being good, but losing slowly then gaining?

redmel

Dreamer
Hi

I am becoming frustrated now.

Having just completed week 4 on SW and gained 0.5lb, which in itself isn't a huge amount, but given that in week one I lost just under 4lb, then I only lost 0.5lb in week 2 and 1lb in week 3, I feel like this is going to take me FOREVER! This week I even resisted KFC, Indian takeaway, alcohol and a burger bar... I feel like I should have just indulged, at least then I would have deserved the gain :(

I have a food diary on here (link in sig) so I know I have been staying on plan. I also upped my water/juice intake this week...although quite naturally because it has been so hot. I am not quite on the verge of giving up, but I am starting to question if it is 'worth it'?

Any ideas please :)

Just think, no matter how slow it is coming off, it IS coming off. If you hadn't been following slimming world then it you may have gained even more rather then loosing. I'd stick at it and see how you go, our bodies are funny things and sometimes we don't loose much or even gain after good weeks and suddenly the weight comes off. Have you been having your HEX and syns?

I have an idea. Don't give up.

It is absolutely normal to have different levels of losses week on week.

Make sure you have plenty of variety in what you eat - so you don't get bored, and it also keeps your metabolism busy because it never knows what to expect.

Look at your losses month on month rather than week on week - 5lb in 4 weeks is great. It is likely that you will see more of a pattern emerge over the months to come. Lots of things can cause unexplained gain - constipation, time of the month, bit of water retention, anything like that can cause fluctuations - so don't be disheartened, there's a very big chance that next week you will see the return on your work last week, plus extra for good measure.

If you don't mind me saying, you don't exactly have 10 stone to lose, so "big" losses week on week are unlikely, but stick with it, as has been said so many times before, the weight didn't go on overnight, it will not come off overnight either.

Just keep going - it really is a great way to eat healthily, lose weight, and never feel hungry.

Thanks guys, yes I will stick with it, I suppose I could have coped with a sts, or 0.5lb loss... but a gain just feels like I am wasting my time and money.
The amount of money I have spent on yoghurts, veg and salad type stuff, that I wouldn't usually buy makes me feel like I need some kind of justification. There is no way i can maintain that level of expense every week, although I do shop around and get the super 6 at aldi etc. it still costs a lot 'extra'.

Looking at it as a monthly figure is a good idea, although still a bit disheartening, as I have lost less than 5lb this month (4lb 14oz)

Thank you for your kind words, I will try to stay on track.

Do you eat plenty of superfree? Do you drink plenty and most importantly are you eating enough in general? Sorry I havnt read your diary as I'm viewing this on my blackberry and for some daft reason it doesn't let me do links! Just says I have to close the page cos too large :( won't let me open two tabs.

Oh and what about excersise have you introduced a new excersise since you started that could be the reason?

Thanks guys, yes I will stick with it, I suppose I could have coped with a sts, or 0.5lb loss... but a gain just feels like I am wasting my time and money.
The amount of money I have spent on yoghurts, veg and salad type stuff, that I wouldn't usually buy makes me feel like I need some kind of justification. There is no way i can maintain that level of expense every week, although I do shop around and get the super 6 at aldi etc. it still costs a lot 'extra'.

Looking at it as a monthly figure is a good idea, although still a bit disheartening, as I have lost less than 5lb this month (4lb 14oz)

Thank you for your kind words, I will try to stay on track.

Got to agree with MLM, you dont have loads to lose so you're losing at pretty much a standard rate. :) 5lb in a month is over 4 stone in a year. I dont lose much more than 1lb a week these days, with some gains, some STS, but I've still lost nearly 10 stone now.

Ive just had a look at your diary and personally Id be eating quite a bit more superfree than that. Yes you are on plan but you could still make changes if you want to, but it depends what you like/don't like eating.

Also you say "he amount of money I have spent on yoghurts, veg and salad type stuff, that I wouldn't usually buy makes me feel like I need some kind of justification. There is no way i can maintain that level of expense every week". What stuff would you normally eat? You dont have to stuff yourself full of salad, expensive yoghurts and stuff (unless you want to). Most things you would normally eat can be made SW friendly and bulked out with cheap healthy stuff. Spuds, veg, tinned tomatoes, dried stuff? What are you buying thats so expensive? I do spend a bit more on SW, but its not tons when you compare it to pre-packed sandwiches, coffee shops and every other little piece of junk I would have bought previously.

Are you doing any exercise?

