Dave - Journey to lose 180lb from June 2018 (Target achieved in 52 weeks)

Hi, Bert. You are an inspiration. I see you are looking at bikes. What are you getting?

I've seen some research that shows ebikes are good for weight loss, as you have the electric boost and take more exercise. My nephew works at Evans and says road ebikes are great - the ebike mountain bikes are good too.

I'm thinking about getting one of these: https://www.kalkhoff-bikes.com/en/bikes/2018/e-bikes/e-city/agattu-xxl-i8.html which are good for heavy weights. However, I am waiting until I know where I'll be living longer term as I do have a push bike - I haven't used it much in this heat. Ebiking weight loss blog post: http://www.prettydamnedfast.com/blog/raleigh-ebike

Edited to add big bikes blog post - lots of comments below the article on different models - so although dated useful: https://electricbikereview.com/forum/threads/the-best-electric-bikes-for-large-people.22763/

Last edited:
Hi Bert! I'm brand new to this website (joined today!) but saw your post and just wanted to say massive well done on your journey so far, that's an incredible result in a short space of time. I thought I'd try and answer some of the questions you had throughout your posts, that I didn't see anyone answer :p

Flexible syns:
Our consultant explained this in group, Saturday just gone so I feel fairly confident here! Basically... stick to your allowance every single day, even if you go over. For example, Mon - Weds you are 100% on plan but Thurs you go over your syns.. whether it be by 10 or 50. When you wake up the next day, shut the door on the previous day and carry on using your scheduled syns allowance etc. Don't try to reduce your syns to compensate, or you won't be food optimising on those days.

Btw, I was also given a 20 syn allowance (more than the max 15) i'm guessing because of my weight.

Iceland ready meals:
I've tried a few and genuinely enjoyed all of them! The chow mein, vegetable biryani, the curries (although they're slightly watery/thin sauce). Yes eating fresh is best but these meals are just a convenience to keep you from straying, they usually suggest you add veg as there's not always much speed in the meal itself. I've never tried the curry sauce but I hear the gravy is lovely!

If you want to make a nice "chip shop" curry type of sauce, I'd 1000000% recommend one by "Mayflower", you can usually buy this from B&M, poundland etc and it tastes like the real deal - it's not free but it's very low syn. It's a powder that you thicken in a pan with water, or you can buy the paste.

Anyways I'm gonna keep looking out for your posts - keep writing them even if no one replies, your progress will probably spur others on. They definitely inspired me!

:)

Thank you and good luck with yours!

Good timing with the reply, I had my first Iceland delivery yesterday!

Mexican Style Beef Quarter Pounders
4 Pork Skewers
Spicy Tikka Masala Sauce
Beef and Pork Meatballs
Beef Quarter Pounders
Pork Sausages
Chicken Saag
Sweet Potato Curry
Beef Chana Saag
Mediterranean Chicken Risotto
Beef and Three Bean Chili Con Carne
Smoky Bean Quarter Pounders
Mexican Chicken
4 x free packs of frozen raspberries with this.

I tried one of the mexican quarter pounders last night and it was lovely. I might have one of the meals tonight with some veg like you said. Long day at work today so not much time to prepare anything later.

I'll have a look for the mayflower curry sauce next time I go to B&M. The longer I've been sticking to plan the more I've been using the low syned items for meals so a low syn sauce is good for me! I found myself saving syns up regularly and ending the day using 0-5 syns most days so I'm using them a bit more frequently now and the weight is coming off more than it was when I was using less syns so I'm happy to carry on like this!

I've spoken to a few people regarding the flexi syns and no one has replied like yours with the shut the door on it and carry on the next day as normal. That sounds like the perfect method to me though, I'll have to go by that rule after the wedding I'm going to tomorrow!

Hi, Bert. You are an inspiration. I see you are looking at bikes. What are you getting?

I've seen some research that shows ebikes are good for weight loss, as you have the electric boost and take more exercise. My nephew works at Evans and says road ebikes are great - the ebike mountain bikes are good too.

I'm thinking about getting one of these: https://www.kalkhoff-bikes.com/en/bikes/2018/e-bikes/e-city/agattu-xxl-i8.html which are good for heavy weights. However, I am waiting until I know where I'll be living longer term as I do have a push bike - I haven't used it much in this heat. Ebiking weight loss blog post: http://www.prettydamnedfast.com/blog/raleigh-ebike

Edited to add big bikes blog post - lots of comments below the article on different models - so although dated useful: https://electricbikereview.com/forum/threads/the-best-electric-bikes-for-large-people.22763/

Thanks Ali.

I ended up getting this.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Wilier-503...MI8v63283a3AIV17jACh0tDQ2yEAAYASAAEgK_5_D_BwE

I was going to get a Voodoo Bizango from halfords which was highly recommended but my work certificate arrived the day after the offer on the bike ended and it went up by £150ish. A friend who rides daily recommended the one I bought for the specs.

I was tempted with an ebike. My main concern with it was my stupidity and not charging it up when I was going to use it the next day or going somewhere and not being able to charge it! They were also a bit out of my price range for a lot of the models.

