggest challenge: eating properly and eating well (three meals, fruit and veg, no junk, no binges).

hello

sounds like a good plan and is exactly what i am doing! 3 healthy meals, no snacking, no junk!

You are right it is a lifestyle change rather than a 'diet' and all those little changes make big differences hun :)

I had to wean myself of all my savoury treats and takeaways (my downfall) and you will be surprised how quickly it becomes habit to say 'no thanks!', especially when the weight starts to fall off.

I don't have any club or organisation to keep me motivitad or focused either lovey, but what i do have is this forum and some wonderful cyber friends, those people and this site is what has kept me on track through good days and not so good days. I look forward to weighing in every monday and posting my result and sharing it with my friends on here! The support and encouragement i receive is unbelievable and helps me more than anyone realises!

For exercise, i walk almost every day and have bought myself an exercise bike that i had to slim down' to be at an acceptable weight for!!!. I love it and am on it every single day! I also bought a zumba dvd box set, which i don't use enough, but i actually enjoy it when i do!!!!
I am too shy to join a gym, so i am happy and comfortable doing my own thing at home :)

Walking is a great form of exercise, so you are doing the right thing!

If you get a chance have a wee peek at my diary, the link is below, it is a million pages long!!!! hee hee, but if you read some of it, you will see all the ups and downs i experience and on the first page i list all the reasons why i am doing this whiole lifestyle change!

Be warned my diary is home to the crazy gang on here and lots of pages are not weight loss related at all!!!!!..but we have a great laugh and the fun keeps me motivated too!!!

When do you plan to weigh in..i weigh in on monday mornings at home. I started at over 21 stone hun and the bigger picture was daunting for me too..but here i am a year later at 17 stone and still plodding on to reach a healthy weight, it can be done..i was the original couch potato, who comfort ate for Scotland, and made excuse after excuse not to lose weight, until i decided enough is enough and 'its got to go' hee hee

have a lovely day, keep at it hun and i look forward to your next post! :)

Your head is in the right place lovey, so go for it and i'll be with you every step of the way! :)

So today has been both good and bad... But I'm running with the positives.

I started the day with a nice healthy breakfast of granary toast, yoghurt and a pear before a short walk around my local woods. Then my best friend and I decided to make the most of the gorgeous weather and went to the coast. We've done a fair bit of walking on the beach and had a nice long chat and a giggle which is always good. And although I had fish and chips for dinner I left most of the chips, stopping when I was full and I threw away half an ice cream because I'd had enough.

So yay for healthy breakfast and short woodland walks and long beach walks, boo for fish and chips and ice cream, but double-yay for not going OTT and eating too much.

Just popping by fron guru Rose's diary to say hi. The "eating better and moving more" approach seems to work well. I can't seem to stick to plans for long so am going back to this too.

Hope you have a good week. keep posting too hun. all the support here makes the long road ahead seem easier xx

Just popping in to say Hi :)

You'll get so much support and advice on here, it's a fab place to be and there's always someone around to pick you up when you're having a tough day.

I look forward to following your progress :)

Thanks Purple Roses and Blonde Gem :)

I've had a pretty good day today. Granary toast, yoghurt and a banana for breakfast, beef salad wrap and an apple for lunch and red lentil and veg soup with granary bread for dinner. Did have a small cookie at work in the afternoon, but I'm ok with that. I'm not out to deprive myself or make myself miserable! I've been to the supermarket after work and stocked up on lovely healthy stuffs - not one bit of junk. And I've had 45 minutes on the Wii Fit and burnt 300 calories.

So yeah. Pretty good day today. I'm quite pleased. I just need to keep it up now!

Back