Dave - Journey to lose 180lb from June 2018 (Target achieved in 52 weeks)

Well chuffed this morning!

5lb off this week which takes me to 10 stone 1lb off in total :)

The 70miles on the bike, 2 hours of table tennis, 80k+ steps and 100% to plan on the food have paid off this week.

Now a week working abroad where I can't eat what I want, lost all my usual exercise options and have rubbish nights sleep!

Great result there. :)

Just choose wisely. You don't have to finish everything that is on your plate.:classic_wink:

Where are you going?

Middle of nowhere in southern Czech Republic. When I used to go there the choice was chicken nuggets and chips or some dodgy local dish. I won't have any local currency so it'll be the hotel food or nothing and it'll be with two colleagues.

I have just found a supermarket on google maps not far away so I could give that a go if it's open after work hours. Every time I've walked that area everything has been closed!

I just really dislike travelling. Not being in control of your food and not seeing family and the big hassle of travelling.

Slimming World + Czech Republic = Non compatible!

So I've had a shocking start.

Airport, look for what I can have for lunch from the shop, nothing really looking like my usual. Chicken and Sweetcorn salad, packet of crisps and a couple of eat-natural bars picked up, one for lunch one for the room at the hotel.

Hotel restaurant for dinner. Choice of burger or chicken in buttermilk. I was told the burger is effectively steak so it should be ok for me so I went for that with a side of veg. The burger was ok, the wedges and veg were coated in oil though and some garlic dressing. Obviously not going to be great on SW. Checked my app later on the lunch stuff, the salad is going to be anywhere between 0.5-6 syns, it's not on the app, the eat natural bars though, 11-15 syns each!

So I've come to realisation this week is going to be a failure regardless. I don't have the options I do in the UK, I'm very much limited to a hotel restaurant which is greasing everything up and a supermarket which sells chocolate, crisps and the odd pear!

I've been for a walk out but I've got to be honest, it's not the greatest out here!

6am walk:

51143377_10155682515260916_1116987849703424000_n.jpg

The snow isn't too bad this morning! Coming off the plane though, this was pretty bad...

51346006_10155682515870916_5432808006494453760_n.jpg

-9c is the forecast tomorrow. I'll try and get some walking in this evening to work off the crap I'm eating but if I manage to put on less than 3lb I'll be happy this week!

Bert well done. You are doing great.
I am sure you make right choices. The only thing is that it will be cold and you need hot food. Perhaps big bowl of soup a couple of times.

Looking at the menu out here I'm not sure they've heard of soup! Meat, meat and more meat with the side option of chips, coleslaw or greased up veg!

Returned home from Czech with some cold/cough combination.

On the positive, I only gained 1.5lb during the week of eating some poor choices! Stupidly I let these run into the weekend and had a couple of things I wouldn't usually eat at home and snacked a bit.

Back on the bike tomorrow, I was debating not going due to the cough so it'll be a bit more difficult cycling but my brother in law is going on his first cycle to work so I feel the need to! I also need to get back into the exercise to help shed a few more lbs.

It's very hard to say no to the cough syrup or soothers!

-4lbs this week.

It didn't quite all go to plan! I cycled to work on the Monday and from there the whole family was hit with colds/coughs and other illness meaning childcare wasn't available so I ended up spending the week working from home getting little to no exercise. Fortunately I had cricket practice on Wednesday which completely took it out of me and I'm struggling still now. I know what I need to work on for next time now though, shoulders and squats apparently!

I noticed slimming world posting a face to face friday thing so I thought I'd get involved.

Picture1.png

Under 3 stone to my original target now, I'm thinking I need to lower that target by at least 1 stone but we'll see when we get to that stage.

Wow what a difference in the photos!! That's fantastic - sorry about your bike, that's rubbish.

New bike bought on Saturday, a small downgrade on my previous bike but after a few days on it it's clear the downgrade is pretty insignificant and possibly helping me out a bit! It's a bit harder work on the bike than the other one, possibly due to the size of the wheels. The new bike has smaller wheels and feels harder work to get going and slower. On the positives from that, it's pushing me harder. It's also considerably better in corners and the brakes work much better than the previous bike. I feel a lot safer on this bike than I ever did on the other one.

34 miles commuting so far this week and couple of lbs off already.

The only problem I have now is I think my lack of warm up or warm down at cricket has seen me pull a muscle in my arse. This is a new sports injury for me, something I was unaware was a possibility. Due to this and still not shifting my cough I have yet to start couch to 5k but I do plan on doing this soon.

One last thing for anyone reading. My upper body strength and workouts are poor. Dumbells and kettlebells piss the wife off as the kids think they're toys! Any suggestions on some equipment which could be good to buy? I was thinking a rowing machine and aiming for 1k per evening to start with and maybe progressing but I'm not sure if that's going to give me the results I want or if the home machines are worth the money you pay for them. (I was tempted with this one https://www.costco.co.uk/Sports-Spa...owers/Pure-Design-VR1-Rowing-Machine/p/279824)

Cheers!

I’m looking to get a rowing machine, one of those that has a small foot print so that it doesn’t take up too much room. They say it gives one of the best all round workouts, i do have a treadmill upstairs but find it boring.

Yeah the all round workout is the reason I was tempted with one.

How-to-do-workout-on-Rowing-machine.gif

My issue is every piece of home gym equipment I've ever bought has turned out to be crap. So it's a gamble on paying a bit more than I would usually pay in the hope that it is decent but it could still turn out to be expensive crap!

I was using an over door suspension straps to work my upper body and it's easier to to do sit ups and leg exercises with it.

Lots of garages and sheds being broken into here so we have had cctv installed so I can keep an eye on our garage and house from inside and when we are away. Someone did come into our garden and stole our mobile cctv which was only strapped to the downpipe.

Hi Bert I have been reading some of your posts-will try to get through your whole journey so far.
Just wanted to say - absolutely amazing!! How you have turned your fitness around so quickly is incredible!! Very inspiring, especially to those of us just starting out

Well, what a crap week.

Working away from home for the week which involved an 8 hour drive Monday and Friday. Like a twat on both occasions I decided to not prepare and instead eat those protein bars from service stations which are around 8 syns each I think!

Monday I thought I have to do something to help myself so started couch to 5k.. I overdid it by not following it properly. I strained my quads pretty badly I found out when I went to do run 2 and couldn't physically run without crying!

4 nights in a hotel eating close to being on plan. Friday drive home and did the same with the protein bars, they seemed a relatively healthy option despite not being slimming world friendly. Then it went to **** properly. I bought my wife pizza hut and couldn't help myself. I ate my dinner then I had a few slices of pizza, some wedges and some chicken. I effectively had two dinners there.

So yeah, no cycling to work for a week, no cricket practice, no football, 2 busted legs, eating like crap the night before weigh in, no surprises to see me put on 3lb.

Back on it again now though.

That pizza was soo good though!

Back