Dave - Journey to lose 180lb from June 2018 (Target achieved in 52 weeks)

Going for a walk around town with the kids this morning. It's a struggle walking around the house at the moment!

39514847_672085776503655_4143367581950017536_n.jpg

I finally got back out on the bike today. 11.75 miles in 1hr 20mins, taking it relatively easy and seeing how my leg, shoulder and bike were! My leg was ok until the final mile when I got off the bike to look at my crash sit for a small bit of plastic to fix my brake, unfortunately they've had a road sweeper down the path and the area has been cleared. When I got back on the bike my thigh didn't want to move again!

My shoulder was ok riding but it can't be stretched upwards or sideways too well.. I have looked online and apparently this could be the long term injury of the two and I will need to keep stretching it and working on it to get it back to normal, which I need as one of my goals from this weight loss is to return to playing cricket at the level I used to play.

The bike feels a bit different, not sure what to be honest. I'm going to pay to have it fully serviced with the brake fixed soon and then return to riding it but on a slower basis and not try to beat my record times on strava like I was!

2 weeks off work so I went swimming for the first time since my honeymoon 2 years ago and for the first time in my local pool for over 20 years. I was always worried I would bump into someone I know and would be embarrassed of how I look without the clothes. It was a pretty big thing to take the kids swimming yesterday and something I will be doing a lot more.

A walk around the town scheduled tomorrow to hide some stones we've painted throughout the week and then going to London Zoo and the Natural History Museum on Friday. If my leg is feeling up to it I have a 40 mile bike ride planned for Saturday, I'm not sure if I'm ready for it or not though so I might end up driving it and leaving it for another day.

Not looking forward to the weigh in this week to be honest. I've been very lazy compared to usual due to my leg. I've not hit anywhere near the 10k steps any days and have spent 4 days pretty much leg up watching the world go past.

Bert, don't put so much pressure on yourself! The great thing about SW is you don't have to do tonnes of exercise to lose weight. They tend to encourage "Body Magic" which starts off at like, a brisk walk haha!

Also, exercise will initially slow weight loss down as it's turning fat to muscle... so too much too quick may not even show the results that you want on the scale.

You must feel so much better in yourself already having lost 4 stone right?

Good luck for WI, I'm the same day as you

xx

Bert, don't put so much pressure on yourself! The great thing about SW is you don't have to do tonnes of exercise to lose weight. They tend to encourage "Body Magic" which starts off at like, a brisk walk haha!

Also, exercise will initially slow weight loss down as it's turning fat to muscle... so too much too quick may not even show the results that you want on the scale.

You must feel so much better in yourself already having lost 4 stone right?

Good luck for WI, I'm the same day as you

xx

That's looking very true, cheers! I lost almost double this week in comparison to last week and I have done considerably less exercise this week compared to last (and had a bloody chinese takeaway last night as our visit to London overran by 3 hours more than we expected!). Who has a takeaway the evening before a weigh in :doh:

Anyway, -3.5lbs this week and that takes me over the 4.5 stone off :)

I've had a few more comments on how noticeable the weight loss is which is reassuring.

Good luck with your weigh in as well @KimtobeSlim

That's looking very true, cheers! I lost almost double this week in comparison to last week and I have done considerably less exercise this week compared to last (and had a bloody chinese takeaway last night as our visit to London overran by 3 hours more than we expected!). Who has a takeaway the evening before a weigh in :doh:

Anyway, -3.5lbs this week and that takes me over the 4.5 stone off :)

I've had a few more comments on how noticeable the weight loss is which is reassuring.

Good luck with your weigh in as well @KimtobeSlim
Well done, Bert.

I think it takes 3 to 4 stone for people to comment as they are worried that they may be mistaken earlier!

Then it's the "loo roll" or "paper towel" theory. .
"Called the “paper towel” analogy, this is a brilliant way to really put the whole process of weight loss in a great and healthier perspective: The lesson to be learned is that fat, like paper towels, comes off in sheets. When you are heavy, you are big around. And when you are big around, that fat is spread over a MUCH larger area - just like that outside towel sheet.​
The closer you get to the lean you, the more each lost pound of fat shows, because it is spread over a smaller area. While the outside sheet may only cover 1 layer of the roll, the inside sheet may go around 4 times. That last sheet looks like it gives you 4 times the results of the first sheet, but in reality, the results are the same - perception is just different!"​

Well done, Bert.

I think it takes 3 to 4 stone for people to comment as they are worried that they may be mistaken earlier!

Then it's the "loo roll" or "paper towel" theory. .
"Called the “paper towel” analogy, this is a brilliant way to really put the whole process of weight loss in a great and healthier perspective: The lesson to be learned is that fat, like paper towels, comes off in sheets. When you are heavy, you are big around. And when you are big around, that fat is spread over a MUCH larger area - just like that outside towel sheet.​
The closer you get to the lean you, the more each lost pound of fat shows, because it is spread over a smaller area. While the outside sheet may only cover 1 layer of the roll, the inside sheet may go around 4 times. That last sheet looks like it gives you 4 times the results of the first sheet, but in reality, the results are the same - perception is just different!"​

Haha that's a cracking theory.