My aim is to start commuting using it very soon and hopefully make that a daily commute to help lose the weight then in 12 months time when my scheme can be renewed go for a road bike. It might be a slow commute to start with whilst playing a phone game which requires me to stop a few times!

I found an XXL on a second hand site. It still had plenty of battery life - but I decided to wait until I have the next stage of my life sorted out (including where I am going to live).

I loved cycling to work in the 80s in London. Really de-stressing ride home. I rarely got wet. Later, there were no showers where I worked when I was back in London. So then I just ran errands, and gradually became too unfit to go far. I was amazed last time I was in London to see how many people bike to work now. Hordes of them!

I went on my sit up & beg bike today - just to the end of our track and back. Got sweaty - even though I didn't intend to - so hot already. It was a couple of hundred from our local independent bike store 10 years ago. I usually do the track with my dog - using a Trixie bike lead that attaches to the seat pole. He just loves it. He's only a terrier - but runs as fast as I can bike! It's been so hot I haven't taken him for 6 weeks.

Good luck with the commuting.

5lb off this week.

Very happy as I've had a very lazy week in all honesty.

Saturday evening wedding. 2 pints of diet coke. Tuesday slimming world ready meal. Wednesday all day wedding which included half a pint of orange juice (instead of a beer, prosecco or bucks fizz!), 4 pints of diet coke (it feels so wrong on a diet despite it being 0 syns), tomato and basil soup, chicken in champagne sauce with roast potato and a bit of veg followed by eton mess, cheesecake and sorbet. I avoided the sausage and bacon baps for the evening buffet and had 5 spiced wedges instead, probably packed full of syns!

My bike did arrive on Thurs and I managed to get out on it in the rain yesterday. 8.2 miles in an hour and it felt amazing. Came home and my wife laughed at my drenched state and asked if my legs were ok. Absolutely fine. I then went to go upstairs for a bath and realised my legs didn't work on the stairs :D My arse hurts a lot this morning too! Next week will begin the cycle to work.

9.5 miles ridden on the bike yesterday, an absolute dream to ride compared to my old bike!

I've now fully convinced myself I can do the commute to and from work. I did however decide to walk my son around the park to get him to sleep today and clocked up 3 miles, unfortunately my trainers were smaller than I thought and I've ended up with blisters on both heels. The cycle to work tomorrow is going to be a bit more painful than I wanted I think!

Not going to lie, this hurt more than I thought it would!

1534144825987.png

Possibly because of this...

1534144856982.png

The slightly under 5 mile mark annoyed me on my first ride so I took two different routes, one home yesterday and one in today to hit the 5 mile mark and got a bit quicker in doing so. I still want to keep stopping for Pokemon though, I need to stop that :D

1534231438985.png

What's the bet this week is my least losing week since I started?!

I like the way you've gone for 5 miles! What tracking programme do you use. Bert?

I like the way you've gone for 5 miles! What tracking programme do you use. Bert?

I'm using Strava. It seems the most accurate I've used.

What is pretty annoying is it doesn't quite work with fitbit. My almost 10 miles yesterday and 30mins of table tennis = 9400 steps so I'm still finding myself trying to hit the 10k steps despite what feels like more exercise being done.

I'm going to aim for the same route for the rest of the week until Friday where I'm hopefully going to still be able to walk and take a longer route home. I just need to work out what looks good for me preferably on cycle paths.

Noooo! Did you forget that you're supposed to catch them all?!? :p

I feel like I'm in the minority who still logs on to play it 2 years after it was released! It used to be the motivation to get me out walking! I thought getting the bike I could play the game and hit a load of places and do stuff but now with Strava I just want to beat my times on stretches of road so don't want to stop!

Week 1 of cycling. 72 miles on the bike which has ended in me spectacularly coming off on the wet cycle path and ending up in A&E! A hematoma to my thigh which is bloody huge. Currently no worry but if it gets bigger or stiffer then potentially surgery but they don't think this will be the case. Currently struggling to walk, hopefully the pain goes soon so I can do some kind of exercise to help the weight loss. Dreading my weigh in tomorrow now!

Oh no Bert that's awful! Hope you're alright aside from the hematoma!
Fingers crossed the scales don't suffer too much, I'm sure your hard work before the accident will show.

A gym instructor guy years ago said to me weight loss is 80% nutrition, good luck tomorrow :stickdance:

I didn't realise but I must've landed badly on my shoulder too. As a result I now can hardly walk and my right arm is in agony!

To make it worse I've lost the least in a week since I started 11 weeks ago which makes me feel I'm doing something wrong. I had more potato this week than I had in previous weeks so time to cut that down.

I didn't realise but I must've landed badly on my shoulder too. As a result I now can hardly walk and my right arm is in agony!

To make it worse I've lost the least in a week since I started 11 weeks ago which makes me feel I'm doing something wrong. I had more potato this week than I had in previous weeks so time to cut that down.
Sorry to hear about your fall. Hope you are on the mend now.
Increasing exercise results in a muscle build up and initially shows a slow weight loss but once your body gets used to it, the weight will come off again.
You have done fantastically well on the weight loss journey.
Have a great weekend and hope you feel better soon.

Back