Do you eat plenty of superfree? Do you drink plenty and most importantly are you eating enough in general? Sorry I havnt read your diary as I'm viewing this on my blackberry and for some daft reason it doesn't let me do links! Just says I have to close the page cos too large :( won't let me open two tabs.

Oh and what about excersise have you introduced a new excersise since you started that could be the reason?

Thank you for your reply. I haven't introduced any exercise, although I do plan to, I just don't have the chance at the moment. I maybe need to try and eat more superfree?

I had a look over your food diary, and I have to say, I think given the last few weeks, 5lb is a great loss. I know you were hoping for more, but in amongst all those days you had a flexisyn day and quite a few days where you went over your syns by a few. There are lots of ways to do this cheaply - check out the bargains sticky for ideas. http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world/40089-where-bargains-anything-else-thats-useful-390.html

Thank you for looking at my diary, it is lovely to hear from an experienced sw'er :) I did go over a couple of syns on a few days yes, but I was kind of hoping it would balance out with the days I was under. I have read loads of people who use a 'weekly syn count' and still have great losses. I understand this isn't necessarily the correct way to do it though;)

I have been keeping an eye on that thread, thank you.

I think I am feeling slightly better now, I was just really upset this morning, so it is nice to hear from a few different perspectives.

Got to agree with MLM, you dont have loads to lose so you're losing at pretty much a standard rate. :) 5lb in a month is over 4 stone in a year. I dont lose much more than 1lb a week these days, with some gains, some STS, but I've still lost nearly 10 stone now.

Ive just had a look at your diary and personally Id be eating quite a bit more superfree than that. Yes you are on plan but you could still make changes if you want to, but it depends what you like/don't like eating.

Also you say "he amount of money I have spent on yoghurts, veg and salad type stuff, that I wouldn't usually buy makes me feel like I need some kind of justification. There is no way i can maintain that level of expense every week". What stuff would you normally eat? You dont have to stuff yourself full of salad, expensive yoghurts and stuff (unless you want to). Most things you would normally eat can be made SW friendly and bulked out with cheap healthy stuff. Spuds, veg, tinned tomatoes, dried stuff? What are you buying thats so expensive? I do spend a bit more on SW, but its not tons when you compare it to pre-packed sandwiches, coffee shops and every other little piece of junk I would have bought previously.

Are you doing any exercise?

It is mainly the extra fruit and yoghurts, and salad stuff that seems to be upping my shopping bill, that and the 'better quality' meat. In fact I try to mainly do green as I find it much cheaper.

I never buy any pre-packed sandwiches/coffee shop stuff etc as we simply don't have the money. I would usually buy sausages and cheap mince for meat, and a chicken. I don't normally eat the fruit as I prefer the kids to have it, same with yoghurts. But I am trying to stop snacking on the cheap crisps and biscuits, which are stupidly cheap in comparison to fruit and yoghurts.

This heat isn't helping, the last thing I want to do in this weather is cook!!

I need to sit down and get meal planning, see if I can get the cost down a bit?

Thank you for your reply :)

Thank you for looking at my diary, it is lovely to hear from an experienced sw'er :) I did go over a couple of syns on a few days yes, but I was kind of hoping it would balance out with the days I was under. I have read loads of people who use a 'weekly syn count' and still have great losses. I understand this isn't necessarily the correct way to do it though;)

I have been keeping an eye on that thread, thank you.

The weekly syn thing works for some people, and not for others. Some people can happily start at 105 or 70 and work their way backwards over the week, others need the rigidity of sticking to 10 a day. (I know they say between 5-15, but most consultants will advise 10 as a starting point - which gives you a) a bit of wriggle room if you happen to go a bit over one day and b) some leeway to cut back to if your losses stall.)

Why not, for the next month - stick absolutely rigidly to the plan 100% - avoid any flexisynning and slight overs on the syn front, stick to 10 a day, and review it in a months time - it will give you a much truer idea of how well the plan actually works for you. Once you know for sure how it is likely to go - you will be much happier with following the plan long term.

I will get meal planning tonight as I am going shopping tomorrow.

I will do my best to stick with around 10 syns per day with no flexi synning.. although I do have 2 birthday parties and a wedding coming up in June lol, typical isn't it!! I won't be drinking though as I will be driving and have the kids with me anyway,and I will take my own food to the parties and just choose wisely at the wedding :)

Thinking more on what you have said, yes I should be happy with 5lbs, and that would be 40lbs by christmas which would almost put me at target...

Thank you xx

Back