I think commenting on weight is a bit of a touchy subject. I wasn't going to post any personal pics on here but here' one... The hair needs to go though :D

1535179951530.png

Well done Bert fantastic loss! You can definitely see the difference already. That theory is amazing Ali I completely agree... when there isn’t as much fat to lose, when you do lose it definitely shows quicker.

I only lost 1lb this week! I doubled my intake of water this week so I’m praying it all releases next week 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼

I only lost 1lb this week! I doubled my intake of water this week so I’m praying it all releases next week 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼

I was told at the clinic today that women particularly, even post menopausal, can have a slow week every month, espe cially if they had good losses the week before. Funny that my weight at the clinic showed 0.1kg up, when my home scales show I am 5lbs down. That's the difference between weighing post ablutions at home, and weighimg at the clinic after drinking water, coffee and a shake!!

Water intake increases: good idea - but don't flood yourself. Ketosis means you are peeing out more salt so you can become light headed if you drink too much. So don't exceed yr diet's recommended amount. Water does, of course assist your liver in releasing the fat.

My blood tests a month in show my liver function is already normal. No fatty liver for me - with just 10% of starting weight shed. As my total target is 100Lbs+, that's amazing to me. Apparently my cholesterol is a little high - but it's HDL (the good sort) that protects the heart etc, that's cool!

Bert:
You are emerging from that coverage - and very good you look too. Why not grow your hair instead of cutting it?!
Even though you are leaning on the gorilla, it looks like you are holding your head up more too.

Which reminds me - when I am fat, I lean on things. When I was slinkier, I didn't.

Have a fab week, y'all.

Bert:
You are emerging from that coverage - and very good you look too. Why not grow your hair instead of cutting it?!
Even though you are leaning on the gorilla, it looks like you are holding your head up more too.

Which reminds me - when I am fat, I lean on things. When I was slinkier, I didn't.

Have a fab week, y'all.

Busy week being school holidays so just seen this!

My wife hated my hair longer, especially the facial hair, so I've gone bald again. I regretted it at first but have now come around to it. My head looks half the bloody size. A quick google and this is how I feel :rolleyes:

050e1076bcae8f8958231c663b254f5b0949e1-wm.jpg

Anyway, busy week again. The joys of Peppa Pig World, Hastings aquarium and beach, swimming yesterday and we're off on a 5-10 mile walk in a minute. I also had my first proper off day meal after Peppa Pig World. It was a 7am-8pm day so when we got home we had a chippy takeaway. I had a big old greasy quarter pounder with cheese, burger sauce and garlic mayo and then large chips and ketchup. It's the first time I've had sauce since starting slimming world early June as it's not syn free. It's also the first time I've properly had bread since then. It was amazing, bloody amazing.

Family bbq on Saturday but I've put my food order in for steak, chicken, jacket potato and corn on the cob. I'm going syn free. I had also planned on having my first alcohol for this but due to it being a daytime bbq I've opted out of it. The alcohol free diet is working well, feeling much better for it.

I've also had a midweek weigh in the past two days to check out the impact of the burger and chips to see if I need to run a marathon the next two days to work it off but all is looking good and I'm pretty optimistic on hitting the 5 stone off by next Saturday (potentially this Saturday).

My leg is also healing but still struggling to bend it past a certain position. Not an issue for cycling to work thankfully so I can resume that on Monday.

The only downside of this week is in my head all I can hear is bloody Peppa Pig music after enduring it for approx 7 hours on Tuesday queuing up for rides.

7.5lbs off this week :eek:

13th week of loss and I've hit the 5 stone off and almost 20% of my original weight.

Seeing the scales under 22 stone was brilliant. When I see a 19 on there it will be bloody amazing. My wife isn't too happy as it's closer to when she said she will join me!

13th week of loss and I've hit the 5 stone off and almost 20% of my original weight.

Seeing the scales under 22 stone was brilliant. When I see a 19 on there it will be bloody amazing. My wife isn't too happy as it's closer to when she said she will join me!
Fab loss. well done. Amazzzing.

Last edited:

Awesome stuff Bert really well done 🤗

Fan-dabby-dozy

You are amazing. Keep it up.:)

Just read all your thread Bert, your an inspiration, thoroughly enjoying following your journey, keep going, your doing so well and look lovely

Congratulations & Well Done Bert :0clapper::bestwishes::thankyouthankyou::winner:

5 stone gone! WOW!

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Hahaha bless your wife! That's incredible Bert well done - you just keep on inspiring!

Just seen I've had an email from slimming world :)

1535979410626.png

Did my 7 mile cycle to work this morning, bloody hard work. It's much harder first thing in the morning with a bit of fruit in you! Plenty of positive reactions at work today regarding the weight and how the hair cut has helped show how much I've lost!

Back