Dave - Journey to lose 180lb from June 2018 (Target achieved in 52 weeks)

1539865451579.png

Should have helped to work the couple of lbs off!

-2.5lbs for me this week.

Got 7.5 miles into a bike ride yesterday and my back wheel buckled :( Got to take it to the shop today to probably replace some spokes and true the wheel. A week off work with the wife and kids now.

Having progressed to daily weigh in's now, something I kind of wish I hadn't started but felt the need to to push myself when things weren't changing towards the middle of the week, I have found myself losing far quicker this weekend having cut out my daily dessert of fruit and yoghurt....

Unfortunately those bike issues above are far worse than originally expected, just waiting for the quote from the shop. This is turning out to be more expensive than running a car!

-5.5lbs this week.

That gives me my 7 stone award and over 100lb lost :)

I tried on my old clothes yesterday. Ridiculous. Me and my wife fit in my old polo shirt!

I also did a 5 mile walk yesterday pushing my son. I used to do this when starting out losing weight and it was a big achievement for me, I would come home drenched in sweat! Yesterday was very different. It was a big achievement for me as not once during it did I feel in any sort of pain, break a sweat or feel like it was anything other than a general walk.

Repeating that 5 mile walk this morning as we need to go up town and we're going to walk it rather than drive as my wife is starting slimming world (although not properly!).

Have any of you had any comments from people regarding losing weight too fast and your body going into shock?

In the past couple of weeks it's been mentioned to me by 3 or 4 people. "Congratulations on losing so much weight, how long has it taken?" "5 months". "That's not good, your body will go into shock and you'll quickly put the weight back on".

I didn't know what to think of it at first so did a quick google and to be honest didn't find much on it. A lot of sites trying to sell stuff to get your bod into "shock" for a quick weight loss and a couple of sites saying 75% of people losing weight don't consume enough calories and their body goes into shock and they find themselves quickly regaining their weight and some more.

So what is the truth? I asked the slimming world consultant and they only answered with "are you eating enough, do you feel hungry, are you consuming enough calories?"

Now I know my calorie intake isn't too low. If anything it's probably too high! You know when people keep saying something in your head it becomes the truth, I'm thinking maybe this is how I'm feeling when it may be a myth? I'm not sure yet though. I'm guessing someone on here will have researched this in the past though or have some knowledge of it!

Hi Bert I think you have done fantastically well, the weight loss has been tremendous I am kind of in the opposite position of you. I have my 8th WI today on SW so far I have lost 11 lbs, I have been very disappointed in this but all I get is 1-2 lbs a week is good and healthy, "slow and steady win the race", " it is a marathon, not a sprint" either way our progress has been completely different, but we are both here embracing it and interestingly I am getting positive encouragement and you whilst not negative feedback it does not seem very helpful either, you know where you are at and what you need to do and be proud of what you have already achieved!!!

Bert, unfortunatley a lot of people just repeat what they have heard from other people or the media and they are not talking from personal experience.
Of course if you stopped the eating plan and exercise and ate loads of calorific food , then yes you'll gain weight. One thing we all have to remember is that after losing all this weight we have to be still careful what we eat and cannot go back to our old eating habits again. Weight loss does not happen by magic. We have and will have to work hard for it to stay off.
From my own personal experience because I lose the weight very slow, I can retain it longer However, each body works differently and you should continue what works best for you. You have done fantastically well and should be proud of it.

Last edited:
3lb down this week. Can't help but feel it would've been 5 if I hadn't made a mashed potato monstrosity with quark which saw me gain more overnight than when I had burger and chips a couple of months ago!!!

Long day today with fireworks and an afternoon around the castle, I think it'll end up with a takeaway tonight :( I never thought I would have mixed emotions about getting a takeaway in!

Hi Bert
It's funny the old weight loss thing! I found that sometimes I'd really gone for it all week,SP days etc etc and ended up showing a maintain.Yet other times when just about stuck to plan I had a decent loss.The trick is not to lose sight of the long term goal.:0clapper:
Important to remember that the scales typically only shows weight, not hydration levels, muscle mass etc. My own outlook on maintains when I think I've done well is that the overall trend is down and to try harder the next week. Congratulations on your weight lose by the way

Finally back on the bike after 2 weeks off because Halfords told me how bad the damage was and after 9 days hadn't even inspected the bike to order the replacement parts in which they estimated would cost around £150 to repair. I went back and got my bike and took it to an independent dealer I had recommended to me who laughed at their claims, removed the wheel, repaired it within 2 days and it set me back £44.

