Dave - Journey to lose 180lb from June 2018 (Target achieved in 52 weeks)

Brilliant, Bert. You"ve been on it while I was mucking around. Inspirational.

I'm back again, and a bit heavier :oops:

So, in the time I've been away from the forum I have ended my SW membership as I'm still not ready to join my local group and weigh in where it's free as a target member.

I had 2 weeks off with the kids in the summer which saw me going glamping and various days out where eating was very much we will eat what the place offers rather than sticking to plan. My wife told me I deserve to let myself go a bit as I was very strict on everything I was eating.

I also went on a stag do and drank for the first time in over 6 months. This has seen me drink on quite a few occasions since (mostly social with a couple of evenings at home alone, that's ended!).

As a result of this and some binge eating I have put on approx 2 stone.

I have one more planned outing this year where I expect to get heavily intoxicated and eat a lot of curry and/or pizza as we have saved up almost £1k throughout the cricket season to have the end of season do on this.

I have also changed ISP and unlike Virgin, Sky engineers weren't as accommodating in setting up equipment where it was required so I am in the process of moving the router to where I need it with some cables and that should get my bike back online so I can do some proper training again. I've been very lazy for nearly 2 months in regards to the cycling. I went from approx 100 miles a week to almost stopping completely and I can't tell you how much it has affected me! Soo sluggish and feel constantly bloated.

The aim now is to shed that 2 stone I've put on mainly through cycling and then try and get myself into some sort of upper body strength training so when I start the next cricket season I'm stronger. My fitness this season has been great due to all the cycling until I let myself go a bit! I feel I could be considerably better though with some better fitness regimes.

Last edited:
Good luck with your new journey Bert.
I don't really like paying that £5 each week however I must be weighed by somebody other than me.
Enjoy what you have planned the get back on it🙏

You're back on it Bert, all praise for that. Just a thought, is it worth when you get to about 7lbs left to lose, just bite the bullet and join a group for the last 7lbs back to target, then you only need to go once every 8 weeks or so (for free) to retain your access online etc? I only go now when I have to to keep my access to online stuff, and just to keep my weight in target.

Bert! Welcome back! Good to have you back.

Wow....you lost a whole person....well done o_O

Well, today I've added a new smily to the signature...

:targetgif:

In just over a yea I have hit my original target of losing 13st 1lb and hitting the 14st mark.

It felt great to see the 13st on the scales. I would like to try and hit 13st 7lb to be in the healthy range of BMI and also half my original weight but I'm now starting to see the struggles of weight loss a bit and also have been told by a few people I should probably stop. My issue area is now my gut which I'm not sure if it's fat or a mixture of loose skin and fat. I'm thinking I really need to change my exercise plan and to start incorporating the abdominal exercises to try and concentrate on the area. I'm not convinced it's going to help too much but what I do know is whenever I've been losing weight the areas it's showing most on are my face, forearms and shins, if I lost much more weight on these areas I think I'd be verging on looking ill.

Onto some more positives. Saturday my parents are renewing their vows. It's the first time I've seen most of my relatives for well over a year and for most I was at or over 27 stone when I saw them last. Most (I'm not sure all) know about my weight loss and have seen pictures but it's a bit different to seeing it! I have people I work with who have been blanking me at work as they don't recognise me, I'm looking forward to seeing people for the first time since losing the weight! I've also got a bloody nice suit to wear, the last suit I wore me and my wife both fit in together now with plenty of space still free and I couldn't do the buttons up on that because I was too big for it!

Congratulations to your parents for the opportunity to renew their vows.

Back again :rolleyes:

So I did return slightly when I posted last time and had some intention which I never stuck to and continued to be half arsed on plan.

I managed to gain 4 stone from Aug-Dec :eek:

Now, I wasn't THAT bad in that time. It got me thinking recently, other than the obvious alcohol and odd takeaway and snacks what else had I changed to put on that much weight in that period of time. Well, here it is....

