benefits advice

Discussion in 'Slimming World Off Topic' started by mjmummy, 21 January 2011 Social URL.

1. mjmummy

mjmummy Full Member

i am currently on maternity leave and have to go back to work as we need the money, i was going to work 16 hours a week and claim income support but my husband works more than 24 hours a week so cant claim, how do i find out what to claim and where to go to claim?
    does anyone know please?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. MadameLaMinx

MadameLaMinx Gold Member

4. Jennyonaplate

Jennyonaplate Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    You should be entitled to working tax credits if you have children under 16 and are working more than 16 hours - so that would be one for your husband to look at.

If you ask the Job Centre, they can do a calculation called 'Better off calculation', which looks at what you're getting now, what you're entitled to, and how it would change doing different levels of work - sometimes the difference between 1/2 hour can make the difference of a couple of hundred pounds a month.

5. Fulltum

Fulltum Silver Member

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    15st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st0lb(11.2%)
    Diet:
    Paleo/Primal
    Check out entitledto.com it will tell you about CTC, WTC and housing benefit and what you are entitled to :)

6. jaylou

jaylou Gold Member

This is sooooooooo wrong!!! :mad:
    It really is a crazy system isn't it?

Depending on what your husband earns (I'm not asking, by the way) you should be entitled to some sort of tax credits - I think if the joint income is under 48K then you get something, even if it's the £50 odd pound a month.
    I'm no expert, I only got it for a small amount of time.

7. Jennyonaplate

Jennyonaplate Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I used to work with people on benefits, and sometimes the smallest difference in hours means they can actually afford to go back to work. I always thought a more graduated system would make sense, rather than a straight cut-off for entitlements. We had people who were desperate to work, but because of the hours available, just meant they would be worse off - Bonkers system!!

8. jaylou

jaylou Gold Member

^^^ Yep, completely agree. Our whole benefits system is a crazy minefield. I'm not going to go there! Just hope OP gets sorted out :)

9. mjmummy

mjmummy Full Member

thanks, just called them they were very helpful

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.