7 mile ride to work in 34mins this morning, took it slower than usual as the paths were a bit wet and it was cold overnight so didn't want to risk the sliding off at a bit of speed on day 1! It felt bloody amazing to be back on the saddle though (well, not the sitting on the saddle, that hurt again after 2 weeks of recovery!). Thankfully I know where to go when I need a repair or replacement next time.

It was pointed out at work today that in just a couple of months it was unsurprising how someone I had worked with for 10 years didn't recognise me! I was told to check out my facebook pic from a couple of months ago compared to one of today, so I did...

Picture2.png

Yeah, the hair makes a bit of a difference..! I had lost 2 stone when the first pic was taken.

Uch I wouldn't listen to other people. Even qualified dieticians have difference of opinions on what to eat when to eat it what's enough what isn't. Just do ur own thing and like someone else says earlier and I agree is that people that loose weight and don't keep it off is because they stop their diet and don't monitor what their eating and must clearly be eating more calories than their using. Remember tho you have been really quite active during your weight loss as well so it's not just following SW for you, you are eat it well AND exercising which is all contributing to your amazing results. Just keep doing what your doing

Hi Bert! you joined just about the time I stopped posting back in June! you have done amazingly well! My sister lost 14 stone in just over a year, she is now in the maintaining mode, actually got told 2 weeks ago she was 'underweight' not physically but she was to far under her SW target weight, she was walking on clouds.

From what I hear maintaining is the hardest part, it doesn't matter if you take 10 years to lose 10 lbs or 1 week to lose 10 lbs, if you revert back to eating like a heathen you are going to gain weight. I would guess some of the 'science' around losing losing slowly is that your brain has had more time to 'practice' eating healthy rather than if you lose quickly you haven't been eating healthy for that long so you are not as familiar with it?

SW is scientifically based and I believe that as long as you're sensible and eat until you are full, don't starve yourself, each your HEB and HEA and get a good assortment of fruit, veg and protein if the weight comes off at a l lb a week or 10 lbs a week it is healthy. I am a slow loser, I am a 1 lb or 2 lbs a week kind of girl, my sister was losing 4 to 7 lbs a week right up to her reaching goal, she was not being any less 'healthy' in her choices, in fact probably the exact opposite.

-4lb this week. Very happy with that as the week started slowly with the weight loss but seemed to increase in the past few days as I started to do a bit of upper body exercise. I often see pics on facebook saying "skipped leg week" or something along those lines with a muscley bloke with stick thin legs, well I'm the opposite! Every bit of exercise I do is leg work! I thought I need to do something about this so have started some upper body in the hope it'll help with the loose skin and also my strength for when I start playing cricket next season.

I now get people stopping me on a daily basis to ask how I've managed my weight loss, asked advice and congratulating me. It's really morale boosting!

Weekends are destroying me. I've spent pretty much the whole weekend sat in an armchair watching sport. My mental issues of being able to do anything at home when other people are around are holding me back. It doesn't help that whenever I lay on the floor to try some situps or medicine ball chest throws my son and/or daughter will see me get on the floor and take a run up and bundle me at the first opportunity and not leave me alone!

Back on the bike this morning for a 7 mile ride in at a slow pace to view the remembrance display in our town. Woken up with a sore throat and headache too, hopefully this isn't the start of the cold going around everywhere here.

Forgot to put my chili con carne in the slow cooker before I left for work too so it's sausage and chips with veg for me tonight! (slimming world chips, slimming world sausages and veg so syn free + 1syn of ketchup).

I've been reading up a bit more on a bloke who lives around the corner from me and his slimming world journey, https://www.instagram.com/towers_weightjourney/?hl=en

He advertises some seasonings on there which I'm very tempted to buy. Anyone ever tried JD Seasonings?

Bert I am not sure how old your youngsters are but could you rope them in to go for a walk with you at the weekends maybe? Would you be able to do your sit ups say in your bedroom (I am assuming you were doing them in the sitting room)?

Bert I am not sure how old your youngsters are but could you rope them in to go for a walk with you at the weekends maybe? Would you be able to do your sit ups say in your bedroom (I am assuming you were doing them in the sitting room)?

1 & 3.

I won't go into too much detail but taking them out for a walk isn't an option unless all of us are able to go and I couldn't really go upstairs and do the workout as my wife was in and out the house so the kids would've been alone downstairs.

I'm my own worst enemy here though. Mental issues where I don't like doing things whilst other people are around. I don't know why I'm like it, need to sort myself out!

I was just about to order some digital scales with muscle mass but I've decided against it as I forgot it's black friday week next week, hopefully I'll get it with a nice discount.

5lb off this week with and 8 stone gone :)

The scales actually showing 18st 13lb 3/4. I've stuck by the half pound method and rounded up on my weigh in and on here but it was lovely to see the 18 on the scales!

Back