My daughter started school in September and due to issues with getting her to and from school I ended up working from home and doing the school runs at 0815 and 1445. Due to doing this I struggled to find time during the day to do any exercise as I needed to make up time and lost my lunch hour to work.

The thing is, I had pretty much stuck to plan during this period so I didn't expect to put on the weight like I did so put it down to the cheat days i frequently had.

Roll on Jan 1st and we've sorted out some help with the school runs so now I'm back in the office 5 days a week. 6 weeks in and I've had 4 weeks of losses, 1 week gain and 1 week maintaining. The 1 week gain I worked away from home and lived on supermarket crap and couldn't resist the high syned Eat Natural bars as I always tend to do when working away because I'm a twat. The maintain week I worked from home 2 days that week.

This got me thinking some more, why am I maintaining when fully on plan and getting 3-5 hours of cycling in plus a couple of days of weights (oh yeah, I bought a weight bench!). So I decided to venture to My Fitness Pal and track a few days of my calories. I hate this, I don't have time to weigh out food then track food, it does me in, that's why I went to SW. Well, it turns out my on plan Slimming World daily calorie intake is approx 2500 calories :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

So yeah, it's now a realisation of why I'm struggling to shift this extra weight I've put on (well, I've removed 1st 3lb in 6 weeks but with the 2 non-loss weeks it could've been more...). I now need to have a think about what I'm eating what might be on plan on days where I'm not getting as much exercise as I could be. If I'm not cycling to and from work and getting the hour of cycling in a day I need to remove 500 calories of my daily hit - this is pretty much my dessert every night so this is easily done! I do however need to try and do this without feeling hungry so maybe a few extra filling veg options and take out some non-filling high calorie hitters such as sweetcorn. According to TDEE 3100 calories would be maintaining weight with the exercise I'm doing so I'm around the right area, I just need to make sure I am doing that daily exercise to lose the weight now.

I mentioned the weight bench above. I've always struggled with gaining muscle due to boredom with weights etc. My parents bought me a barbell set for xmas and my wife got me a smaller one for preacher curls so I got myself a bench for the garage. I try and do 1-2 sessions a week of bench pressing and 2-3 for preacher curls. I'm steadily feeling stronger in the hope it improves my sport. It's also got me trying out more exercises in the house so I'm trying to get daily core exercises in too. I've realised when I was attempted planks a few months ago I was doing it badly wrong, I could do it for 10 mins and was wondering what the deal with them was! It turns out they're not easy!

Anyway, hope you're all doing well, waffled on a bit here about bollocks but I guess when you're on SW you don't really drill into your food much and just take things as free and points. If you're struggling it might be worth giving it a look to see how much you're taking in.

Hi Bert

Interestingly I downloaded my fitness pal last week. Although I’m trying to follow SW I was curious about calorie intake and I also was curious about fibre in my diet as well as the macros. I am finding it fascinating. Most days are coming out between 1300 and 1700 calories (I have been very careful with my free foods particularly carbohydrates). My fibre is very variable. My iron is low most days as is my calcium. I use both HEA allowances and have either cottage cheese or yogurt most days so I am going to be sure I take supplements. I am quite enjoying logging foods on there and I’ve added a few recipes and meals so it’s very quick to add these in future. Not sure how long I’ll use it. I’m not working at the minute so I have plenty of time for planning and preparing food as well as weighing and logging it. Doubt I’ll be able to keep that up when I get another job!

Hi Bert

Interestingly I downloaded my fitness pal last week. Although I’m trying to follow SW I was curious about calorie intake and I also was curious about fibre in my diet as well as the macros. I am finding it fascinating. Most days are coming out between 1300 and 1700 calories (I have been very careful with my free foods particularly carbohydrates). My fibre is very variable. My iron is low most days as is my calcium. I use both HEA allowances and have either cottage cheese or yogurt most days so I am going to be sure I take supplements. I am quite enjoying logging foods on there and I’ve added a few recipes and meals so it’s very quick to add these in future. Not sure how long I’ll use it. I’m not working at the minute so I have plenty of time for planning and preparing food as well as weighing and logging it. Doubt I’ll be able to keep that up when I get another job!

