Biking it!!

ColJack

Gold Member
Ok, bike bought.
Few bits to sort before it's ready but look out world, I'm on two wheels again at the weekend.

Time to test that old adage "like riding a bike, you never forget"..
My last bike was when I was 15 doing a paper round.
I'm 36 now!!!

Got a lock from tesco but do I need a helmet?
Am I allowed on the footpath?

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

Yeah that's brilliant news. I cycle to work, weather permitting & really enjoy it. But my car has been in the garage since last Monday & I'm really feeling a bit jaded with cycling every day & I've cycled to the shops at the weekend. Saying that I've probably saved myself lots of money in petrol.

I don't have a helmet, but yes you really should have one, my sister keeps going on at me for not having one & seeing as I cycle home on a main road, I suppose i am being a bit stupid. You can't cycle on the pavement unless it is a cycle path, on my way to work there is a pavement which 'doubles up' as a cycle path & there really isn't enough room for a cyclist & pedestrian. I think you can get fined for cycling on the pavement if it's not a cycle path.

Don't forget your high viz for eve cycling & pump just in case, Happy Cycling:D

I did this last summer. Hadn't ridden a bike since I was about 12. It was so strange to get on again - I could remember how to ride but couldn't do it, I wobbled down the road and was soooo nervous of going fast. My first few attempts had my boyfriend walking next to me and me squeeking at him that I was going too fast.....:confused:. Now I'm more confident and we can go out together, but he has to make the hand signals! I'm such a wuss!!

You can't be worse than that surely!!!

I did this last summer. Hadn't ridden a bike since I was about 12. It was so strange to get on again - I could remember how to ride but couldn't do it, I wobbled down the road and was soooo nervous of going fast. My first few attempts had my boyfriend walking next to me and me squeeking at him that I was going too fast.....:confused:. Now I'm more confident and we can go out together, but he has to make the hand signals! I'm such a wuss!!

You can't be worse than that surely!!!
r
yes you can, I bought a bike when my doctor said it would be good for knees - all I managed was falling off of it! luckily, only my pride was hurt

ColJack, I use my helmet on the main roads and country roads, but when I'm not working I cycle a cycle route for leisure which is trafficless and I don't use a helmet there.

As part of my commute I go on the side of the road because it is marked for bicycles but sometimes I have to go on the pavement but only if I'm coming to a roundabout or junction.

Also I'm not sure what kind of shoes you're wearing but try to wear shoes with as tough a sole as possible. I wore Aasic running shoes for a few weeks and they were too soft in the sole, I was losing power on the pedals having to push harder for less result, and getting less control. I'm wearing flat sole trainers right now but investing in proper bike shoes on Thursday.

Halfords have a sale on and do a good pair of HBH cycle shoes for £32 in their sale, perfect for commuting. Also this Sunday Aldi will be doing cycling accessories in store, no word yet on what will be available but they've sold cycling shoes and clothes before, so if you have one nearby check it out from Sunday onwards

Happy cycling, let us know how you get on!

you should definately get a helmet. i cringe when i see people on bikes not wearing helmets.
my boyfriend fell off his bike last year, and you should of seen the state of his head and face. and that was with a helmet!! the helmet had cracked and a big section of it was broken away. if he hadnt of been wearing the helmet that would of been his skull!

HELMETS SAVE LIFES!!!

anywho, have fun on your bike!

Ok, bike bought.
Few bits to sort before it's ready but look out world, I'm on two wheels again at the weekend.

Time to test that old adage "like riding a bike, you never forget"..
My last bike was when I was 15 doing a paper round.
I'm 36 now!!!

Am I allowed on the footpath?

You really don't forget how to ride a bike :) I was going to buy one a month or so ago, took it for a test ride around the car park and managed to stay on it the whole time! Was a bit wobbly at first mind :rolleyes:

I would get a helmet definitely, they're inexpensive and as someone has already said they do save lives :)

Have fun!!

Good luck and enjoy your new bike and be sure to wear your helmet:whoopass:...you hear so many sad stories of adults and children who were killed or left with serious brain injury that could of been prevented had they worn a helmet.

Congratulations and well done on your weight loss! You are inspirational:happy096:

My husband is a keen cyclist and seeing him do alot of cycling it inspired me. I wear a helmet and he doesn't, but I definately think you should. I started cycling to work last summer which I really enjoyed but unfortunately I have moved work places now and it is far too hilly to ride. Please beware of cycling on towpaths if you have very thin wheels as they have no grip and you will fall off. This year I completed the London to Brighton bike ride (54 miles) and had a great time. I love cycling now nad try and get out whenever I can.
Well done on the weight loss you have done amazingly well.

Please please please, get lights, and hi vis jacket! I get so worried I'm going to hit the idiots round here who wear dark clothing and no lights!

Have fun, oh get some gel shorts!

Ouch!!!!!
Definitely need a wider / padded seat!!!
First time out today, short jaunt to the aldi ( about 1 mile round trip, mostly uphill on the way back ) and I was a bit wobbly and apprehensive of traffic.
Need to go out for short rides every night for a bit, it nearly killed me on the way back.... :(

ColJack said:
Ouch!!!!!
Definitely need a wider / padded seat!!!
First time out today, short jaunt to the aldi ( about 1 mile round trip, mostly uphill on the way back ) and I was a bit wobbly and apprehensive of traffic.
Need to go out for short rides every night for a bit, it nearly killed me on the way back.... :(

Padded gel seat and padded shorts hun! Well done you xx

On Amazon you can find padded cycle shorts by a company called Tenn, they're excellent value for money and very comfortable, I recommend!

Back