Big losses - how?

iowsara

Hi everyone.

While lurking around here and on the facebook site I've seen some really really amazing losses. I have in the past had some pretty good losses myself but this time around its going fairly slowly. I've lost 9lb in 5 weeks, which don't get me wrong I am thrilled with - but with a fair chunk of weight to lose it would be really nice to have a bit of a booster and a really good loss!

I'm just wondering how those that lose 6, 7, 8lbs plus in a week manage it (i'd be really chuffed with half of that). I have been recording everything I eat, I'm within my syns, eat plenty and have been sticking to plan 100%.

This week I'm upping my water, downing my diet coke habit (only had 2 in the last 5 days) and I'm going to mix up my Healthy B's and meals as much as I can. Breakfasts I am going to change as they are generally quite similar and evening meals, I have made a weekly meal planner. Lunchtimes are a bit more tricky as I'm at work and restricted to what I can have there as meals are supplied, but I will vary it slightly each day.

Exercise wise I'm not doing much but trying to get on the wii for half an hour 2 or 3 times a week.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to how I can boost my loss? Thanks :)

Unfortunately, I'm not lucky enough to have those high losses but it sounds like you are doing everything you can so fingers crossed for next WI!

Unfortunately, I'm not lucky enough to have those high losses but it sounds like you are doing everything you can so fingers crossed for next WI!

Looks like you're doing great though NiaX and some good losses there, well done :) Fingers crossed I'm doing all I can, 1 good loss would be really nice!

Thanks Starlight, yep there are obviously quite a few where it is their first week but there seem to be lots of people regularly losing 4/5lbs. That kind of loss just as a one off would be so nice as I didn't have a great loss my first week. Fingers crossed, but at the end of the day as long as its coming of it doesn't matter how long it takes :)

When I started SW I consistently lost 3 or 4lbs a week I was religiously 100% about food (obsessed some would say) and I worked out for an hour a day 7 days a week, twice a week that was bootcamp, the others in the gym. Then I got to my 3stone goal & decided to maintain for a while.

I'm now trying to battle the last stone, maybe two and my losses arnt as big this time maybe 2lbs if I'm lucky but that's ok because it's not a race, more a way of life for us now.

I found my biggest losses came first time around as I was eating a scrambled eggs, fruit salad & yoghurt for breakfast, superspeed soup & Ryvita with marmite for lunch, fruit for snacks, then I used to have chicken stirfry in the evening & a curly wirly as my treat :)
Also I switched to red days after a couple of months & it really boosted my weight loss. Hope this helps :)

I have to say that I used to envy these people who had such massive losses, but then started to get my head around the theory of slow and steady, you know the like the tortoise and the hare story.

I have been on SW for 20 weeks, and only this week got my one stone award, and coincidentally my biggest loss of all in one week, which was 3.5lbs, but what I can say is that I have not deprived myself of meals out, wine or anything else I've fancied, so, on that basis I am very pleased with my progress.

I also do mainly red days now, and only do extra easy if my main meal is going to include pasta or rice.

You're losing at about the right rate hun, and whilst it is nice once in a while to get a big loss, its more important that you consistently lose, and feel like you can stick to it long term. Your ideas for boosting losses are spot on as well. Remember that there are loads of superfree foods that aren't veg too - my new find is Smoked Haddock (youngs do a frozen one which you can nuke in 5mins!). If you like it, you can eat it for any meal i think. I try & have some type of fish for lunch or dinner all weekdays now.
I have a girl in my group who has lost 2.5 st in 14 weeks. I've lost a little under that in about 20 weeks. I had a chat with her the other day (hoping to get tips). Turns out she does not use her syns at all, and barely eats anything, and she's beginning to struggle & feeling like she will give in. Sometimes slow & steady gets you there quicker x

I think your starting weight has a lot to do with it, if you are 10 stone overweight it's a lot easier to drop a few lbs than if you only have a stone to go.

I've never lost more than 4.5lbs in a week and that's only happened a couple of times, but my sister regularly gets 7-10lb losses. I'm not too upset about it, the upside for me is that I don't gain quickly either - when I've had a real blowout week and been off plan 4 or 5 days I have only gained 1-2lbs.