Yeah. that's my problem with it. Having a job I get up at 0545, chuck some fruit and yoghurt in a bowl and make a coffee and get on my bike for 0630 to cycle in to work. Cycle home from work for lunch and don't really have the time to weigh stuff out as I've spent 30mins cycling and will shortly be spending a further 30mins walking to and from picking my daughter up from school so that is effectively my lunch break done. When we then get home I try and get a dinner prepared as quickly as possible as I need to continue working! Wife then gets home and usually the kids have either started or are ready to start dinner and it's the chat about the day and getting the kids finishing their food, having their dessert and getting them ready for bed. Then repeat!

2lbs off this week after being more cautious with my free food thanks to my fitness pal highlighting a few things!

So that's 2 months done.

1st 7.9lbs down so far.

More significantly for me is I've gone from 2XL tops to L in this time. I'm not where I want to be but I've done a fair bit of weights so whilst my weight isn't as low as it probably could've been I'm feeling happier that I'm fitting into some smaller clothes again.

Most days I've been hitting close to 15k steps.

Despite a couple of weeks working away from home and being unable to use the bike I've cycled 499 miles so far this year.

Also, with the weight training and particularly the core exercises I've been doing, I appear to be improving in my ability at cricket and feeling a lot stronger.

Ideally I'd like to lose another 3 stone but I'm still going by how I feel rather than the scales too much and I'm slowly coming off Slimming World and adopting more of a Calories In Calories Out approach to dieting but using the core SW diet plan in this so I will be sticking with most things I currently eat but I might add the odd thing in which feels like it's forbidden on SW! My next steps are to look into the slimming world sausages and burgers and compare them to other brands and try and work out the closest alternative which would allow me to eat meat again rather than the plastic like taste of these! I may start making home made burgers instead.

I've just done my measurements as in Jan I decided weight not being the key issue and I'd like to see how my measurements change.

Over two months I've lost 14cm off the gut, 8cm off the hips and 7cm off the moobs.

So the measurements have seen me back into the clothing I was wearing when I was 2st 7lbs lighter than I am now which is making me wonder if muscle mass has increased on last year and it will be much more of a struggle to get the weight down. Or, hopefully, the area where I am desperately in need of losing being my gut starts to see some improvement. I often get told I don't need to lose any more weight etc. It's not until you take the clothes off the full extent of your body and what needs to be worked on is visible is it.

Another thing which has slightly helped me, I'm not sure my wife is a big fan but here we go anyway! My 5yr old daughter wants to exercise with me and do my slam ball exercises in the evening where I just do some russian twists and chest throws from a laying down position with a 10kg ball. Obviously my daughter can't use this ball, it's far too heavy, so I bought her a 2kg one! My wife isn't too pleased. 1, it's a waste of money, 2 why have you got a 5 year old doing core exercises! Anyway, she loves it and it gets me doing it every evening as she wants to exercise with daddy! I try to finish it off with 50 sit ups but I'm there crying from 30 to 50 and my daughter is just doing sit ups like they're nothing! My 2yr old son usually joins in at the sit up stage and screws me over as he can't get close to doing it and I just end up laughing too much I can't do mine!

Not posted in a while, the forum seems VERY quiet!

Since my last post I've lost a further 10lbs or so.

I made one big mistake in going for a cycle as my one form of outdoor exercise. Why has the country decided to take up walking/running/cycling a soon as we've hit a bloody lockdown? I have honestly never seen so many people in my local park!

I have stuck to the indoor cycling from now on. 99 miles done this week (frustrating! I'll be getting on the bike later today to hit that 100mile mark and hopefully a further 20 on top of that.). Every morning I've done the Joe Wicks PE with my kids. Every evening I've done the medicine ball exercises with the kids too.

My next frustration though is food. We have no issue getting our food delivered currently as when I saw what was happening in Italy I booked future delivery slots. What I do have a problem with is getting my regular food! Particularly frozen fruit and lazy chilli which I eat a lot of! The tesco limit of 80 items per basket means I'll soon be stopping/running out of cereal bars which I snack on.

I didn't know until this week we had so many dog walkers,cyclists and joggers living near me. My son who lives in Devon said the same. He goes out walking and jogging a lot and not seen so many. Don't know if it's because everyone is home so they are going out during the day instead of early morning or late at night.

I have had catering delivery this week. Lovely home cooked food but it's bigger portion sizes than I usually cook for myself. I haven't been able to leave any.:rolleyes: Need to get organised and go back to cooking for myself. Exercising has been a big fat zero.:(

I didn't know until this week we had so many dog walkers,cyclists and joggers living near me. My son who lives in Devon said the same. He goes out walking and jogging a lot and not seen so many. Don't know if it's because everyone is home so they are going out during the day instead of early morning or late at night.

I have had catering delivery this week. Lovely home cooked food but it's bigger portion sizes than I usually cook for myself. I haven't been able to leave any.:rolleyes: Need to get organised and go back to cooking for myself. Exercising has been a big fat zero.:(

I did a strava fly by which shows people who were out recording their exercise at the same time as me. I commute daily so use the same route and my usual commute flyby sees probably an average of 1-2 other people. My ride on Tuesday has 9 people going through it! That doesn't include all of the extra dog walkers etc that were going around. I live on a cul-de-sac section of road too and we see no one outside our front room window other than my neighbours who go for 3 walks a day. The past week we have seen pretty much everyone who lives down there walk past!

My struggle has been with the kids home all day I'm finding myself struggling to stay away from their treats! Last night I had a mini pig out as we had a takeaway due to our local closing down for a while. I pushed myself on the bike doing 28 miles in 90 mins including a big climb at the end which hurt a lot to compensate for it.

The motivation to do these HIIT workouts in the front room is not there. It's not so bad when no one is around but when my wife is sat on the sofa eating a pack of custard creams with a cup of hot chocolate laughing at me trying to do a plank with my son crawling under me and my daughter jumping on my back it's becoming far more of a chore than it should be!

Are there any meals you can split out and freeze? I have stocked my freezer up with food I can cook when the apocalypse sets in. Now delivery slots are being set aside for the vulnerable and old (rightly so by the way), I'm no longer able to get my shopping delivered here. I have 2 more slots I booked a few weeks ago as we always tended to book ours in advance to get our early slot so we are probably going to have to shop wisely with some frozen goods. If we can get a local farm shop/butcher to deliver weekly which some are currently offering we should be ok.

These are horrible times though aren't they. We're facetiming relatives most days to keep in touch but not seeing them is mentally destroying my wife and to some extent my kids. I'd guess it's really hurting them as well not seeing their grandchildren.

Take care!

I've read this thread twice now. It inspires me and really makes me believe that I can do this. There may be setbacks and small losses but I will come back and read this!
I'm only a week in to SW for the second time, I last had sucess with CC but I wasn't getting the balance right so I've decided to give SW a bash again, my body could sure do without the fat and sugar! So I will be back frequently to check what you did! Thanks for this Bert and well done! :)

Ups and downs for me the past few weeks.

Firstly on the eating, it's been good apart from 2 bad days which have seen me do what I did a few times in the past where I mentally lose it and carry on eating junk as the day has been a write off already, I need to lose this mindset!

On to the exercise. I've carried on the cycling, HIIT and medicine ball stuff until last week when I managed to tweak something in my back which saw me stop all except cycling. The past two days I've managed to resume the medicine ball work thankfully.

The cycling has really come on though. I've cycled nearly 1100km in the past 3 weeks 5 days including peaking today at 107km/67miles.

I'm feeling much stronger than I've ever felt despite the weight not budging and me being nearly 2 stone heavier than the lightest I've hit in the past 2 years. I'm also in the same clothing I was when I was 2 stone lighter. The belly fat is still a bit of an issue but it's getting there. It's not too noticeable in clothes but as we all know too well, it's what we see in ourselves which eats away at us!

Back