I've never lost more than 4.5lbs in a week and that's only happened a couple of times, but my sister regularly gets 7-10lb losses. I'm not too upset about it, the upside for me is that I don't gain quickly either - when I've had a real blowout week and been off plan 4 or 5 days I have only gained 1-2lbs.

This is SO true- big losses does seem to equal big gains. Also, if you are anything like me you'll find that when you do have a 'blow out' you can still lose a little bit. I think the reason this is te case is that you stick to plan for most of the week, and because you don't feel restricted, even when you do have a 'blow out' its not even remotely as bad as before SW. To give you an example, this past weekend I was at a hen do and I drank ALOT of wine and also cocktails. I also ate cake and croissants and butter. However, when I ordered food in a restaurant I ordered a small rissotto, and a big side salad. This was not even remotely on plan, but it was a better choice than I would have made before SW. When I weighed in on Tuesday, I had lost 1.5lbs!

This is SO true- big losses does seem to equal big gains. Also, if you are anything like me you'll find that when you do have a 'blow out' you can still lose a little bit. I think the reason this is te case is that you stick to plan for most of the week, and because you don't feel restricted, even when you do have a 'blow out' its not even remotely as bad as before SW. To give you an example, this past weekend I was at a hen do and I drank ALOT of wine and also cocktails. I also ate cake and croissants and butter. However, when I ordered food in a restaurant I ordered a small rissotto, and a big side salad. This was not even remotely on plan, but it was a better choice than I would have made before SW. When I weighed in on Tuesday, I had lost 1.5lbs!

I think you are my twin! I am glad to have small losses and small gains rather than extremes in either direction - someone in my group gained 16lbs on a 14 day holiday!!!

I make healthier choices instinctively now, and my body tells me what it needs. When I have had an unhealthy Saturday night takeaway and mucho wine (even if within syns) all I fancy on Sunday is vegetables and fruit and yoghurt, whereas before I would have combatted a hangover with a fryup and more booze!

I don't get big losses, but am averaging 2lbs a week, over 28 weeks, so I think that's pretty good. It's a reasonable speed and it's all heading int he right direction. I do stick to plan 100% and I have taken up martial arts which I do twice a week, but I eat totally normally, large portions and drink tons of diet coke. I could speed it up, but my way doesn't feel like a diet at all and I'm still netting the results.

I think if you have a lot to lose, as I do, then it's not about going for those huge losses, it's about reprogramming your life so that it's sutainable and enjoyable and something you'll be able to keep up forever.

I too totally agree with the comments above, both me and my other half believe that the less you deprive yourself to begin with, as the weight loss slows down (which inevitably it will) then there is more to cut back on. We are big fans of Ee as my other half won't eat fruit and veg but we both love pasta. We have one big blow out per week (usually after weigh in) but sometimes have a cheeky treat if out with family etc. At the moment we average a loss of about 1-3lb per week but we try to eat all free foods and still drink alcohol as normal without measuring - tho I try to avoid wine and stick to vodka with diet coke, the other half still has a chocolate bar nearly every day as he is a chocoholic! Whilst I sometimes have 2 hea portions of cheese instead of just the 1 allowed on Ee (cheese is my downfall!) but we have switched to low low as you can have 42 g as a hea instead of 28 g for normal cheese ( and it's lovely and creamy too!) we have found the plan really easy to stick to this was as we don't feel like there is anything we can't have - unlike last year when we tried the red and green plan and quit after a few months! This time I have lost 19lb since around feb and my other half is just getting his stone! Also whenthe loss starts to slow we have more things to cut down on. I'd rather lose the weight slowly ( although it's sometimes frustrating cos I want to be slim now!!) but by making small changes the weight should stay off for good this time.

I just wanted to echo what others have said...I'm one of those people who seem to lose quite quickly, but the downside I not only gain quickly, I also find it difficult to maintain!! Good luck, you are doing great!!xx

I've lost 4lb for the last four weeks and its simply by trying to eat as many speed foods as possible. Literally the only meal I have which mainly non-speed is breakfast. Chicken/fish, stir-fry, vegatables and salad are what my lunches and dinners generally consist of.

Back